Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:32:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can regular people mine anymore  (Read 1186 times)
jerrimu

Activity: 105
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2018, 02:58:08 AM

. ASICs are great at this and unless devs do something to dennounce them, ASICs will take over the entire crypto-mining scene.

IDk if FPGAs are stoppable, asic resistance seems kinda pointless atm IMO
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aerth

Activity: 119

Aquachain

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2018, 04:42:53 AM

I heard regular people can't mine anymore... is it possibe to mine any significant amount of coins? What equiment does it take to get started?

I'm new to crypto, but mining seems to be way less risky than trading. But I'm no programmer... what do I need to do to get started?

check out aquachain, a new coin, you can mine to a pool with a laptop or better.

of course, machines with better CPU will get more coin than others. but if you have one or a few computers you can dedicate to mining 24/7 you can start by just trying to coordinate them all to mine to the same pool

as far as mining AQUA (process is similar for all coins):

step 1: download (or compile) the aquaminer and aquachain programs from https://github.com/aquanetwork/aquachain/releases

step 2: unzip, and, if you want, rename the executable to 'aquaminer' (or 'aquaminer.exe' on windows) and 'aquachain'

step 3: create an aquachain wallet with the 'aquachain.exe' command ('aquachain.exe account new' or inside the AQUA console: 'personal.newAccount()')

step 4: open a console window (windows 'cmd'). start the miner with chosen pool like so (make sure to change the address which is zeros here:

Code:
aquaminer.exe -r 1s -F http://pool.aquachain-foundation.org:8888/0x000000000000000000000000000000000000000/worker1

or

Code:
aquaminer.exe -r 1s -F http://aqua.signal2noi.se:19998/0x000000000000000000000000000000000000000/worker1

step 5: automate this by creating a shortcut or script to make it easy to launch your miners.

Output should look like this (i5 6600k skylake):

You can replace 'worker1' with any short string to keep track of particular workers. some ideas are the cpu or server type.

Its good to check the pool's 'miners' page and click your address to see each of your worker's stats, in case maintenance is required.

about aquachain: 1 coin reward per 4 minute block, with scheduled hard forks and eth compatible smart contracts. began march 3rd this year.

have fun and keep mining!

Aquachain - Programmable Money - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3138231 - https://aquacha.in
remauto1187ma

Activity: 234

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 05:54:36 AM

Im a regular guy and I have 28 GPUs strictly for mining.  Im in it for the $$$.  I play the coins and I mine for BTC earnings(not to be confused with mining BTC) when Im too tired to research what to mine any given day. Maybe ill get rich, maybe I wont but Its fun scaling up.  Building another mining rig this weekend.
DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 06:14:44 AM

Basic psychology can explain why people want mining to last, people want to be happy. They want to earn passively without much effort. It's a dream come true for some, even me.

However, a simple reality check of the current situation will show you that GPU mining won't last. You have been warned.
gnerro2

Activity: 294
Merit: 10

illustrator

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 10:04:02 AM

Basic psychology can explain why people want mining to last, people want to be happy. They want to earn passively without much effort. It's a dream come true for some, even me.

However, a simple reality check of the current situation will show you that GPU mining won't last. You have been warned.

mm.. what's the minimun investment to have a roi + a return of 10% about!? tnx.

#@@     #@@   /@@@@@@@   @@%       @@@         %@@@@@@@@           
            #@@     #@@   /@@*       @@%       @@@       *@@@     /@@*         
            #@@@@@@@@@@   /@@@@@@@   @@%       @@@       @@@       @@@         
            #@@     #@@   /@@*       @@%       @@@       #@@*      @@%         
            #@@     #@@   /@@&&&&&   @@@&&&&&  @@@&&&&&&  #@@@&#%@@@&
VZ Chains

Activity: 87
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2018, 10:27:50 AM

Which coin do you suggest to mine guys?
vlad230

Activity: 616
Merit: 279

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 10:30:38 AM

I heard regular people can't mine anymore... is it possibe to mine any significant amount of coins? What equiment does it take to get started?

I'm new to crypto, but mining seems to be way less risky than trading. But I'm no programmer... what do I need to do to get started?
I run a thread about CPU mining here: [CryptoNight] CPU mining guide & coins that will get you a return

I think the best option for you right now would be to start mining with your CPU and avoid making an investment in expensive GPUs.
treanski

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

ONe Social Network.

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 10:51:10 AM

since the cryptonight coins anti asic forking wave, mining is very very profitable again...you just need to do some research and find the pearls

vite
Legendary

Activity: 1018
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 10:58:10 AM

As a newbie member, i would recommend you to checkout minergate. The program is simple overall. Just sign up on the website and Install the program.
It will automatically mine the most profitable coin. You can mine for 1 day and get an estimation how much you can get in a week
Qutmin

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 01:24:28 PM

. ASICs are great at this and unless devs do something to dennounce them, ASICs will take over the entire crypto-mining scene.

Then we shall develop the FPGA resistant PoW.
jerrimu

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2018, 05:42:43 PM

Then we shall develop the FPGA resistant PoW.
[/quote]

As long as the equipment is as affordable as GPUs why?   If btc asics were 300-500 my fears and worries about them would vanish. Due to the big boy (monero) forking away, cryptonight asics are as affordable as GPUs.

I develop and I have NO mining equipment, I have a x230 thinkpad, anyone with 4 GPUs is just as far from me as the best asic.  It's just arbitrarily drawing a line in  the sand saying "people with X hash can't mine my coin".   IMO it's better to offer more value to people with lower hashes than outlaw people with higher hashes.

As long as asics are in the hands of end users, and not a monopoly like bitmain, they are a positive force, not a negative one.

People with insane mining rigs destroy the Satoshi vision of one CPU one vote, which in it's original form is STILL heavily slanted toward the wealthy.  Crypto has to be for everyone for it to be more than an investment.
2stout

Activity: 2352
Merit: 585

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 12:45:30 AM

Sure, just have to do due diligence, research, and be willing to take a few small calculated risks as the one trick pony days appear to now be somewhat distant.
remauto1187ma

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 02:07:38 AM

Looking at how much the price of BTC (and many others) dropped $600 today or so my guess is Mt. Gox Trustee sold off some more BTC.  And ive also been noticing a substantial increase in mining amount (daily) for me on equihash and DaggerHashimoto.  My guess there is alot of have abandoned ship on mining equihash because of the impending shipments of ASICs next month.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 02:11:59 AM

Looking at how much the price of BTC (and many others) dropped $600 today or so my guess is Mt. Gox Trustee sold off some more BTC.  And ive also been noticing a substantial increase in mining amount (daily) for me on equihash and DaggerHashimoto.  My guess there is alot of have abandoned ship on mining equihash because of the impending shipments of ASICs next month.

This is a common misconception. Mt God coins never hit an actual exchange.

There are billions of dollars in the OTC markets for BTC and that's where the coins are mainly sold.

They are sold privately and usually sent to an individual wallet and haven't moved since.

If the coins were sent to an exchange and sold off we would easily be able to trace which coins and which exchange.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
remauto1187ma

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 04:56:41 AM

This is a common misconception. Mt God coins never hit an actual exchange.

There are billions of dollars in the OTC markets for BTC and that's where the coins are mainly sold.

They are sold privately and usually sent to an individual wallet and haven't moved since.

If the coins were sent to an exchange and sold off we would easily be able to trace which coins and which exchange.

I cant dispute anything you said.  But I also didnt say anything about "where or to whom the trustee sold of to.  It is factual that if you look at both times (that are known) when the trustee sold off BTC, what did BTC value do?  It took a slight nose dive BOTH TIMES.  Yesterday sure looks like the 3rd time.
jerrimu

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2018, 06:16:36 AM

[quote ]

[/quote]

man public ledgers are crazy
sergey1301

Activity: 336
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 10:31:16 AM

I suggest you use Google. This question was asked more than once. There are guides and online manuals !!
ashaksagnis

Activity: 630
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2018, 12:06:10 PM

I started to learn some things about mining. It's true - now is a good time to mine Zcash?

beachbummer

Activity: 251
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 01:04:12 PM

I started to learn some things about mining. It's true - now is a good time to mine Zcash?

It's not a good time to mine ZEC as they have not confirmed if they will be forking to fight the Equihash ASICs. Seems like a lot of GPU miners have dumped them to provide support for other coins.
jerrimu

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2018, 03:17:22 PM

It's not a good time to mine ZEC as they have not confirmed if they will be forking to fight the Equihash ASICs. Seems like a lot of GPU miners have dumped them to provide support for other coins.

Judging from zookos tweets, they will not be
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: