Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:00:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which operating system(s) do you use?
Windows XP - 14 (8.1%)
Windows 7 - 55 (31.8%)
Windows 8 - 17 (9.8%)
Linux Ubuntu - 27 (15.6%)
Linux Debian - 8 (4.6%)
Linux Fedora - 2 (1.2%)
Linux Mint - 5 (2.9%)
Mac OS X - 14 (8.1%)
Other Linux - 17 (9.8%)
Other Windows - 8 (4.6%)
Other Mac - 1 (0.6%)
Other - 5 (2.9%)
Total Voters: 95

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which operating system(s) do you use? (Poll)  (Read 2132 times)
Ecurb123 (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 10:25:31 PM

I wanted to make this poll after seeing the thread below:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=309601.0
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 11:05:37 PM

Yeah, a poll is nicer. One of my options was "Other Linux", namely Tails.

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 03:14:01 AM

Windows 7; it's the worst operating system, except for all the others.  Win8 is too tacky and I couldn't believe its apps had ads; official windows apps with ads.  Microsoft pls

Then XP is aging not so well and slowly losing support.  I don't even want to talk about Vista.  OSX only works on Macs and I don't feel like dropping all that cash just to dick about on a Mac.  Linux works great if all you do is surf the web or write software; otherwise it's still a bit of a jungle and there's no guarantee what you're trying to do can be efficiently or comfortably accomplished with Linux software; besides that, I would be using Linux if all the software that's written for Windows was on it.

Still rooting for Linux, though; Ubuntu has come very close to being complete enough to compete with the big dogs, but it's still not there.

Ecurb123 (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 08:42:36 AM

Windows 7; it's the worst operating system, except for all the others.  Win8 is too tacky and I couldn't believe its apps had ads; official windows apps with ads.  Microsoft pls

Then XP is aging not so well and slowly losing support.  I don't even want to talk about Vista.  OSX only works on Macs and I don't feel like dropping all that cash just to dick about on a Mac.  Linux works great if all you do is surf the web or write software; otherwise it's still a bit of a jungle and there's no guarantee what you're trying to do can be efficiently or comfortably accomplished with Linux software; besides that, I would be using Linux if all the software that's written for Windows was on it.

Still rooting for Linux, though; Ubuntu has come very close to being complete enough to compete with the big dogs, but it's still not there.

I've been using, or trying to use Linux for the past 10 years, in my opinion, for the first time with Ubuntu 13.04, Linux is ready for regular folks now. For me at least it's just working pretty much perfectly.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 08:55:39 AM

I've been using, or trying to use Linux for the past 10 years, in my opinion, for the first time with Ubuntu 13.04, Linux is ready for regular folks now. For me at least it's just working pretty much perfectly.

Yes, it's a great OS, and I want to use it, but my kind of work demands the Windows OS unfortunately Sad  My graphics tablet requires proprietary drivers that are only currently emulated on Linux, so a lot of the features don't work.  The list of software is quite limited as well; it's getting better all the time, but as of right now, the best I can get is nowhere close, nor used professionally, as to what is available on Win/Mac.  That whole open source thing Tongue

Besides that, I can use Ubuntu very well for writing, browsing the web (and there's not a lot you can't do with a browser nowadays), playing around with C++ and stuff of that nature.  It's noticeably faster as well, especially Lubuntu.

MargaretsDream

Activity: 162

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 09:13:39 AM

Best is Win XP, the new Win 8 is joke. Hopefully Microsoft comes with new version able to run on low end comps.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 09:58:27 AM

Windows 95
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 12:05:21 PM

I used to love XP. But manually connecting everything can take up a lot of time.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
Baitty

Activity: 532

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 12:09:29 PM

I used to love XP. But manually connecting everything can take up a lot of time.

What do you mean manually connecting everything?

MakeBelieve

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 12:22:59 PM

Installing all the drivers manually.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 01:32:50 PM

Actually, Windows 2000 is the best Windows version, because it has the highest number :-)
beegatewood

Activity: 297
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 03:15:59 PM

It should take you less then 30 minute, just search for your motherboard and tata, you got 90% of your drivers...

Baitty

Activity: 532

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 03:21:15 PM

Installing all the drivers manually.

Oh. Yeah, I got used to it quickly and new where to get everything and used to install everything and get it up and running within 20 minutes.

Ecurb123 (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 09:29:43 PM

This is very interesting data so far, and I almost want to believe it's not right, but currently the most popular OS for bitcointalk.org is Linux. This tells me that the bitcoin community very much still geeky. Consider that in the general population Linux is only on about 1.6% of desktops according to Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 10:58:44 PM

This is very interesting data so far, and I almost want to believe it's not right, but currently the most popular OS for bitcointalk.org is Linux. This tells me that the bitcoin community very much still geeky. Consider that in the general population Linux is only on about 1.6% of desktops according to Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Yes, I would assume that a substantial percentage of bitcoiners in this forum use Linux.

mogrith
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1001

Use Coinbase Account almosanywhere with Shift card

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 11:08:40 PM

I really liked the BeOS. This was in the 33Mhz 486 days. it was a very good media player and had multi processor (think core) support built in.

I also was into OS/2 but IBM agreed to kill it so MS would sell Win95 to them for their PC hardware.

Merge mine BLC+PHO+ELT+XDQ+BBTC+UMO+LIT pool is open http://la1.blakecoin.com tips: 1MogRiTHpQZ7bkpq49cSVWADrTt7Jrghp
roflmao129

Activity: 266

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 12:24:50 AM

Using Windows7. Could get 8 for free but wouldnt want it.

ScryptAsic

Activity: 647
Merit: 501

GainerCoin.com 🔥 Masternode coin 🔥

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 01:29:02 AM

Using Andriod Smiley...
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 03:08:03 AM

I'll say it again in this thread. I've Windows 8 for my gaming PC and Ubuntu for my server.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
MakeBelieve

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 03:08:58 AM

I'll say it again in this thread. I've Windows 8 for my gaming PC and Ubuntu for my server.

Windows 8 for gaming? How good is that?

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: