Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:05:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ice-Dice.com On Security  (Read 1431 times)
haightst

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 02:43:13 AM

since you you brought up Apple Computers(NASDAQ: AAPL)
 *Did you even bother to check with them to see if it's ok to use their iphone likeness and design? just wondering...!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
knowitnothing

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 02:46:33 AM

*Did you even bother to check with them to see if it's ok to use their iphone likeness and design? just wondering...!

The layout is due to jquerymobile, shall we keep on topic ?
haightst

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 02:57:54 AM

The layout is due to jquerymobile, shall we keep on topic ?

my bad totally off topic i guess! ?

http://www.famouslogos.net/images/bmw-logo-evolution.jpg
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 03:06:19 AM

Unfortunately, marketing doesn't make a site safe.

It is even worse that now I'm not sure if you don't know how your 2FA method works. Here is your claim about 2FA: "... they will have to steal your physical mobile phone in order to login or withdraw from your account". That is simply false, specially false "Since your computer may be infected with viruses, trojans, or key loggers ...". All they need to do is steal the 2FA key you provide in your site, which users may store in very unsafe forms. With that key they can generate as many authentication tokens as they wish, there is no need to steal a phone.

To defeat any claims you make (except possibly about the cold storage), all it takes is a single not-so-nice employer at your hosting provider fusa.be.

Well safety is relative. The point is we are trying to be as safe as we can. There is nothing we can do if our hosting company screws us over, but thats what cold storage is for. Then again, you can say that about any site who is hosting their server some where on the internet.

Do you really take people's balance and send it to bank vaults and secure geological places? This sounds a lot like Coinbase's security page!

Also compare the texts on https://coinbase.com/whitehat and https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=318347.msg3413292#msg3413292

Yes. Could you please explain the similarities?

My issue with that is that you copied their text and promoted it using your service, without ever mentioning that you didn't write that yourself but copied from coinbase (I didn't even claim you copied from them, but now you basically said that is the case). I already wrote something similar to this in your other post.

Also, I can't say what I said about every other site hosted somewhere in the internet because I personally know a couple of places that goes to much greater extent to actually protect their servers. The lack of security starts with one server holding all your application, which happens to be the same one directly exposed to everyone accessing your site. It is annoying to see a marketing site claiming to be safe, and giving a false sense of security to their users.

What are those servers that you recommend? I wouldn't mind checking them out.

Soooo what you have typed is a lie and is copied from coinbase?

no it's not a lie, just because apple can make iphone that can make calls doesn't mean google can't make android to make calls. We are doing everything listed there. We just decided to make it public like coinbase did.

The thing is that you (almost) copied coinbase's statement word for word.

icedicedavid (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Ice-Dice.com | Massive Referral Bonus!

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 04:00:53 AM

It is even worse that now I'm not sure if you don't know how your 2FA method works. Here is your claim about 2FA: "... they will have to steal your physical mobile phone in order to login or withdraw from your account". That is simply false, specially false "Since your computer may be infected with viruses, trojans, or key loggers ...". All they need to do is steal the 2FA key you provide in your site, which users may store in very unsafe forms. With that key they can generate as many authentication tokens as they wish, there is no need to steal a phone.

To defeat any claims you make (except possibly about the cold storage), all it takes is a single not-so-nice employer at your hosting provider fusa.be.

Well safety is relative. The point is we are trying to be as safe as we can. There is nothing we can do if our hosting company screws us over, but thats what cold storage is for. Then again, you can say that about any site who is hosting their server some where on the internet.

Do you really take people's balance and send it to bank vaults and secure geological places? This sounds a lot like Coinbase's security page!

Also compare the texts on https://coinbase.com/whitehat and https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=318347.msg3413292#msg3413292

My issue with that is that you copied their text and promoted it using your service, without ever mentioning that you didn't write that yourself but copied from coinbase (I didn't even claim you copied from them, but now you basically said that is the case). I already wrote something similar to this in your other post.

Also, I can't say what I said about every other site hosted somewhere in the internet because I personally know a couple of places that goes to much greater extent to actually protect their servers. The lack of security starts with one server holding all your application, which happens to be the same one directly exposed to everyone accessing your site. It is annoying to see a marketing site claiming to be safe, and giving a false sense of security to their users.

no it's not a lie, just because apple can make iphone that can make calls doesn't mean google can't make android to make calls. We are doing everything listed there. We just decided to make it public like coinbase did.

for the bug bounty program?

nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 04:16:08 AM

Well I noticed that your security page is very similar to Coinbase's and someone else noticed the bug thing.

icedicedavid (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 04:59:19 AM

Well I noticed that your security page is very similar to Coinbase's and someone else noticed the bug thing.

The security page I typed everything 100% myself (hence all the grammar and spelling mistakes people found earlier). I didn't write anything that was not true.

nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 05:04:30 AM

The security page I typed everything 100% myself (hence all the grammar and spelling mistakes people found earlier). I didn't write anything that was not true.

ok... That clears things up... Just out of curiosity though, how and why do you send money all over the world, and to banks? What if you need some of it?

icedicedavid (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 05:20:46 AM

ok... That clears things up... Just out of curiosity though, how and why do you send money all over the world, and to banks? What if you need some of it?

How it works is each bitcoin wallet has a private key (the file which allows you to control the wallet). If you write the down the key, it looks something like this: "544VdNCEzTh3fLz3", on a piece of paper, and store it in a bank vault. You will ensure that in the case where your computer dies, you can go to the bank vault, take out the piece of paper, go on a new computer, download bitcoin wallet and type in the private key "544VdNCEzTh3fLz3" and restore the coins. It's a safety feature to avoid loss of funds due to hardware failures.

nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 05:25:05 AM

How it works is each bitcoin wallet has a private key (the file which allows you to control the wallet). If you write the down the key, it looks something like this: "544VdNCEzTh3fLz3", on a piece of paper, and store it in a bank vault. You will ensure that in the case where your computer dies, you can go to the bank vault, take out the piece of paper, go on a new computer, download bitcoin wallet and type in the private key "544VdNCEzTh3fLz3" and restore the coins. It's a safety feature to avoid loss of funds due to hardware failures.

OK. I see... You have access to the funds, but just in case the private key is written down and in a vault, right?

icedicedavid (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 05:54:12 AM

OK. I see... You have access to the funds, but just in case the private key is written down and in a vault, right?

yes

haightst

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 12:51:42 PM

this will not help you as this brings the illegal funds under government regulation, but i'm sure you have this part sorted out ..lol
icedicedavid (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 09:13:32 PM

this will not help you as this brings the illegal funds under government regulation, but i'm sure you have this part sorted out ..lol

sure buddy

haightst

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 10:35:41 PM

what?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: