Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:52:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Any advice on how I can earn merit?  (Read 1114 times)
EthanB

Activity: 462
Merit: 336

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 12:29:58 AM
Merited by TMAN (5), The Sceptical Chymist (1)

This is true, it is going to take time to become knowledgeable and have something to say that stands out. From a quick look at your post history, you are entirely focused on altcoins. This being the Bitcoin Forum may also be a bit of a handicap to you.

There is true and you should follow the advice of the people, like TheQuinn, that know more than you. There is a shortage of merit in sub-sections, which is a point of contention and something we're working to improve as a whole.

We’ll that’s the kind of answers you’d expect from someone who is in the comfortable position to sit on a nice stash of merit. From your perspective it is easy to say that someone shouldn’t worry about merit.
I also grant you that I haven’t been around here for a long time, but definitely not that I haven’t been active. That’s definitely not the kind of “advice” I had hoped for....

A nice stash of merit? I was given the same amount as everybody else to begin with. I do not have any expertise or knowledge that somebody else doesn't have access to. If you are on this forum you have access to every resource and piece of information that I use to formulate my posts and thoughts relating to Bitcoin. Wouldn't it seem to make sense that acting desperate for merit is going to work against you when attempting to acquire merit? Does a hardworking executive or a street beggar make more money? Why? The executive is worried about their company, fulfilling a duty and looking beyond the money. You need to do the same, and set your sights beyond merit. If you are only focused on merit, then your post quality, creativity, opinions and ability to critically think are going to suffer dramatically.

I don't know what kind of advice you are looking for. There is no easy answer for you to earn merit, and again, the best advice I can give you is to stop being worried about merit. I don't know why my perspective on merit is anymore "privileged" than yours, when I had to earn my merit the same as everyone else. The advice you're hoping for is "Give compliments! Make Jokes! Post Memes! = Merit". Either take some real advice, or continue to act like you're above the advice I'm giving you. It seems like you already know everything there is to know and you're just looking for something to verify your already formulated conclusions.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mc_Moneysack (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 5

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 07:06:26 AM

A nice stash of merit? I was given the same amount as everybody else to begin with.

Yes, you were given the same amount as everyone else, but you had the luxury of ranking up first through mere activity. If I am not mistaken you got 250 merits when the system was introduced, of which you can give away half. So the system even favoured shitposters, who were simply lucky to be around a bit longer than newcomers who now create decent Content but struggly to rank up. I am absolutely not saying that you don't deserve the merit you got, since you really seem to care about quality, but a system that is based on seniority alaways creates tensions. It is something that I know very well from work, where people with old contracts earn a lot more money simply because they have been around for a long time but not because they perform better than younger colleagues.

Anyhow, I didn't want to start a general discussion about the merit system but to ask for advice how I can improve. I would thus like to thank those who didn't just tell me random stuff like be more patient, but gave me real feedback. I will in the future thus try the following:

- be more active in other sections of the forum. The altcoins section doesn't seem to be the right place to get noticed
- don't be too European and not inverse dots and commas  Smiley
- make concise rather than lengthy posts
- don't quote unnecessary parts of a post
- support newbies and answer their questions

SHIVOM  ──  The Future is your Genome! Own it.
Join our Token Campaign!  ──  https://shivom.io/
sparg

Activity: 280
Merit: 110

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 07:30:56 AM

It is not a matter of 3 words. It is a matter of the content whether it was useful or not. You can answer a thread using only a sentence or even less. You do not need to type a long paragraph to answer a thread when it can be answered with only one sentence. Socrates said "All I know is that I know nothing." That statement is surely full of words and thoughts. So, get to the point and be informative.

Dude, I reported two times this post "Yes, yesterday he wrote that he had left 9% of his coin" that got 50 merits just for this. Now tell me how much did you have to learn from this post?

Link to the post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2770539.msg28896442#msg28896442

I reported this post over a month ago and it is still there.

TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2018, 07:32:41 AM

Yes, you were given the same amount as everyone else, but you had the luxury of ranking up first through mere activity. If I am not mistaken you got 250 merits when the system was introduced, of which you can give away half.

The amount of sMerit wasn't that high. I got 250 Merit as a Sr. Member and only 22 sMerit to use.

When a new system is introduced there has to be some way of grandfathering in the existing members. It may not seem particularly fair but there probably wasn't a better way of doing it.

- be more active in other sections of the forum. The altcoins section doesn't seem to be the right place to get noticed
- don't be too European and not inverse dots and commas  Smiley
- make concise rather than lengthy posts
- don't quote unnecessary parts of a post
- support newbies and answer their questions

I'm glad you got some decent advice out of this.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
BTCeminjas

Activity: 322
Merit: 23

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 11:03:50 AM

I agree with you to a point.
Merit system made it harder for some of us to rank up. For those of us who are honest and don't bend the rules to do this because is see that those who farm are still doing their thing. There are many reports of people who receive merits for a one line post of maybe 3 words and they are not punished.
I think that the wise-guys are still doing their thing while we are taking the punishment.  
It is not a matter of 3 words. It is a matter of the content whether it was useful or not. You can answer a thread using only a sentence or even less. You do not need to type a long paragraph to answer a thread when it can be answered with only one sentence. Socrates said "All I know is that I know nothing." That statement is surely full of words and thoughts. So, get to the point and be informative.
Very informative mate, no matter how short your sentence post as long as your statement will contribute knowledge to a sewer in the forum.

OP just keep on posting the thread that having meritable, avoid those shit-threads it is may delete a post by a moderator.
Those sections here in the forum that full of discussion mostly have nonsense and shitpost, just continue to post a good quality post and help the forum from spammers and shitposting.
Or just go to service section there's many threads their giving smerit for those newbie rank to member rank.
Hanazawa

Activity: 181
Merit: 4

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 01:26:22 PM

Dear all,

I know, this is yet another thread about merit, but I’ve been really asking myself if I am doing anything wrong, which is why I had to write this post.

I’ve been quite active on this forum for some time and have struggled to rank up since the new merit system was introduced.

When merit was introduced, I read many threads in which people said that the system would be beneficial for those who would write quality threads and display a decent command of English. I would argue that my posts generally meet these criteria. Of course I sometimes also write short posts (like everyone else on here), but I have also created some quality and helpful content, which sometimes took me up to an hour to write and research. The result is zero to hardly any merit. I sometimes have the feeling that there is simply too much content on this forum in order to get noticed by people who would be able to give you merit or people who could give you merit simply can’t appreciate the content due to their own lack of language skills. While quality seems to remain unnoticed, there are tons of shitposts that receive merit for reasons that are beyond my imagination.

I was therefore wondering if I am doing anything wrong. Is there anything else I can do beyond putting time in my threads and trying to use correct language to get merit?

I would appreciate if you had any advice for me.

Merits system are just an strategical way of ranking, it will be needed a long period of time to earn this merit. It is not also classified as a quality post either you are posting miles of words or fill with hyperlinks, rather is it classified when your post is helping others or it really helps in the forum.

► HackenAI ◄ (http://url=https://hacken.ai/) ♦ HackenAI - Personal Cybersecurity Application ♦ ► H (http://url=https://hacken.ai/)
Emilyearl

Activity: 700
Merit: 105

APESWAP

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 07:33:45 PM

You already got 3merits. It's same way you got those three that you will get others. Or just forget merit as it's being shared amongst friends and well wishers and buyers. Diversify your bounty hunting skills to other areas that rank is not a determinant of payouts. Like blogging and others.
Flayme

Activity: 210
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 11:23:50 PM

Dear all,

I know, this is yet another thread about merit, but I’ve been really asking myself if I am doing anything wrong, which is why I had to write this post.

I’ve been quite active on this forum for some time and have struggled to rank up since the new merit system was introduced.

When merit was introduced, I read many threads in which people said that the system would be beneficial for those who would write quality threads and display a decent command of English. I would argue that my posts generally meet these criteria. Of course I sometimes also write short posts (like everyone else on here), but I have also created some quality and helpful content, which sometimes took me up to an hour to write and research. The result is zero to hardly any merit. I sometimes have the feeling that there is simply too much content on this forum in order to get noticed by people who would be able to give you merit or people who could give you merit simply can’t appreciate the content due to their own lack of language skills. While quality seems to remain unnoticed, there are tons of shitposts that receive merit for reasons that are beyond my imagination.

I was therefore wondering if I am doing anything wrong. Is there anything else I can do beyond putting time in my threads and trying to use correct language to get merit?

We are the same  because I'm newbie also. They said thay posting of quality topic that helps to this forum and for you to get merit.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 01:50:42 PM
Merited by TMAN (5), Pearls Before Swine (3)

Dear all,

I just started with cryptos. I would say that I spend around an hour per day, mostly when I'm on public transportation, since I don't have a lot of free time.

Therein lies the rub.
ryan2018

Activity: 378

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 12:45:40 AM

You have got 4 merit now. Congrats friend !!. Teach me, friend .. I always try to be active in this forum like you, and let this forum work. pray for me to get a lot of merit.
Pearls Before Swine

Activity: 1190
Merit: 306

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 12:56:33 AM

Therein lies the rub.
I will fellate you like a sex queen if ever we are in the same zip code.
FRJ

Activity: 280
Merit: 15

The Worlds Most Advanced Distributed Computer

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 04:19:55 AM

To me,earning merit is hard as well as easy. Hard,because most of the members don't read our posts. Some are very much eager to read the posts of high ranked members like HERO or LEGENDARY.. They don't have enough trust on our posts.Again,if you post where there are already many pages,then your post whether it is high qualitative or not,will not be read.So,you can't earn merit.So,you should post on the new questions required and the post must be constructive.

Easy,because,if you are confident about the quality of your post,and if any sincere member reads it attentively, then you can be sure to get merits. Only quality posts can bring you merits..

YuTü.Co.in

Activity: 728
Merit: 350

Re-monetizing YouTubers via Crypto-commodities

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2018, 07:04:54 PM

Therein lies the rub.
I will fellate you like a sex queen if ever we are in the same zip code.

If that's a promise, I'll have them 3 sM you kindly gave me tattooed on my left cheek with the caption "PBS was here ... Oink Oink".  Grin Grin Grin

<replying with one of my 714 alts>

btcsmlcmnr

Activity: 546
Merit: 159

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 02:44:33 AM
Merited by TMAN (1), Mc_Moneysack (1)

<snip>

I just started with cryptos. I would say that I spend around an hour per day, mostly when I'm on public transportation, since I don't have a lot of free time.
To be honest, I really hate such a over-bold, highlighted threads like those ones (Hate to say this but I can not say something different, it's my real feelings when I read them).
Over-highlighted threads' authors should be added into Ignore list by serious users in the forum.
Just my recommendations. I have already put this guy into my Ignore list.
TheHas

Activity: 616
Merit: 167

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 06:19:42 AM
Merited by TMAN (2)

Posting in altcoins will earn you little (based on my own experience!) even if you write something informative and useful. I think alot of the good posts get buried in the 'noise' of low quality/spam like posts used to meet bounty campaign quotas. It's a shame, since I like learning about new altcoins.

Most that I can suggest from my limited experience is to try and mix it up a bit, and if you like or want to support altcoins, use your Smerit to reward good posts in that forum.

Also, posting about why you don't get merits or the pros/cons of the merit system seems to get a disproportionately high amount of merit. Go figure.

Also, if you speak Russian or another language, there seems to be a lot of merit going through some of those sub forums. You may think I'm joking but seriously, have a look. If English isn't your primary language that could actually play in your favour in some forums, depending on the specific language.
Mc_Moneysack (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 5

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 06:29:36 AM

Dear all,

Therein lies the rub.

Respect, you actually seem to have read one of my early posts. While it was true at the beginning that I only spend some time I now use most of my weekend. If you read my posts you will notice that it wouldn’t be possible to write most of them on a mobile device or in a short period of time.

Btw I find bold letters in red colour quite offensive, but thanks anyway for proofing that bashing newbies seems to be a reliable merit source.

SHIVOM  ──  The Future is your Genome! Own it.
Join our Token Campaign!  ──  https://shivom.io/
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 09:24:14 AM
Merited by TMAN (5), TheQuin (1)

Dear all,

Therein lies the rub.

Respect, you actually seem to have read one of my early posts. While it was true at the beginning that I only spend some time I now use most of my weekend. If you read my posts you will notice that it wouldn’t be possible to write most of them on a mobile device or in a short period of time.

Btw I find bold letters in red colour quite offensive, but thanks anyway for proofing that bashing newbies seems to be a reliable merit source.

Rumor has it that the larger the red bold, the more merits one earns. Just watch and see if you don't believe me.
ACVinegar

Activity: 196
Merit: 20

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 02:36:38 PM

Dear all,

Actually you are a good poser's, so don't rush yourself earning merits. Because gaining merit is a big challenges to all of us, like you I was dreaming to earn a lot of merits but on the other side of my mind I always asking myself. Do I deserve to earn merits even though I have small contribution of ideas to the benefits of the others? All I advise to you is to be patience, be more creative in terms of posting, make sure that your posts are understandable and lastly make sure that your topics to open are interesting.

More participants are giving merits the OP if the topic they're open is interesting, informative and giving them some knowledge regarding with the other matter in bitcointalk.
Huan00087

Activity: 238

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 02:48:26 PM

"You get merit points when someone sends you some for one of your posts. Additionally, when someone sends you merit points, half of those points can be sent by you to other people.
Certain users are designated as "merit sources". They can create new merit out of nothing, up to a limited number per month (which differs per source). I will not be posting a definitive list of merit sources (so that people don't bug them too much), though you'll soon figure out who they are if you pay attention.
There is currently no such thing as a "demerit". I'm hoping that the positive merits alone will be fine. I could add demerits pretty easily later on if necessary, though.
I'm hoping that this system will increase post quality by:
 - Forcing people to post high-quality stuff in order to rank up. If you just post garbage, you will never get even 1 merit point, and you will therefore never be able to put links in your signature, etc.
 - Highlighting good posts with the "Merited by" line.
While we will not be directly moderating this, I encourage people to give merit to posts that are objectively high-quality, not just posts that you agree with.
Do not beg for merit excessively."
You can view details by link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2818350.msg28856522#msg28856522
nydiacaskey01
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 02:58:30 PM

If you post because you want to earn merits then your mind set is wrong. What will happen is your post will be long and beats around the bush instead of going straight to the point. If you post, ask your self, why do you need to post? Because of merits? Or because you feel your post will add something to the topic of discussion. If your answer is the later, then you are in the right track.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: