Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:34:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you mean by HODL?  (Read 1060 times)
gemajai (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 3

First Decentralize Mobile Service Telecom Company

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 01:30:40 PM

Can anyone clarify what this term means? I was wondering if it should really be spelt as "HOLD" or the meaning of "HODL" is really crypto-related. I already tried searching threads that explain this but was unsuccessful. I was very curious since I began reading discussions in bitcointalk and I usually see this term but I just understand it to mean 'hold' which means don't sell yet your coins. Please correct my misunderstanding if any. Thanks for your time.

█████ █████  ██ MOBILINK-COIN ██  █████ █████
▬ FIRST DECENTRALIZED MOBILE SERVICE TELECOM COMPANY ▬ (https://mobilink.io/)
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
slackcryptoz

Activity: 456
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 01:34:51 PM

HODL is same as holding, for some technical purpose its been used within the forum in such a manner. Most of the users have such a confusion in this regard. In my belief it is not selling, it is all about holding for long term or short term expecting an added profit with reference to the growth.
withche.07

Activity: 549
Merit: 259

Blockchain with solar energy

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 01:41:28 PM

Hodl is basically holding with "love". It is getting used for "this coin will raise so much and its early" or "this coin will recover after dump" situations. I personally love HODL ing people as holding is healthy for markets even if some people jokes them as "bag holders".

[]
▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
▄███████▀               █████▄
▄██████▀       ▀███████   █████▄
▄█████▀  ▄    █▄   ▀██▀  ▄  █████▄
████▀  ▄██  █  ███▄    ▄███  █████
▄███  ▄████ ███  ██▀     ▀███  ████▄
███         ▀███    ▄███▄   ▀█  ████
███  ████▄            ▀▀▀██▄     ███
████  ████ ████▀    █▄▄▄         ███
▀████  ██  ██▀  ▄██  ███▀▀      ███▀
█████  █  ▀  ▄████▀    ▄██▀  ▄████
▀█████     ▄█▀▀    ▄  ██▀  ▄█████▀
▀█████       ▄▄█████    ▄██████▀
▀█████               ▄███████▀
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
▄███████▀               █████▄
▄██████▀       ▀███████   █████▄
▄█████▀  ▄    █▄   ▀██▀  ▄  █████▄
████▀  ▄██  █  ███▄    ▄███  █████
▄███  ▄████ ███  ██▀     ▀███  ████▄
███         ▀███    ▄███▄   ▀█  ████
███  ████▄            ▀▀▀██▄     ███
████  ████ ████▀    █▄▄▄         ███
▀████  ██  ██▀  ▄██  ███▀▀      ███▀
█████  █  ▀  ▄████▀    ▄██▀  ▄████
▀█████     ▄█▀▀    ▄  ██▀  ▄█████▀
▀█████       ▄▄█████    ▄██████▀
▀█████               ▄███████▀
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
[|]
BUSTEDCLUB

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 01:43:14 PM

That word came from over hype guy at this forum i guess. And everyone else start using that word to replace HOLD. kinda funny though.
Sky_Queen

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 02:29:34 PM

It came from this post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=375643.0

I think it means "Hold On for Dear Life".. and I like to say that "you will never HODL alone" Smiley
it's a typo from a drunk man though, hahaa thanks for the link
ajqjjj

Activity: 1498
Merit: 507

Not your Keys, not your Bitcoin

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 02:32:23 PM

Thanks for your inputs. There are really creative ones.  Cheesy At least I have confirmed that my understanding was not really far from what it means.
I think know you should understand the meaning of HOLD and HODL. If you understand the meaning of HOLD you must lock this thread because many spam conversations are continuously runs in the market. So we must avoid the spam users in crypto market

-support Bitcoin Community Bitcointalk.org-
Always verify wallet to store your Bitcoin
Donations are open, send PM
klebsiella

Activity: 392
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 03:25:01 PM

HODL is a typo, misspelling HOLD. When one of the members here in bitcointalk who said he is going to hold on to bitcoin even if the price fell. Since then it has been popular in bitcoin and cryptocurrency world. With the rise of cryptos, a new breed of lingo has also developed.

CORNUCOPIA    || Gain Access to Amazing IPOs || [ Pre-Ico 2018 ]

Whitepaper    Facebook TwitterTelegram
V-t.Ester

Activity: 532
Merit: 25

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 09:18:53 AM

Can anyone clarify what this term means? I was wondering if it should really be spelt as "HOLD" or the meaning of "HODL" is really crypto-related. I already tried searching threads that explain this but was unsuccessful. I was very curious since I began reading discussions in bitcointalk and I usually see this term but I just understand it to mean 'hold' which means don't sell yet your coins. Please correct my misunderstanding if any. Thanks for your time.

Look, for example, someone have bought a coin but it's price suddenly felt down very much, therefore he does't want to sell this coin and decides to keep it in his wallet with a hope that once coin will again rise in price. That means to hodl a coin.
Kunlejoe0

Activity: 518
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 09:22:17 AM

Hodl is more attractive and interesting compare to Hold! Making words that make people to be excited and the same time create or send a powerful message across is considered to be creative and effective.
Osiris0

Activity: 266
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 09:28:57 AM

This is the best strategy ever - if you know you right - stay on yours. If you are sure that crypto will change the world and will increase in price dramatically - hold it and do not let anyone make you sell.  Shocked
rosebit

Activity: 266
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 09:38:05 AM

HODL in crypto simply means holding the coin for sometime before you sell.
97percent

Activity: 392

☀️ Iskra Coin ☀️

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 09:41:27 AM

HODL mean HOLD and it is a common word that used for a long time in crypto. And we are all hodling at the moment.

☀️☀️☀️☀️  ISKRA (CCOH)- Crypto coin of hope | An innovative method for supporting children around the world  ☀️☀️☀️☀️
https://iskra-coin.io
Phily40

Activity: 143
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 05:48:33 PM

HODL is also known as holding, it's just a term (form of register on the bitcointalk forum) mostly used on the forum.
Holding basically means keeping your coins for future, not to dump!  to sell at a good price.
Milenyto

Activity: 120

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 05:55:31 PM

It seems to me that someone said this as a joke and many people liked it. I see that many people use this word. Previously it seemed to me that this was just a mistake.
Viecoin

Activity: 852
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 05:58:51 PM

A short term hold can never be a hodl. A true hodl is derived out of belief in a particular crypto with a dash of sentiment. A hodl can however be forced ie: Bag holders, as you can still dump at a loss.
Lampaster

Activity: 406
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 05:58:55 PM

Perhaps this is a typo or an attempt to create a novelty in the jargon of users of cryptocurrencies. I have no doubt in my mind. This is a strategy of holding coins for a long period in order to profit from price increases. This is a favorite strategy of the majority. Therefore, speculators are constantly hunting for these coins.
cryptocrocs

Activity: 182

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 06:02:20 PM

It came from this post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=375643.0

I think it means "Hold On for Dear Life".. and I like to say that "you will never HODL alone" Smiley
Exactly it is,HODLING will be more effective when you are holding the right coins ,especially those coins that are best in long term investments.If you are holding shitcoins,regardless of years of holding it wont make any difference so HOLD those coins which are good in long term hold! short term coins doesnt shouldnt be hold for long term.

▬▬[  ENKIDU  ]▬▬[ NEXT GENERATION TEAMS AND PAYMENT SPLITTING ]▬   
▌  THE WORLD'S FIRST DECENTRALIZED GLOBAL COLLABORATION PLATFORM ▐
▬▬  POSSIBLE ONLY ON THE BLOCKCHAIN | Twitter  | Telegram  | Reddit  | Medium  | ANN Thread  | Facebook ▬▬
xpazer

Activity: 136

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 06:07:52 PM

At my mean it will not "hold to die", i hold for my life, i will be sell at price i plan to sell before. You need to sure plan and will be do when it hit the target. Because the cupid will kill you
cryptocue

Activity: 252
Merit: 13

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 06:11:53 PM

Hold on dea life which means literally HOLDING your coins if you are trapped into some coin whenever the market has gone into bloodbath,holding your coisn will be much effective if you are holding only those solid coins that is why we are holding those coins which arent going to crash very hard with these bloodbaths,because surely these coins will recover faster than any shitcoin out there.

hdclover

Activity: 1106
Merit: 501

www.bitcoin.org

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 06:17:16 PM

HODL is different for different people.
For me it is HODL + TP. That is HODL and take profit regularly. Only hodling won't make you rich nor it is a good strategy for profit making. Think honestly, without taking profit at regular intervals what is the real use of HODL? You are only rich virtually not in the real life until you book profits.

Blah blah
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: