Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:55:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Havelock] The Panama Fund, S.A. Acquires HavelockInvestments.com  (Read 12478 times)
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 02:36:30 AM

As far as i know, either the SEC asked them to fold up their circus tents like they claimed they did, or the exchanges are lying through their teeth.  I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.

None of the exchanges specifically said anything about SEC contacting them so we cant just assume they were given an ultimatum. It is more likely in my eyes they finally came to see the legal risks they were undertaking and didn't want to spend the time/resources to make their operations legal/safe from SEC. (its easier to just ignore them and keep collecting them bitcoins from the non-americans)

No, it becomes panama vs some random guy.  Please keep in mind that this is IRL & not Equestria, podunk countries try not to piss off the big players.  The president of the Panama (republic?), whose name is right on the tip of my tongue, given a choice between pissing off some_random_guy & USA, is likely to pick teh prior.

You do realize that in the real world the US doesn't give two shits about exchanges that operate in other countries. And even if they did they cant just walk over to panama and tell them they have to abide by their rules. Can you imagine how the world would react if the US decided that another countries laws were incorrect and they have to comply?

What would have to happen is the Panamanian government would have to comply willingly, which wont happen if they feel that a company in their country is operating legally. And it is not a contest of who you are pissing off more the US or some guy, it is a matter of being forced to change your countries existing laws to appease to the US. The most the US can do is try to block US users but that will never happen because again they don't give two shits about a legally operating exchange in another country.

If US indeed doesn't care about exchanges operating in different countries, i believe y'all have been taken for a ride by a couple of foregnese exchanges (BTCT was registered in Belize, as i remember -- a compatriot of Active Mining, who also hail from there).  Why would the two biggest exchanges just pull up stakes & abandon their trusty milkers?

A banana republic kept alive by the good will of its protectors is not likely to let a Christmas card from Uncle Sam go unanswered.  It's both poor manners & harmful to its health.

I agree that being small, insignificantly small, makes an exchange irrelevant & not worth an international stamp it would take to squash it.  My point is spazzing around the interwebz & yelling "we're licensed and legit" is not the smartest way to stay off the radar.

TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 03:28:10 AM

If US indeed doesn't care about exchanges operating in different countries, i believe y'all have been taken for a ride by a couple of foregnese exchanges (BTCT was registered in Belize, as i remember -- a compatriot of Active Mining, who also hail from there).  Why would the two biggest exchanges just pull up stakes & abandon their trusty milkers?

I agree that being small, insignificantly small, makes an exchange irrelevant & not worth an international stamp it would take to squash it.  My point is spazzing around the interwebz & yelling "we're licensed and legit" is not the smartest way to stay off the radar.

You are still failing to realize that there is a huge difference between an unregistered exchange in a country that requires registered exchanges and registered securities; and a registered exchange in a country that does not require registered securities.

According to SEC's own website, they do not include panama as one of the countries that enforces SEC jurisdiction.

Source: https://www.sec.gov/about/offices/oia/oia_cooparrangements.shtml

A banana republic kept alive by the good will of its protectors is not likely to let a Christmas card from Uncle Sam go unanswered.  It's both poor manners & harmful to its health.

You are living in a fantasy if you think a superpower like the US can dictate any countries laws it wants simply because it is "the protector" as you put it.

drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 03:57:00 AM

As far as i know, either the SEC asked them to fold up their circus tents like they claimed they did, or the exchanges are lying through their teeth.  I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.

None of the exchanges specifically said anything about SEC contacting them so we cant just assume they were given an ultimatum. It is more likely in my eyes they finally came to see the legal risks they were undertaking and didn't want to spend the time/resources to make their operations legal/safe from SEC. (its easier to just ignore them and keep collecting them bitcoins from the non-americans)

The SEC is our friend here, they JUST passed crowdfunding laws and still I doubt we are on their radar.

We need to stop acting like this is a big deal and just carry on with business
We're probably not yet on their radar, but I don't see the SEC as being our friends here. Unless they come up with some new, more relaxed regulations then they are going to suffocate the Bitcoin securities market because of a high cost of compliance.

Yes, we are on there radar, as they have talked to Ukto about us last month.  I sent Ukto our Belize documents so he could send them to the SEC.

At least we can confirm the SEC has had some contact with Bitfunder, even if it was just about ActiveMining.
18RATTT

Activity: 282
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 04:02:07 AM

watching this..

congrats on the acquisition

thecoinjournal

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 06:19:53 AM

You are still failing to realize that there is a huge difference between an unregistered exchange in a country that requires registered exchanges and registered securities; and a registered exchange in a country that does not require registered securities.

According to SEC's own website, they do not include panama as one of the countries that enforces SEC jurisdiction.

You are living in a fantasy if you think a superpower like the US can dictate any countries laws it wants simply because it is "the protector" as you put it.

But Belize seems not on the list either?

kmtan

Activity: 196

I love Bitcoin

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:41:37 AM

Great news!

Congratulations!

fractal02

Activity: 504

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 11:23:52 AM

Great !

Good move Wink
bigdude

Activity: 896

Dolphins Finance TRUSTED FINANCE

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 11:24:06 AM

Interesting news ... does that mean the atrocious GUI of havelock will be improved ?

crumbs

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 12:43:30 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2013, 05:22:29 PM by crumbs

1. See reply from thecoinjournal re: jurisdiction.

2. Selling unregistered securities to US persons runs afoul of US law, regardless of whether that law is enforced.  Claims to the contrary are simply false.  There's nothing here to debate.

3. If you feel that facts & empirical data are fantasy, and repeating "this time, it's gonna be different!" thrice will bring you back to Kansas, keep on investin'.

So continue to ignore every warning.  Continue shrieking "ZOMG WAI, WAI?!1!" each time another exchange website packs up & splits with ur monyz.  You deserve the lulzy fallout.

Edit (If it's not already obvious to everyone):
It is much harder to obtain a fishing licence in US or Canada than it is to incorporate & become a licensed exchange/medical doctor/ghostbuster/prince in Panama.  
jeffshed

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 02:38:36 PM

the sec this the sec that

FUCK the SEC!!!

stop talking about them. they don't care that much about our coin games...yet
burnside
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

Lead Blockchain Developer

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 04:52:08 PM

the sec this the sec that

FUCK the SEC!!!

stop talking about them. they don't care that much about our coin games...yet

Yes, they do.  I suspect if we were talking USD trading at the USD values these exchanges were working with, they might not, but Bitcoin is in the news a lot lately, so there's a lot of focus on it.  Thus pressure on them to make sure all the rules get followed.

November 1, 2013 - Havelock Investments (HavelockInvestments.com), a leading Bitcoin Denominated Investment Fund, announced today that it has executed a definitive agreement to be acquired by The Panama Fund, S.A, a fully licensed and registered Panamanian Investment Company.

The acquisitions creates the world's first, fully licensed, Bitcoin Denominated Fund Exchange, where companies from around the world will be able to raise capital directly, through the exclusive use of Bitcoins.
With this acquisition HavelockInvestments.com will be able to maintain its current Funds, as well as expand its operations, while attracting new opportunities in the rapidly expanding Bitcoin Marketplace.
The original HavelockInvestments.com team will remain in place and will play a key role in the future growth of the company.

We'll be following up with inquiries during the next week.

In general you have to follow the law where you live.  If online gambling is illegal where you live, you can't run an online gambling company in another country.  If dealing heroin is illegal where you live, you can't run an op that deals it in another country.  Sure, your chances of getting caught are lower, but if you're successful then sooner or later someone notices.

Kudos to the team here for reducing exposure.  Now they just have to follow through and move to Panama.  Smiley

coinfresh

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:19:14 PM

Let's say these guys do move to Panama and have servers in Panama. They are registered in Panama but not for US securities.

What exactly can the SEC do if Panama doesn't cooperate with SEC? Seems like they can't do shit. Please enlighten me.
crumbs

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:41:18 PM

Let's say these guys do move to Panama and have servers in Panama. They are registered in Panama but not for US securities.

What exactly can the SEC do if Panama doesn't cooperate with SEC? Seems like they can't do shit. Please enlighten me.

Every TLA loves a challenge that may boost its clout, coinfresh.
Plastering "Seized by da SEC" across HavelockInvestments.com seems like a likely warning shot if a friendly "wrap it up, kids" email proves noneffective.

User705
Legendary

Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:43:05 PM

This is all irrelevant marketing fluff.  The reasons various regulations regarding exchanges exist besides maintaining monopolies and preventing small time competition which is a separate issue is to give you legal means to prove ownership and seize funds and stocks.  In the bitcoin world that is irrelevant since you can't seize bitcoins nor am I sure how you'd accomplish seizing bitcoin denominated stock such as ASICMiner or others without their cooperation.  So really the only concern you should have with a bitcoin exchange is how trustworthy are the operators.  Legal structure or physical location are useless issues.  They might as we'll be on the moon.

crumbs

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:53:54 PM

...In the bitcoin world that is irrelevant since you can't seize bitcoins nor am I sure how you'd accomplish seizing bitcoin denominated stock ...

Seizing the servers comes to mind.
With Bitfunder, this would also provide all the necessary personal information of all the participants -- both issuers & holders.
From there, a child could take it.  People will trip over each other to be the first to rat Smiley 
User705
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 07:19:49 PM

...In the bitcoin world that is irrelevant since you can't seize bitcoins nor am I sure how you'd accomplish seizing bitcoin denominated stock ...

With Bitfunder, this would also provide all the necessary personal information of all the participants -- both issuers & holders.
From there, a child could take it.  People will trip over each other to be the first to rat Smiley 
Agreed but then what?  Who would be rating on whom?  The US regulation is "designed" for retail customer protection.  It's not illegal for me to buy an unregistered security it's illegal for someone to sell it to me.  So for customers the worry is to make sure the operators properly protect their BTC and stock holdings.  This isn't Silk Road where purchasing/possessing drugs or drug proceeds is illegal per se for both sellers and buyers.

BtcBling

Activity: 211

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 07:52:09 PM

Great news, following!
People can legally own companies incorporated on different countires. In such case the only thing that really matters is that the company follows laws of its jurisdiction. Of course there can be official / behind the scenes debate / pressure between governments. I see gambling rugulations quite corresponding to this.

crumbs

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:09:32 PM

From there, a child could take it.  People will trip over each other to be the first to rat Smiley  
Agreed but then what?  Who would be rating on whom?  The US regulation is "designed" for retail customer protection.  It's not illegal for me to buy an unregistered security it's illegal for someone to sell it to me.  So for customers the worry is to make sure the operators properly protect their BTC and stock holdings.  This isn't Silk Road where purchasing/possessing drugs or drug proceeds is illegal per se for both sellers and buyers.

No no no.  The ratting i'm talking about would be exchange operators vs issuers.
The buyers will be tangentially involved -- as innocent bystanders who serve as witnesses.  I'm surprised it has to be spelled out.
The forum & IRC logs will provide enough evidence to fill the gaps.

Keep in mind that most people here are not career criminals.  A phone call from LEO would be enough to get many to cooperate.  Some will take the same self-righteous stance they talk on the interwebz, only to learn how unpleasant & most of all unsatisfyingly & totally unlike TV IRL is.

When you get pulled over with a car full of shit that shouldn't be there, it's not you who makes the cop ask you to step out of the car.  It's the clueless idiot in the passenger seat who starts yapping about his rights.
User705
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:38:37 PM

Your statements about RL may be true but the issuers aren't in the US and not actively marketing to US.  This is the same as current gambling issue.  You don't see the US chasing down offshore online gambling sites do you?

crumbs

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:59:36 PM

Your statements about RL may be true but the issuers aren't in the US and not actively marketing to US.  This is the same as current gambling issue.  You don't see the US chasing down offshore online gambling sites do you?

The issuers are in US, the securities are not registered anywhere, the exchange is Canadian.  There's a Panama shell, but it carries as much legal clout as the toy detective badge from a cereal box.  It provides as much protection as burnside's Belize incorporation -- none.

As far as not targeting US, OP disagrees:
... and that there will be no changes to existing user requirements (ie US users are fine). ...
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: