Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:44:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Electricity costs money.  (Read 2116 times)
Yeti

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Firstbits: 1yetiax

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 04:26:23 AM

My power meter is digital, I don't think a magnet would stop the digits from accumulating. Even modern analog meters are tamper-proof and would require a huge magnetic field. Plus, I've heard they measure the power use of your section at the power plant, too, so any big discrepancy would surely ring some alarm bells.

Have you actually tried using a magnet? I heard that it worked some 50 years ago, but no chance today. However, I would be surprised if the meter spun faster to "make up" for the unmetered electricity. It's not like the disc has a memory how long it has been held back.

1YetiaXeuRzX9QJoQNUW84oX2EiXnHgp3 or http://payb.tc/yeti

Since Bitcoin Randomizer is dead, join the Bitcoin Pyramid (referrer id #203)! Be quick, be on top! Instant payout as soon as one of your referrals deposits!
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
legitnick

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2011, 06:01:55 AM

My parents only pay a fraction of the electric bill for the entire apartment complex.

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 06:20:43 AM

Ya I ran the numbers about a month ago, and I have decently priced electricity and it would have been about 2 months to payoff the machines if the prices stay constant and we see constant increases in difficulty

You think that's bad?  Back when one could mine hundreds or thousands of Bitcoins per DAY, you'd be looking at a payoff of around 25-30 YEARS if at all.  Now mining is more profitable than ever (save for the fluke spike back in June).

Mousepotato
Huesos

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 07:08:18 AM

My power meter is digital, I don't think a magnet would stop the digits from accumulating. Even modern analog meters are tamper-proof and would require a huge magnetic field. Plus, I've heard they measure the power use of your section at the power plant, too, so any big discrepancy would surely ring some alarm bells.

Have you actually tried using a magnet? I heard that it worked some 50 years ago, but no chance today. However, I would be surprised if the meter spun faster to "make up" for the unmetered electricity. It's not like the disc has a memory how long it has been held back.
I guess you're right I just never really looked into it and I think I read that tip in Abbie Hoffman's book Steal this book nobody really answered my question until now
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 12:04:31 PM

My computer is on 24/7 regardless, and while the mining will use abit of extra power.

It will not be anything substantial.  That's all I have to think about regarding it.
Hmm - I guess your mining very low Mh/s or CPU mining.
GPU mining makes you power usage jump dramatically above non-mining levels with useful Mh/s values ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
willphase

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 12:16:44 AM

My computer is on 24/7 regardless, and while the mining will use abit of extra power.

It will not be anything substantial.  That's all I have to think about regarding it.
Hmm - I guess your mining very low Mh/s or CPU mining.
GPU mining makes you power usage jump dramatically above non-mining levels with useful Mh/s values ...

this is correct.  Not mining I use maybe 80W, mining it goes up to 380W.  This is 2x5870s

Will

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: