Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 03:59:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you mean by HODL?  (Read 1061 times)
Fretcy

Activity: 395
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 06:18:39 PM

HODL is the technical term used in crypto world, which generally means holding the coins, due to high demand for the crypto coins there are more chances for the prices to increase which if you hold them for longer time, it will help the crypto holder to gain huge profits from their holdings. As every year the price of all the cryptos keeps on increasing and every day new users are entering the crypto world which makes the cryptos more demanding causing the cryptos prices to  shoot up.

K O N I O S        |│        The World's Most Secure Cash & Crypto Platform
[   PRE-ICO  |  LIVE   ]      [ AIRDROP | LIVE ]      [    ICO  |  July 1st    ]
WHITEPAPER                       TWITTER                       TELEGRAM                       ANN THREAD
Borisov

Activity: 336
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 06:23:03 PM

Yes, it's probably just a typo, man imell mean hold, ie not to sell less to be patient and wait for better times.
Bttzed03
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1149

https://bitcoincleanup.com/

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 06:23:55 PM

Can anyone clarify what this term means? I was wondering if it should really be spelt as "HOLD" or the meaning of "HODL" is really crypto-related. I already tried searching threads that explain this but was unsuccessful. I was very curious since I began reading discussions in bitcointalk and I usually see this term but I just understand it to mean 'hold' which means don't sell yet your coins. Please correct my misunderstanding if any. Thanks for your time.

I had the same thought when I was still new to the world of crypto with all these terms such as HODL Until I read a thread explaining how the HODL cam about.  
Benarand

Activity: 773

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 06:31:52 PM

In chat rooms, on forums, on Twitter, groups of Telegrams and other channels people write with an error: instead of "HOLD" they write "HODL". This error has become very popular in the world of bitcoins and cryptocurrency. Whenever a person says that he "hodling", it means that he thinks the coin will be profitable later, if not today. 
So, "HODL" was originally a typo.
supermine

Activity: 826
Merit: 518

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 06:36:35 PM

Can anyone clarify what this term means? I was wondering if it should really be spelt as "HOLD" or the meaning of "HODL" is really crypto-related. I already tried searching threads that explain this but was unsuccessful. I was very curious since I began reading discussions in bitcointalk and I usually see this term but I just understand it to mean 'hold' which means don't sell yet your coins. Please correct my misunderstanding if any. Thanks for your time.

HOLD and HODL are referring the same term holding which means holding the crypto until selling it,But whenever there is a price fall in the crypto currency prices you can see the word HODL more because which is term that means you need to hold with love and trust.So from this you need to remember the word hodl while the prices are falling.
dewi91

Activity: 490

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 06:57:45 PM

hold and hodl are the same, for me hold is the way to avoid losing my money especially when the market continue to down. to hold coin is not simple because I should to control my self and keep optimistic that  my coin will increase again and someday I will sell in the highest price.
bangkecol

Activity: 784
Merit: 314

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 07:00:38 PM

while between this between HODL and HOLD actually have the same meaning, where HODL defines as an investor who has some funds or investment in crypctocurrency by keeping or investing their funds with a certain period according to the target they specify.

Now for example you have an ETH ballance in your wallet, then in a certain period it turns out that eth is decreasing and you judge it to be better retained first, well that means you HODL in ETH.
RoftheN

Activity: 546

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 07:03:56 PM

HODL basically means Holding cryptocurrency. HODL was a typo by a bitcoin member. He meant HOLD but typed wrong. But somehow, it became famous.

So basically, “HODL” was originally a typo which has now popularly earned the status of a humorous backronym:

“HODL” – “Hold on for dear life”

Internet is strange but cool.
victory.lil

Activity: 490

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 07:08:12 PM

HODL means not selling your savings until the price of the token or coin is really attractive, why people sell their savings as cheaply as today, I just do not understand. I will sell my money only when I really need to buy something
AteenaD

Activity: 208
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 07:50:27 PM

I totally can relate to you OP. The very first time i encountered this term, i paused and told myself, there is no such term. Is it a legit cryptocurrency term? "Hold on for/to dear life". was the meaning i've gotten in my research. A typo error that had been incorporated here ever since it came out.
sorehammer

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 07:58:47 PM

Hod or Holding both have same meaning.It can be interpreted in different conditions.In crypto we use to show.

1.When market is undergoing dip period dont sell your investment hold it until market recovers and you get return more than your expectations.
2.When you have invested in such a coin which is currently traded at low price and you know that in upcoming years it will increase massively in price you just hold it for that good period.

PLAY
               ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄▄▄
          ▄▄███████████    █████▄
      ▄▄███████    ████▄▄▄▄███████
  ▄▄███    ████▄▄▄▄███████████████▌
▄██████▄▄▄▄███████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████▌
▐████████████████████▀█  ███████████
 ▐█████████████████▄  ▀     ▀██████▌
  ████████████████▀    ▄▄▄   ███████
  ▐███████████████▄ ▄  ▐███   ▀██████▌
   ▐████████████████   ▀▀      ██████
    ███  ▀███████████▌   ▄▄██   ▐█████▌
    ▐██▄  ███████████   ▐███   ███████
     ████████████████▌   ▀   ▄███████
     ▐██████████████▀    ▄ ▀██████▀
      ▀███████████████  ▄ ▀█▄████▀
        ▀████████████████▄███▀▀
          ▀███████████████▀▀
            ▀██████████▀▀
              ▀████▀▀
ITCOIN
G   A   M   E   S
       ▄██▄
      ▐████▄▄▄██
  ▄   █████████▀
   ▀▄ ▀█████▀▀
  ▄▄▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
 ▀ ▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄███▄
 ▄███████  ██████▄
▄█████▀      ▀█████
██████  ▀  █▄▄██████
███████▄▄    ▀██████
 █████  ▀  ▀  █████▀
  ▀████▄▄  ▄▄█████▀
    ▀▀███▄▄█████▀
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▄█ ▄▀▄           █
▄▄▄▀▀▀  █ █▀█           █
█  ▄▄    █      ▄█▄      █
▀▄ █▄▀▄  █    ▄█████▄    █
█ ▀     █  ▄█████████▄  █
█      █  ███████████  █
▀▄     █   ▀▀▀ █ ▀▀▀   █
█     █      ▀▀▀      █
█    █               █
▀▄   ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
█       ▄▄▄▀▀       
▀▄▄▄▀▀▀             
           ▄▄▄   
          █   ▀▀▀▄▄▄
         █  ▄▄▄     ▀▀▀▄▄▄
        █   ███    ▄▄▄   ▐▌
 ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███   █
█               █       █
█          ███  █ ▄    █
█          ▀▀▀  █ ██  █
█      ███      █ ▀  █
█      ▀▀▀      █   █
█  ███          █ ▀▀
█  ▀▀▀          █
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
Jordanuttos

Activity: 518
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 09:12:31 AM

In my understanding hold is 6 months or more. Many people do not understand this, buy coins and constantly complain that the price falls... On hold you work for the prospect.

Never give up
wanderloy

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

PRESALE BEGINS UP TO 45% DISCOUNT

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 06:45:55 PM

HODL is the new term for crypto enthusiasts as HOLD and Hodlers are actually holders.
HODL is the newest trend especially this first quarter that crypto market is crashing and dropping so everyone will be encouraged to Hold or HODL their Crypto Assets in order to save it from losing.

Granxis

Activity: 1400
Merit: 536

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 09:14:52 PM

In summary, a trader opens a title in 2013 December. He's mistakenly wrote a letter under the influence of alcohol. Of course, it was quite profitable, in 2013 the Bitcoin price was 500 dollars.

you can look at the details here.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=375643.0

.Duelbits.
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
TRY OUR
  NEW  UNIQUE
GAMES!
..DICE...
███████████████████████████████
███▀▀                     ▀▀███
███    ▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄    ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███   ▀████▀       ▀████▀   ███
███                         ███
███   ▄████▄       ▄████▄   ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███    ▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀    ███
███▄▄                     ▄▄███
.MINES.
████████████████████████▄▀▄████
██████████████▀▄▄▄▀█████▄▀▄████
████████████▀ █████▄▀████ █████
██████████      █████▄▀▀▄██████
███████▀          ▀████████████
█████▀              ▀██████████
█████                ██████████
████▌                ▐█████████
█████                ██████████
██████▄            ▄███████████
████████▄▄      ▄▄█████████████
.PLINKO.
█████████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀█████████
██████▀  ▄▄███ ███      ▀██████
█████  ▄▀▀                █████
████  ▀                    ████
████                       ████
█████                     █████
██████▄                 ▄██████
█████████▄▄▄       ▄▄▄█████████
10,000x
MULTIPLIER
NEARLY UP TO
.50%. REWARDS
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
SiDtHeBeSt

Activity: 420
Merit: 106

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 09:24:12 PM

Well HODLING is pronounced sams as holding as far as I know and it has the same meaning as well. This term is mostly used in crypto related investments, I think. It means long term investment and keeping on holding your money rather than panic selling.
I don't think it has any other specific meaning afaik, even I was confused by it in the beggining.
onyebuchi81

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 09:35:51 PM

It's a cryptocurrency term used to describe long term investors it's full meaning is 'hold on for your dear life'
lifesgood10

Activity: 378
Merit: 13

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 10:01:30 PM

I think Hodl is when you keep your altcoins and tokens in your wallet during the dip perserving the poor market for the short time, to later sell at high profit
coinholic

Activity: 518
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2018, 10:28:00 PM

You are correct, it literally does mean to hold. A forum member misspelled hold to hodl while drinking whiskey. And so the term HODL was coined since then. But then, it was given another meaning, HOLD ON TO/FOR DEAR LIFE. This is more intense in my opinion since this would refer to a trader who is holding on to a coin that is going through a drastic or continuous crash. Also meaning, this term does not apply to traders who are holding coins which are gaining market value.

Simply put,
HOLD (Hold on for Long Duration / Distance / Days - haha! Just made this up!) - keep coins or don’t sell yet while price is increasing to gain more profit. Quite greedy in a way.

HODL (Hold on for Dear Life) - during a crash: keep coins or don’t sell yet while price is low so not to incur any loss. Wait for recovery.

rollingstorm45

Activity: 448
Merit: 17

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 10:31:28 PM

Hold On for Dear Life
You have to be patient and do not be easy to make decisions when the heart is filled with emotion
Patience is the key to all the moments that exist in cryptocurrency
a pair of strong hands is the main weapon of the trader

jikurpa

Activity: 665
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 10:41:07 PM

resistant to the highest price and profitable it for the term investment with cryptocurrency if your purchase price is higher than the selling price it will survive to hold it until the selling price is higher than the purchase price
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: