Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:55:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you get an address?  (Read 1303 times)
Anillos2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 07:48:57 PM

If you use a good password you can use Electrum. It's tinny in size and very secure, since the wallet doesn't exit, It's generated everytime that you need it from the password.

But remember that the password should be strong and You should write it in paper.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RealT (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 08:03:45 PM

Okay,
I definitely don't want "private keys" being stored on the computer.
Danny Hamilton advised that I learn about paper wallets, and I think this is a good idea to avoid storing "private keys" on the computer (please correct me if I'm wrong).
You are right ^^

So what would the steps be to have an address with no private keys stored on a computer?

Thanks again.

You could create paper wallets at https://www.bitaddress.org
(It's also possible to store that website and use it offline)

1.  I visited the site and it generates the private key for you.  How is this secure?  i thought that only the private key holder should know what it is, but here a computer is generating it for you!?

2.  Can't you just write the numbers down for your private key, why do you need a paper wallet?

This is crazy......
Thanks
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 08:08:56 PM

Can't you just write the numbers for the wallet down?
Yes, you can (and it would also be called paper wallet).
That provides no benefit over printing them (unless you have no printer xD), but a very high chance of you making a mistake.
And then in 2 years you are sitting there, was that a "5" or a an "S"?

If your computer is malware infected right now that malware could capture whatever you look at.

1.  I visited the site and it generates the private key for you.  How is this secure?  i thought that only the private key holder should know what it is, but here a computer is generating it for you!?
Obviously you have to choose a good source for that, the good ones are open-source, so that everybody (skilled enough) can find if there is anything wrong with it.
the private keys are generated randomly.
RealT (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 09:03:53 PM

Can't you just write the numbers for the wallet down?
Yes, you can (and it would also be called paper wallet).
That provides no benefit over printing them (unless you have no printer xD), but a very high chance of you making a mistake.
And then in 2 years you are sitting there, was that a "5" or a an "S"?

If your computer is malware infected right now that malware could capture whatever you look at.

1.  I visited the site and it generates the private key for you.  How is this secure?  i thought that only the private key holder should know what it is, but here a computer is generating it for you!?
Obviously you have to choose a good source for that, the good ones are open-source, so that everybody (skilled enough) can find if there is anything wrong with it.
the private keys are generated randomly.

Okay, is the site you recommended opensource?  in short, what is the absolute most secure way to do this (get an address, get a handwritten paperwallet, get a private key).
Can you make your own private key (if so, how)?
Sorry for the questions, but all I want to do is get some BTC securely and I don't think this is too much to ask.  Obviously this process needs to become much more accessible to the general public in order for mainstream adoption.

Thanks
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 09:23:40 PM

Okay, is the site you recommended opensource?
yes

in short, what is the absolute most secure way to do this (get an address, get a handwritten paperwallet, get a private key).
The absolute most secure one? Guess you have to ask the more paranoid (or more technical versed) ones for that ^^
But using that wallet creator on a laptop that will never go online again is very secure.
There are also other very secure options, like the Armory Offline Wallet and Trezor.

Can you make your own private key (if so, how)?
Sorry for the questions, but all I want to do is get some BTC securely and I don't think this is too much to ask.

Thanks
I guess you could do the math yourself / write your own program that does calculate an address (ask in the tech board ^^) or try out different combinations with an import function (e.g. in bitcoin-qt client) until you have a valid address.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 09:41:48 PM

Four different suggestions so far!  How's a noob to figure this out?

Go to bitcoin.org and click on "Get Started With Bitcoin". It will help you choose a wallet.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 09:48:00 PM

Before you go down the paper wallet path too far, keep in mind that the private keys must be in a wallet on a computer connected to the internet in order to send or spend bitcoins (unless you are using armory, or something like it).

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 09:51:55 PM

It depends on how much bitcoins you are looking to hold.  If it's just a small amount, using an online wallet such as blockchain is nice.  Inputs.io is not exactly a wallet but I do keep some bitcoin in there too.

Get a bitcoin-QT and back it up if you want to feel secure.  Or cold storage Wink
RealT (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 10:44:39 PM

It depends on how much bitcoins you are looking to hold.  If it's just a small amount, using an online wallet such as blockchain is nice.  Inputs.io is not exactly a wallet but I do keep some bitcoin in there too.

Get a bitcoin-QT and back it up if you want to feel secure.  Or cold storage Wink

More BTCs than I would walk around with in my pocket if it were cash.  More than I could get over easily if they were lost.
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 12:10:40 AM

Hello,
I'm trying to get started with BTC and am definitely uncertain about some things.  I am planning to get some BTC from a person on localbitcoins.com.  What are the steps to do this?  I have no cell phone.
1.  How do I get an address?
2.  How do I get a passcode to buy and sell the BTC and store it securely (not online for people to hack)?
3.  How do I confirm that I've received the BTC once I give the seller the cash?

Thanks

1. You can get the bitcoin-qt which downloads the whole blockchain, but I recommend http://coinbase.com since they are online (accessible everywhere), you can buy and sell BTC from them, and they pay the fees for you!!!

roflmao129

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 12:12:51 AM

Go to bitcoin.org and click on "Get Started With Bitcoin". It will help you choose a wallet.

I believe that trybtc.com is also a nice site to first check out bitcoins.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 01:09:24 AM

More than I could get over easily if they were lost.

You do understand that bitcoin is still experimental and could become worthless at any time right?  This is an extremely risky investment, and carries a significant opportunity of overwhelming loss.  You really shouldn't be putting money into bitcoin that you can't get over if it's lost.
BarkinTree

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 01:42:40 AM

i like inputs.io -- i know, i know, get a qt client, learn about being safe and alll that stuff, but for convenience, i love it!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 01:52:49 AM

i like inputs.io -- i know, i know, get a qt client, learn about being safe and alll that stuff, but for convenience, i love it!

That's not a wallet.  That's an uninsured, unregulated, un-audited bank account.  Don't let anyone tell you differently.

If you don't have the private key, then you don't have the bitcoins.  It's as simple as that.  You have generously given away your bitcoins to a complete stranger based on a promise that they've given you that they will send those bitcoins anywhere you like anytime you like whenever you ask them to.

Imagine.  You're walking down the street with $1000 in your pocket.  You come to a corner where someone has set up a folding table and put out a sign printed on a piece of cardboard.  You're curious so you ask them what they're doing. They explain to you that they are operating a corner bank.  They tell you that if you give them all the cash in your pocket, they will hold on to it for you.  Then at any time in the future, you can just ask them to spend it for you and they will deliver the cash wherever you like.  They are not insured by the FDIC (or anyone else). They do not go through any sort of audit or submit to any oversight. You are not allowed to know how much total cash they are holding right now.

Do you hand them your $1000 and walk away, hoping that they'll still be there with their folding table tomorrow when you come back to ask for some of that cash to be sent somewhere?  If not, why would you do the same with your bitcoins?
jason44

Activity: 36

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 02:12:23 AM

I suggest electrum. It's a really nice wallet that doesn't make you download a huge blockchain.
RealT (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 02:14:06 AM

More than I could get over easily if they were lost.

You do understand that bitcoin is still experimental and could become worthless at any time right?  This is an extremely risky investment, and carries a significant opportunity of overwhelming loss.  You really shouldn't be putting money into bitcoin that you can't get over if it's lost.

If I speculate and lose to the market of natural flaws of the BTC than fine.  If I lose to a hacker or a technical mistake than I will be upset (as anybody would).  The subject of this thread is how to purchase and store it securely.

I've read alot of contradictory info.  Some of this info. actually suggests that the main websites for BTC info aren't telling you the safest way to store the "key".  Again, I like the philosophy of BTC, but need to be comfortable before purchasing.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: