Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:59:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Man buys $27 of bitcoin, forgets about them, finds they're now worth $886k"  (Read 2805 times)
vokain (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2013, 06:32:23 AM

Kristoffer Koch invested 150 kroner ($26.60) in 5,000 bitcoins in 2009, after discovering them during the course of writing a thesis on encryption. He promptly forgot about them until widespread media coverage of the anonymous, decentralised, peer-to-peer digital currency in April 2013 jogged his memory.

I know it was released earlier tonight, but this article should be one of the more bullish adoption catalysts as more press outlets pick up the story and everyday  Main St. investors become more incentivized to participate in the Bitcoin market. Things like this really resonate with the common man.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 08:52:52 AM

and its not like he was a true supporter.

It doesn't seem like he worked much, but he withdrew BTC5,000 from the market through good and bleak months, enabling a higher price, more interest, higher difficulty, more security, etc.

Now he is a true supporter given the fact that he sold only 20% after an unbelievable runup. Any man from the street would have sold all.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
wopwop

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 08:54:24 AM

and its not like he was a true supporter.

It doesn't seem like he worked much, but he withdrew BTC5,000 from the market through good and bleak months, enabling a higher price, more interest, higher difficulty, more security, etc.

Now he is a true supporter given the fact that he sold only 20% after an unbelievable runup. Any man from the street would have sold all.
What is a 'man on the street'?

You don't consider people who use computers commonly a 'man on the street'?

Weird guy
Hfleer

Activity: 448

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:44:57 PM

That's really nice.  Would love to spend $27 to get $886,000 sometime.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Hfleer

Activity: 448

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 04:23:46 PM

That's really nice.  Would love to spend $27 to get $886,000 sometime.

Buy some btc todsy. Might be worth it in s few years Grin

Of course we hope so.  Have been in Bitcoin for a while now.

▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
masyveonk

Activity: 346
Merit: 100

https://bmy.guide

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 05:57:22 PM

Im more surprised he still have the wallet after 3 years.

I reinstalling computers much sonner  Smiley

SheHadMANHands
Legendary

Activity: 1168
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 06:37:10 PM

I used to play a lot of poker.  Even semi-professionally for a while.  I'll never forget the "boom switch" that was flipped on when an "average Joe" named Chris Moneymaker won the World Series of Poker in 2003, for $2.5 million, on a $40 initial investment...

People eat that shit up.  Everyone wanted to get involved all of a sudden.

We could be priming for a huge bubble, which hopefully doesn't undermine Bitcoin's real value and innovation - not as a "get rich quick" scheme.  I suppose only time will tell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Series_of_Poker_Main_Event_champions (notice entrants after 2003)
Ivanhoe

Activity: 841

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 06:42:28 PM

Yup, people are gonna look at the charts and when they see the 2 year chart and that it survived 2 "bubbles" already. Well brace yourself then.
jesse11

Activity: 333

Ants Rock

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 06:49:22 PM

Koch cashed in a fifth of his earnings to buy a three-bedroom apartment in Oslo.  Grin
http://now.msn.com/kristoffer-koch-norwegian-man-buys-apartment-with-bitcoin-profit

Mining with: BE's,BE Cubes, K16's, AntMiners U1's and AntMiners S1's
Koekiemonster

Activity: 321

Bitbuy.nl!

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 06:59:20 PM

I used to play a lot of poker.  Even semi-professionally for a while.  I'll never forget the "boom switch" that was flipped on when an "average Joe" named Chris Moneymaker won the World Series of Poker in 2003, for $2.5 million, on a $40 initial investment...

We could be priming for a huge bubble, which hopefully doesn't undermine Bitcoin's real value and innovation - not as a "get rich quick" scheme.  I suppose only time will tell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Series_of_Poker_Main_Event_champions (notice entrants after 2003)

The difference is with poker people thought they might be able to do the same, but with the Bitcoin situation people will often think: "It's gone up so much, it can't possibly go up any further." This is a key difference so I don't think this will have much effect at all.

https://www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
Bitcointalk topic over Bitbuy!
SheHadMANHands
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 07:04:08 PM

We could be priming for a huge bubble, which hopefully doesn't undermine Bitcoin's real value and innovation - not as a "get rich quick" scheme.  I suppose only time will tell.

The difference is with poker people thought they might be able to do the same, but with the Bitcoin situation people will often think: "It's gone up so much, it can't possibly go up any further." This is a key difference so I don't think this will have much effect at all.

The point is it took that to grab people's attention, and get them interested.  This story would have been different right after the April crash, but climbing all the way back in 6 months makes it clear that we may be very, very far from the top.  I'm talking over a similar span of years...  <-- I have to mention this because people on Speculation seemed to have difficulty imagining a time period beyond 2 weeks from any particular date.  Smiley
nthoangga

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

PLAYGAME.com

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 07:18:30 PM

House in Norway is that cheap? Only $180k for 3-bedroom apt?

──────⟩   PLAYGAME   ⟨──────
WhitepaperPowering real economy in the gaming worldOnepager
Telegram ENG / IND GroupChannel ⟩──● MediumTwitterYouTube
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 08:51:51 PM

Highly doubt it, just like claim someone bought one lottery ticket and won millions, but there is one problem: He did not pay tax  Cheesy

600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 09:48:32 PM

i find your reasoning convincing. this will get a lot of people curious. more stories like this will pop up, the media will love it. much faster than the bitcoin protocol will be used mainstream, bitcoin as a speculative asset will hit the streets and become popular. that´s how new people get involved. love it or hate it, it is this crazyness about bitcoin gaining such incredible value in less than 5 years that will cause a boom, not its technological elegance. people may think that it can´t rise at the same rate, but even a slower rate would still dwarf what they get from classical investments in less than 5 years.
Rockefoten

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 10:12:48 PM

House in Norway is that cheap? Only $180k for 3-bedroom apt?

It's in one of the cheaper areas of Oslo (Tøyen), despite all the articles claiming it is in a wealthy area (it is not).
My guess would be that the aparatment cost him between $400-500k - so the rest would come from the bank.
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2013, 10:18:50 PM

I posted this in the main Economics forum the day before yesterday, but it went completely unnoticed. Here is a repost:

http://www.news.com.au/money/money-matters/norwegian-student-kristoffer-koch-buys-27-in-bitcoin-in-2009-now-he-owns-an-apartment/story-e6frfmd9-1226748159679

Reprint from the Norwegian source:

http://www.nrk.no/okonomi/kjopte-bolig-for-internettpenger-1.11314773

And and interesting and positive statement from Head of Taxation Department:

– Dette er en ny måte å tenke verdier på, sier skattedirektør Hans Christian Holte til NRK.

Dersom man tjener penger på investering i nettvaluta, skal man skatte 28 prosent av gevinsten, og omsetning av bitcoin skal man betale moms av, opplyser skattedirektøren.

– Hvilke utfordringer byr dette på?

– Dette er et ektefødt barn av en digital verden. Vi må ta våre lover og regler, og se hvordan disse skal anvendes på dette helt nye området, svarer skattedirektøren.

- This is a new way of thinking about values, says head of Tax Department Hans Christian Holte to  NRK.
Provided one earns money from investment in digital cirrencies, one has to pay 28% of the income in taxes, while circulation of bitcoins is subject to VAT taxation, informs Head of the department.

- What kind of challenges does this induce?

- This is a legitimate child of the digital world. We must take our laws and rules and see how they can be applied to this completely new area, is the response of the Head of the Department.

PS.: Can confirm that Tøyen is one of the cheapest areas of Oslo, almost ghetto-like.

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 10:20:11 PM

i find your reasoning convincing. this will get a lot of people curious. more stories like this will pop up, the media will love it. much faster than the bitcoin protocol will be used mainstream, bitcoin as a speculative asset will hit the streets and become popular. that´s how new people get involved. love it or hate it, it is this crazyness about bitcoin gaining such incredible value in less than 5 years that will cause a boom, not its technological elegance. people may think that it can´t rise at the same rate, but even a slower rate would still dwarf what they get from classical investments in less than 5 years.

Except that poker is fun. Buying Bitcoin is some complicated and boring shit.

Moneymaker was just a small part. The World Poker Tour was on air at the time and that took off like wildfire, as did online poker rooms. It was  perfect storm for the competitive U.S. egos. I was in the middle of it - actually opened a poker room in CR, which I later sold.

I would not call this comparable to Bitcoin.

Bitcoin could become as popular as poker on day, but it will be a much slower grind.
SheHadMANHands
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 10:58:30 PM

We could be priming for a huge bubble, which hopefully doesn't undermine Bitcoin's real value and innovation - not as a "get rich quick" scheme.  I suppose only time will tell.

Moneymaker was just a small part. The World Poker Tour was on air at the time and that took off like wildfire, as did online poker rooms. It was  perfect storm for the competitive U.S. egos. I was in the middle of it - actually opened a poker room in CR, which I later sold.

Bitcoin could become as popular as poker on day, but it will be a much slower grind.

It's pretty common consensus that Chris Moneymaker's win was the catalyst.  WPT tour was very important as well, and, for many people, it's how they first heard of Moneymaker's win.
http://watch.betraisefoldmovie.com/ (watch Trailor)

The point was related to human psychology.  Not that it's exactly the same.  Obviously they're different.. 
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 11:02:08 PM

It's pretty common consensus that Chris Moneymaker's win was the catalyst.  WPT tour was very important as well, and, for many people, it's how they first heard of Moneymaker's win.
http://watch.betraisefoldmovie.com/?referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Well his last name was Hollywoodmoviesque for sure.

But I still don't think bitcoin is comparable to poker.  And, personally, I dont think we want it to be. If Bitcoin is just a place where people come to gamble and speculate it will never get to "the moon."

Bitcoin needs two major things to grow. Real innovation with bitcoin related business eco-system and asset investment.

Poker didn't need anything but a coin and a chair and some exposure.
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 11:04:26 PM

He surely is enjoying his profits at the moment.  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: