Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:47:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Netbook vs Trezor?  (Read 3080 times)
fireduck (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 10:31:42 PM

Supposing I have enough bitcoin to justify either expense in the name of security, which would be better:

A) A netbook running linux (probably debian) and electrum.  I would use it for nothing else and would use disk encryption.

B) My existing moderately secure computers running electrum and using Trezor devices for high value wallets?
(bitcointrezor.com)

Anyone have any arguments for either?  I am somewhat inclined towards netbook but that is mostly because I can get my hands on one now.

Bitrated user: fireduck.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 10:50:09 PM

I personally vote for Trezor, I want one and looking in getting it in the future. I want to know the feedback from other users first.

Netbook is good if that is what you can afford now. I am using my laptop with Bitcoin-qt also Truecrypt encryption. I also have back up of different wallets (Other alt-coins) in 2 USB flash memory.

But I think Netbook isn't a bad idea. If you already have a computer. Then why don't you use the netbook with armory for offline wallet?
fireduck (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 11:19:36 PM

I personally vote for Trezor, I want one and looking in getting it in the future. I want to know the feedback from other users first.

Netbook is good if that is what you can afford now. I am using my laptop with Bitcoin-qt also Truecrypt encryption. I also have back up of different wallets (Other alt-coins) in 2 USB flash memory.

But I think Netbook isn't a bad idea. If you already have a computer. Then why don't you use the netbook with armory for offline wallet?

Yeah.  I am not sure about the Trezor.  Can you load a seed onto it or is having it generate a new seed the only option?  Also, I have a bunch of wallets and wouldn't want to have to buy a trezor for each.

Bitrated user: fireduck.
Kenshin

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 11:26:12 PM

I have no idea, that is why we should wait for feedback from other members who got the Trezor.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2013, 05:39:28 PM

Yeah.  I am not sure about the Trezor.  Can you load a seed onto it or is having it generate a new seed the only option?  Also, I have a bunch of wallets and wouldn't want to have to buy a trezor for each.

You can do both. You can tell it to create a new seed or load a seed you already have via the mnemonic phrase.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Kenshin

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 11:50:34 PM

You can do both. You can tell it to create a new seed or load a seed you already have via the mnemonic phrase.

Have you got one?
jackbox
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 06:04:25 AM

If the Trezor is new or has been wiped there is an option to restore from seed instead of generating a new one. It has you enter the words in a random order as to not compromise the seed.

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
If I was helpful please buy me a burger DGB: DLASV6CUQpGtGSyaVz5FYuu5YxZ17MoGQz
Zawamiya

Activity: 526
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 07:15:44 AM

another option is ledgerwallet
ledgerwallet ia also a good hardware wallet and cheap in price compared to trezor
bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 10:25:31 AM

A new Multi-coin version of Electrum is currently under developement at github.com/mazaclub/encompass.  Encompass is based on the latest version of Electrum 2.0.  It works well, but the Trezor support has been disabled until the devs do more tests.  Encompass supports the major coins that have Electrum servers operational - Litecoin, Bitcoin, Viacoin, Mazacoin, and soon Darkcoin. One seed (and therefore one wallet) for ALL your coins - very convenient - you can switch from one coin to the other in a unique pull down menu, without stopping the client.
  I'm missing Dogecoin!

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
tema

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 04:01:25 PM

""I'm missing Dogecoin!""

Already there my friend! http://www.dailydoge.org/2014/04/23/electrum-for-dogecoin/
https://github.com/paybee/electrum-doge
Coming soon...

✔ Freedom ✔ Reliability ✔ Global accessibility BITCOIN ✔ Trust and Integrity ✔ Independence
0mniscient

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 01:28:17 AM

I'm gonna have to vote for Trezor, definitively proved its worth to me.  Before I bought a Trezor I was using a raspberry pi cold storage.  Trezor works so much better than using a computer/notebook dedicated to acting as a wallet.  I don't lose any sleep over using a Trezor because my seeds is written down safely and nothing can happen to it, I could burn and smash my trezor and still be able to recover my funds.  The form factor is great to, with a netbook I doubt you want to carry that to a shop, and once more wallets support trezor on mobile systems it will be perfect solution.       
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: