Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:13:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will exchanges have learnt anything from this bubble?  (Read 306 times)
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 02:44:55 PM

Looks like we're on our way to hell for now at least. There probably won't be a legit bull run for a decent length of time now. When the next one comes it will dwarf the one we've just witnessed just as 2013 was this time.

With this in mind do you reckon that exchanges will be ready for the next one or will there even more seizures, crapping out and closures to new users?

With the way crypto explodes and then dies I really don't see how any exchange can afford to train and employ enough people to be ready for something that may be months or years away. If volumes are pitiful then there aren't enough earnings to prepare and employ them in wait.

Bigger companies such as Circle are coming on board, but Circle themselves dropped BTC retail when interest died off.

So will they do it right or will we get more of the same?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wipro

Activity: 924
Merit: 512

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 03:18:17 PM

Looks like we're on our way to hell for now at least. There probably won't be a legit bull run for a decent length of time now. When the next one comes it will dwarf the one we've just witnessed just as 2013 was this time.

With this in mind do you reckon that exchanges will be ready for the next one or will there even more seizures, crapping out and closures to new users?

With the way crypto explodes and then dies I really don't see how any exchange can afford to train and employ enough people to be ready for something that may be months or years away. If volumes are pitiful then there aren't enough earnings to prepare and employ them in wait.

Bigger companies such as Circle are coming on board, but Circle themselves dropped BTC retail when interest died off.

Other side China and Russia planning to make the bitcoin as a legal currency. But here we see the bitcoin and other alts started dumping in the market. It reaches more than 7k USD when use the price range on the 2015 time to now.

Newbie investors may fear about the fund they have invested already here. So they may sell the bitcoins when there is little bump and does not have the knowledge to understand it will bump back in the market.  Please do not disappoint yourself. Keep hodl the funds mate.
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 08:42:41 PM

There is no such a thing as legit bull runs, there never has been. Each bull run we experienced created a fake sense of increased popularity, while in reality of nothing really has changed. Exchanges will never be able to completely adapt to the situation, because as pointed out, the hypes attracting people to sign up always fades away after a while, and that makes exchanges not upgrade too far ahead, which directly explains why they are reluctant to pump big capital into expanding their operations. Coinbase and a few other services have experienced numerous days where more than 100,000 people signed up, but I very much doubt that even 10% of that number actually end up walking themselves through the verification process. Overall, exchanges just try to balance everything in a way where they are still able to somewhat cope with the increased demand, but not in a way they have to break their bank for it. Quite often we keep hammering too hard on exchanges, which in some cases is well justified, but in some cases also not.
Fatunad

Activity: 2226
Merit: 347

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 09:46:06 PM

There is no such a thing as legit bull runs, there never has been. Each bull run we experienced created a fake sense of increased popularity, while in reality of nothing really has changed. Exchanges will never be able to completely adapt to the situation, because as pointed out, the hypes attracting people to sign up always fades away after a while, and that makes exchanges not upgrade too far ahead, which directly explains why they are reluctant to pump big capital into expanding their operations. Coinbase and a few other services have experienced numerous days where more than 100,000 people signed up, but I very much doubt that even 10% of that number actually end up walking themselves through the verification process. Overall, exchanges just try to balance everything in a way where they are still able to somewhat cope with the increased demand, but not in a way they have to break their bank for it. Quite often we keep hammering too hard on exchanges, which in some cases is well justified, but in some cases also not.
Basing into your presumptions i dont even believe that it would reach out 10% for people who would really comply such KYC policy.I would rather believe that only 5% would go though.For the on the current situation of the market,im sure they are already thinking of this thing thats why same as you said they dont really put up big amounts to extent this business.Why? They do know the risk when the market goes upside down. We are going down as of now an i would really observe each exchanges behavior into this one.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
magneto

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 07:15:51 AM

I really doubt that they'll make any major changes to their business model.

The rally that we saw last year really brought out the worst in exchanges. For example, you've got poloniex and bittrex which were previously pretty trustworthy exchanges have people completely lose faith in them because of the fact that they've got no support. Cex.io closed new registrations for a bit, numerous other exchanges are having issues as well.

But at the end of the day, they're still making money from fees and commissions. Plus, the new regulations are not in their control, and governments are more likely to act when the prices are going up.

I predict a move towards p2p trading and decentralised exchanges over the next few years, instead of current exchanges doing any better.
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 08:43:47 AM

Looks like we're on our way to hell for now at least.
to hell? I say we are headed to heaven with all the discount we are getting Cool

There probably won't be a legit bull run for a decent length of time now.
I completely agree with this.

nothing about exchanges is going to change as long as we don't demand it from them. and so far it seems like people are satisfied with the crappy, unsafe, and untrusted services all the exchanges are offering them!

this is actually why I think regulation for exchanges can be a good thing. they may be forced to follow some industry standards in order to operate and also it definitely increases their trustworthiness and because of that the market can grow a lot bigger and consequently the manipulation and volatility will be reduced. it is like a chain reaction...

Only Bitcoin
greeklogos

Activity: 658
Merit: 152

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 12:57:19 PM

Exchangers will not change a thing, coz they actually do not care of crypto prices, they earn on fees and that's the only thing they care about. But crypto newbies really can loose control on such falls and they may start to sell their coins and that will move the price even lower.
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 05:12:02 PM

this is actually why I think regulation for exchanges can be a good thing. they may be forced to follow some industry standards in order to operate and also it definitely increases their trustworthiness and because of that the market can grow a lot bigger and consequently the manipulation and volatility will be reduced. it is like a chain reaction...

I don't think it's a case of failing standards in most cases, it's just being overwhelmed.

You can't legislate enough customer service reps into existence. Ultimately it has to be paid for by someone and there won't be enough people using the exchanges to do it. By the time all those reps can be paid for and are vital it'll be too late and we'll have the same situation but possibly many degrees more insane.

Unless exchanges come under the wing of much, much bigger organisations with people in place already to spare I dunno how this problem will be addressed.
reflector

Activity: 826
Merit: 263

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 07:17:36 PM

I don't think it's a case of failing standards in most cases, it's just being overwhelmed.

You can't legislate enough customer service reps into existence. Ultimately it has to be paid for by someone and there won't be enough people using the exchanges to do it. By the time all those reps can be paid for and are vital it'll be too late and we'll have the same situation but possibly many degrees more insane.

Unless exchanges come under the wing of much, much bigger organisations with people in place already to spare I dunno how this problem will be addressed.

The exchanges having the high number of customer service executives also did not give the right response to the traders and part time buyers when there is any issue at the trades already done.
Then exchanges does not need to learn about this bubble. Already number of visits on the all top crypto currency exchanges has been reduced than 40 percent when compare with the last month same day.
nniecan001

Activity: 322
Merit: 21

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 02:39:19 AM

Exchangers will not change a thing, coz they actually do not care of crypto prices, they earn on fees and that's the only thing they care about. But crypto newbies really can loose control on such falls and they may start to sell their coins and that will move the price even lower.
Sometimes or mostly, newbie in crypto trading make a wrong decision cause of the lost emotion when bitcoin goes down like this past few days. If this continue, they will lose more and never learn anything but regret memories.
timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 03:12:07 AM

As long as exchanges are still making money, they won't change anything.

Plus, it'll be hard for them to do so because it's completely unexpected when a bull market suddenly comes and there is a load of new users. There is no warning before that happens, and the volume is way too much for their support or their trading engines to handle in the back end.

When the bull market stops, they don't have any use for the excess support staff anymore. I assume they get rid of some. Even if they don't that amount of support staff could be too little for the next bull run. It's a sticky situation.

They should really learn a lesson or two, make their capacity much bigger than the current averages so that if there was an unexpected surge in volume or users, they are prepared. But as I said, as long as they are making money off their existing customers I don't think they'll give two damns about any of this.

Smiley
pinkflower

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 05:11:14 AM

But Circle knew later that they made a bad mistake in dropping BTC. So what did they do to get back in? Buy Poloniex.

They made a good decision too, because they are back in cryptocurrencies and the purchase also made Poloniex a legitimate altcoin exchange.
trecore4

Activity: 658
Merit: 260

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 06:52:19 AM

Dont know but I see no changes in the exchanger. Your saying the right thing here that their interest might just get died off due to the continuous fall in the crypto currency volumes. But look closer to the exchangers volume, and you know what you will see in reality? The volume of the influx is actually increasing day by day and exchangers are making huge money out of it. Thats sufficient for themselves to sustain for the long period of time and give trained employment.

You speak about the 2013 crashes, though unrelated I would suggest you to check the volume differences then and now. Not just the year but the most recent 2017 year also you can check. This could be because of the low prices of the different coins giving people to stage to enter and buy more. So the effect could be somewhat opposite of what you saying.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1352

Cashback 15%

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 07:55:22 AM

I'm pretty sure each exchange operators know that the crypto market is constantly changing and can one day have so much volume and the next day, no volume at all. At an employer's standpoint, why would I hire people who are not used to these kind of stress and only to fire them once I don't need them whereas I can only focus on my trusted employees to do the work for me and just raise their salaries in such high-pressure scenarios? That doesn't only save time, but also money on the part of exchange operators. Pretty sure that's also one of the reasons why most exchanges require 24 hours before they can get back to a certain ticket because they only have a few but capable people who get the job done.

.HUGE.
▄██████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████▌██▌▐██▐██▐████▄███
████▐██▐████▌██▌██▌██▌██
█████▀███▀███▀▐██▐██▐█████

▀█████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████▀

▀██████████▀▀
█▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CASINSPORTSBOOK
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄█
Oceat

Activity: 2506
Merit: 368

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 09:08:41 AM

~
I think it's about time for a change since we have been using such crappy services, some of them are having a countless complaints and they can't do anything to all of them. I think it's better if there were a limit of users for every exchanges if they really want to improve their services to every users but i'm afraid it won't happen to such exchanges if no one implements it.

Looks like we're on our way to hell for now at least.
to hell? I say we are headed to heaven with all the discount we are getting Cool
I like your perspective here, very positive.  Grin

gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 01:28:12 PM

But look closer to the exchangers volume, and you know what you will see in reality? The volume of the influx is actually increasing day by day and exchangers are making huge money out of it. Thats sufficient for themselves to sustain for the long period of time and give trained employment.

We're still working our way down from the peak. There's still lots of volatility. Exchanges probably make more on the crashes, but the real dead zone is once the crashing is over, everyone loses interest and it melts into endless sideways. They can also be much longer periods of time than crashes or bubbles and that's where their intention to up their game may become impossible to sustain.
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 02:55:25 PM

Exchange owners at this time are expected to be experienced in the way the business in the crypto world runs and most times they are not ruled by the activities of the moment because they know its something that won't last long. In every business there are peak periods and off-peak periods but when it comes to crypto its just too uncertain and any business owner who makes enormous decision based on waves of the moment will have himself to blame.

The exchange sites that came when there was so much activities will have difficulties at this time but not those who have stand the test of time as they have witnessed both the good times, not so good times and the bad times and that is why when there are several issues concerning customer support of exchange sites, they don't just go overboard to start employing rather they make use of their resources to the maximum because they know it won't last long.
Sadlife

Activity: 1400
Merit: 269

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 04:58:07 PM

It seems some trading/exchange sites are turning into a scam or has some issues in withdrawal many users here in bitcointalk has been reporting this. Especially in this section looks like with the recent price crash it would be unlikely for the trading sites to profit from it. But for me this is a chance to earn more btc cause after the storm surely will comes the sun.

▄▄▄▀█▀▀▀█▀▄▄▄
       ▀▀   █     █
    ▀      █       █
  █      ▄█▄       ▐▌
 █▀▀▀▀▀▀█   █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█        ▀█▀        █
█         █         █
█         █        ▄█▄
 █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█   █
  █       ▐▌       ▀█▀
  █▀▀▀▄    █       █
  ▀▄▄▄█▄▄   █     █
         ▀▀▀▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀▀
CRYPTO CASINO
FOR WEB 3.0
▄▄▄█▀▀▀
▄▄████▀████
▄████████████
█▀▀    ▀█▄▄▄▄▄
█        ▄█████
█        ▄██████
██▄     ▄███████
████▄▄█▀▀▀██████
████       ▀▀██
███          █
▀█          █
▀▀▄▄ ▄▄▄█▀▀
▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
  ▄ ▄█ ▄
▄▄        ▄████▀       ▄▄
▐█
███▄▄█████████████▄▄████▌
██
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▀▀▀▀▀▀████
▐█▀    ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀        ▀█▌
     █▄████   ▄▀█▄     ▌

██████   ▀██▀     █
████▄    ▀▀▀▀           ▄████
█████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
██████▌█▌█▌██████▐█▐█▐███████
OWL GAMES
Metamask
WalletConnect
Phantom
▄▄▄███ ███▄▄▄
▄▄████▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀████▄▄
▄  ▀▀▀▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▀▀▀  ▄
██▀ ▄▀▀             ▀▀▄ ▀██
██▀ █ ▄     ▄█▄▀      ▄ █ ▀██
██▀ █  ███▄▄███████▄▄███  █ ▀██
█  ▐█▀    ▀█▀    ▀█▌  █
██▄ █ ▐█▌  ▄██   ▄██  ▐█▌ █ ▄██
██▄ ████▄    ▄▄▄    ▄████ ▄██
██▄ ▀████████████████▀ ▄██
▀  ▄▄▄▀▀█████████▀▀▄▄▄  ▀
▀▀████▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄████▀▀
▀▀▀███ ███▀▀▀
DICE
SLOTS
BACCARAT
BLACKJACK
GAME SHOWS
POKER
ROULETTE
CASUAL GAMES
▄███████████████████▄
██▄▀▄█████████████████████▄▄
███▀█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████▌
█████████▄█▄████████████████
███████▄█████▄█████████████▌
███████▀█████▀█████████████
█████████▄█▄██████████████▌
██████████████████████████
█████████████████▄███████▌
████████████████▀▄▀██████
▀███████████████████▄███▌
              ▀▀▀▀█████▀
pixie85

Activity: 2142
Merit: 524

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 10:32:30 PM

But look closer to the exchangers volume, and you know what you will see in reality? The volume of the influx is actually increasing day by day and exchangers are making huge money out of it. Thats sufficient for themselves to sustain for the long period of time and give trained employment.

We're still working our way down from the peak. There's still lots of volatility. Exchanges probably make more on the crashes, but the real dead zone is once the crashing is over, everyone loses interest and it melts into endless sideways. They can also be much longer periods of time than crashes or bubbles and that's where their intention to up their game may become impossible to sustain.

I don't get what you're so worried about. We've been here before. In February we went straight to 6000 and it was fine. Now we're not going down that fast and getting a lot of resistance on different levels. What makes you think that 6000 won't hold?
If you really want to compare this to 2013/14 then we didn't have that period of stabilization in the 70% ATH range. In the price fell from 1000 and then traded for 600-700 USD for months in Summer 2014. If we are to repeat that it's a great moment to buy.
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 10:45:07 PM

I don't get what you're so worried about.

I couldn't give a shit about price.

This is about whether exchanges will be any more robust when the whole scene explodes next time. It'll be much larger so they'd better be. I can't see much evidence of it yet.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: