Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 11:29:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can regular people mine anymore  (Read 1186 times)
platzdubble

Activity: 124
Merit: 1

you said what now?

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2018, 02:16:32 PM

Regular people are still mining - they're just mining Monero, Masari, Nerva, or Dero

xmranon on twitter/reddit.
Philopolymath

Activity: 558
Merit: 295

Walter Russell's Cosmogony is RIGHT!

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 02:23:17 PM

NO !
Mining is strictly for fools suckers and idiot pipe dreamers

Support Alien Beer Circle research...www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRXDk2RMQ4A
TheronB

Activity: 64
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 02:31:23 PM

A simple gaming PC with one or two GPUs can still easily pay for itself in under two years, which is a nice upgrade cycle for a gamer, so I think mining is still worthwhile for the average gamer.  Just mining on Nicehash and getting a few dollars of BTC a day could be a decent payoff if/when BTC explodes again.  I'm not sure about CPU only mining with a simple office WP-centric PC would pan out, but someone here can probably chime in.
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 04:58:30 PM

If you can identify coins that have not yet launched you might be able to start mining them before too many people start.  It's situational but you might be able to earn some money if you research and stay ahead of the curve.
Intutan

Activity: 20

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 02:55:54 PM

Regular people are still mining - they're just mining Monero, Masari, Nerva, or Dero

I think the Monero is less profitable to mine than the ETH at present.
jerrimu

Activity: 105
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2018, 06:12:03 PM

Dero Hash Rate: 720.40 MH/sec
jerrimu

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2018, 06:12:53 PM

lol I am normal and hobby mine with 16 gpu just add with the profits as you go. but then i have no electric cost living in a windy island has some upsides Smiley

16!? Why not asic at that price?
hrdrok

Activity: 3

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 07:38:58 PM

Did a blog post about it. Some napkin math in there as well.
https://bitorok.com/2018/05/21/interested-is-getting-into-crypto-mining-prices-and-stock-are-getting-better/

It's just my opinion though.
Etherion

Activity: 512
Merit: 260

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 08:24:23 PM

no. as CPU/GPU are screwed. Soon it will not matter if coins fork away from Asic as we will have reprogrammable miners from Bitmain that can mine any coin.
jerrimu

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2018, 08:28:06 PM

no. as CPU/GPU are screwed. Soon it will not matter if coins fork away from Asic as we will have reprogrammable miners from Bitmain that can mine any coin.

Another way to look at it is that baikal n is only $450 now.
meusyou

Activity: 108
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2018, 12:51:48 AM

I only mine those coins with Mining App. One of such presently is electroneum, I mine with my phone though.

IOVO | INTERNET OF VALUE OMNILEDGER
# THE FIRST DECENTRALIZED HUMAN VALUE BLOCKCHAIN NETWORK
BTC22

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 01:28:11 AM

I dont get why I see these threads over and over. Im pulling almost $30 a day ETH or 600 + RVN coins. 12 cards. 5 RX 580 Saphire Nitro + Special Edition, 5 EVAG 1080's, 1 EVAG 1080 ti FTW3 and one MSI 1070ti
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2018, 02:34:23 AM

I dont get why I see these threads over and over. Im pulling almost $30 a day ETH or 600 + RVN coins. 12 cards. 5 RX 580 Saphire Nitro + Special Edition, 5 EVAG 1080's, 1 EVAG 1080 ti FTW3 and one MSI 1070ti

$30 a day with ETH those 12 GPUs? Sure you are.. I highly doubt it.

Anyway what you need to consider is not TODAY but the NEXT MONTH (June) because that is when the first batch of Z9 ASICs arrive and that is probably also when NVIDIA may announce the new series of 1100 GPUs. Z9 ASICs will reduce profitability and new GPUs will surely reduce the value of your old GPUs.

Add to that the threat of Ethereum switching from POW to POS, then you have a massive shit storm coming to miners. Probably not a good idea to start mining right now.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
Suslived

Activity: 252
Merit: 13

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 02:36:48 AM

But are they really mining those? Did some calculations on the profitability of these coins, they still seem to be shit though. I'd rather mine Monero and not risk the coin's value going to shit like these little unknown coins you mentioned. Or am i missing something?

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
blackenedvoodoo

Activity: 47

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 03:12:07 AM

$30 a day with ETH those 12 GPUs? Sure you are.. I highly doubt it.

Anyway what you need to consider is not TODAY but the NEXT MONTH (June) because that is when the first batch of Z9 ASICs arrive and that is probably also when NVIDIA may announce the new series of 1100 GPUs. Z9 ASICs will reduce profitability and new GPUs will surely reduce the value of your old GPUs.

Add to that the threat of Ethereum switching from POW to POS, then you have a massive shit storm coming to miners. Probably not a good idea to start mining right now.
I have 6 RX 480 and 6 1070 and I make $20 a day before electricity costs with is about 1.50 per rig ($3 total).  I started mining Jan 22 and my break even date is July 22.  You can believe what you want but the math (and the coin in my wallet) says otherwise.  You just have to do your homework.  Build as cheap as you can, and hope everything goes as planned.  1100 GPU wont be out till Q4 of this year if that and I wouldnt worry about ASCI.  There will always be coins to be mined and if CN is any example to you what happens when ASCi threatens... you just change the ALGO and ASCI goes away.  BTW If you dont think those ASCI are on line already you are fooling yourself.  Bitmain is the biggest ripoff in Crypto and fools keep throwing money at them.
EthanB

Activity: 462
Merit: 336

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 03:20:50 AM

LOL at all these guys with 4+ GPUs saying they're normal.

Roll Eyes

I don't understand what your point is. You're making it sound like having a couple of hundred bucks makes you beyond the capability of a normal person. 4+ GPU is not unattainable to a normal person, especially if it is something you save up for or put a little time into. I have 4+ 1080TI and I'm a normal person, definitely a computer enthusiast though, don't know if that disqualifies me.
blackenedvoodoo

Activity: 47

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 03:27:28 AM

Roll Eyes

I don't understand what your point is. You're making it sound like having a couple of hundred bucks makes you beyond the capability of a normal person. 4+ GPU is not unattainable to a normal person, especially if it is something you save up for or put a little time into. I have 4+ 1080TI and I'm a normal person, definitely a computer enthusiast though, don't know if that disqualifies me.
It is the internet.  It takes all kinds.  I have 17 GPU and I can tell you I didnt pay full price for more than half of them and about 4 I got for free.  There are all kinds of ways if your resourceful.
jerrimu

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2018, 07:32:20 PM

Roll Eyes

This thread seemed to be comparing asic & GPU mining, and once you've spent enough for 4 or more GPU, you are as far into it as someone who bought an asic instead.   You either have a mining setup(many GPUs/ASIC) or you don't. Since most people don't have more than two(gaming) tops, I would say that you're a miner, not a regular person.  Nothing wrong with it, just saying that if you don't have some sort of a rig/asic, you can't expect to really make anything over change every few months.
kisk

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 10:07:38 PM

Regular person with 66 gpus here. Seriously what makes one a non-regular person? Whether you mine with 1 card of 1k cards its still profitable atm.
DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 02:01:57 AM

Regular person with 66 gpus here. Seriously what makes one a non-regular person? Whether you mine with 1 card of 1k cards its still profitable atm.

My opinion is that regular in this sense refers to gamers or casual enthusiasts who are mining with less than 13-GPUs in a single mobo at home. Anything below that and i believe they are mining inefficiently to the point that they will be the first ones to go when mining becomes unprofitable altogether.

GPU mining is now about maximizing your mining revenue while reducing your electrical costs. ASICs are great at this and unless devs do something to dennounce them, ASICs will take over the entire crypto-mining scene.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: