Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:04:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 4.5 GH/s BFL - How is it so?  (Read 1627 times)
Pyr3x (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 02:17:51 PM

How did BFL tune down the Jalapeño to 4.5 GH/s, is it an actual hardware difference or was it simply firmware? If so can it be undone?

Thank you

[/quote]

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█       P A X F U L       █  █        ЛУЧШAЯ P2P ПЛATФOPMA ДЛЯ CДEЛOК C БИTКOИHOM         █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█  █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 04:34:53 PM

when they got their chips they graded 'em

some will do 3-4GH/s
some will do 4-5GH/s

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
Pyr3x (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 05:39:23 PM

So then I assume it cannot be fixed? lol

Thanks for the reply!

[/quote]

█       P A X F U L       █  █        ЛУЧШAЯ P2P ПЛATФOPMA ДЛЯ CДEЛOК C БИTКOИHOM         █
Pyr3x (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 05:23:13 PM

Don't you need a hardware jtag interface?

[/quote]

Taugeran

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

CCNA: There i fixed the internet.

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 10:49:17 PM

it can be done soley with a raspberry pi and some GPIO wires Tongue will try to find link

just note that flashing it will void warranties and theres no going back after going bla.. i mean custom

Bitfury HW & Habañero : 1.625Th/s
tips/Donations: 1NoS89H3Mr6U5CmP4VwWzU2318JEMxHL1
Come join Coinbase
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:54:32 AM

I think the warranty only stands as long as they are making those devices.When the Monarch starts shipping,the warranty is over on 65nm stuff.....................................

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Pyr3x (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:24:53 PM

it can be done soley with a raspberry pi and some GPIO wires Tongue will try to find link

just note that flashing it will void warranties and theres no going back after going bla.. i mean custom

Thank you sir! I'd love to give it a shot. I am not too worried about the warranties as Butter Fly Crap is the worst company I have ever had to deal with.

[/quote]

soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 08:11:54 PM
Last edit: November 06, 2013, 08:40:27 PM by soy

Looking over the RPi flashing of a Jalapeno on http://randomcontent.wolfnexus.net/RandomSite/reflashing-a-butterfly-labs-jalapeno-with-only-a-raspberry-pi/

I see the last post, when a customer had gotten his Jalapeno mid-October, that something failed and there were no success posts following.  He had erased the firmware but hadn't succeeded in getting the new firmware installed.  A reply from Wolfnexus states:

Looks like one of the settings in the STEPPINGS file is incorrect or missing. This is due to the change in MCU that the Jalapenos are now using. I haven't yet had time to look into what needs to be changed, nor do I have one of the newer Jalapenos to test with. Any other users out there care to share what they did to resolve this issue?

Since mine was shipped about the same time as the one that failed to take the new firmware, I'm hesitant about giving it a try myself.  Mine is marginally above about 10% less than the 5GH/s expected.  They indicated they would give 5GH/s because the power figure was so much higher than what was specified at the time the pre-order was placed but then they said Hell, those pre-orders went so cheaply we'll ship most of those (non-upgraded) as a little better than 4.5GH/s. Huh

I had mine apart and looked for the buck converter which required faster FETs than they had been using but only found a no-name replacement in its stead.  So, they're using different, cheaper, chips now. 

On the other hand it could be that Wolfnexus gave a face-saving reply to the user he suspected of not following procedure to the letter.

So, anybody who managed to replace the firmware in a Jalapeno manufactured after the first week in October, I'd appreciate knowing.
Red_Wolf_2

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 01:02:40 AM

Looking over the RPi flashing of a Jalapeno on http://randomcontent.wolfnexus.net/RandomSite/reflashing-a-butterfly-labs-jalapeno-with-only-a-raspberry-pi/

I see the last post, when a customer had gotten his Jalapeno mid-October, that something failed and there were no success posts following.  He had erased the firmware but hadn't succeeded in getting the new firmware installed.  A reply from Wolfnexus states:

Looks like one of the settings in the STEPPINGS file is incorrect or missing. This is due to the change in MCU that the Jalapenos are now using. I haven't yet had time to look into what needs to be changed, nor do I have one of the newer Jalapenos to test with. Any other users out there care to share what they did to resolve this issue?

Since mine was shipped about the same time as the one that failed to take the new firmware, I'm hesitant about giving it a try myself.  Mine is marginally above about 10% less than the 5GH/s expected.  They indicated they would give 5GH/s because the power figure was so much higher than what was specified at the time the pre-order was placed but then they said Hell, those pre-orders went so cheaply we'll ship most of those (non-upgraded) as a little better than 4.5GH/s. Huh

I had mine apart and looked for the buck converter which required faster FETs than they had been using but only found a no-name replacement in its stead.  So, they're using different, cheaper, chips now. 

On the other hand it could be that Wolfnexus gave a face-saving reply to the user he suspected of not following procedure to the letter.

So, anybody who managed to replace the firmware in a Jalapeno manufactured after the first week in October, I'd appreciate knowing.

I'm the webmaster of that site, and my post is hardly a face saving reply, I based my reply purely on what James posted. BFL changed the MCU they used between the initial version of Jalapeno and later versions. The only real difference is the older ones have more flash memory to store the programming in, and I believe the new Jalapenos also have a newer version of the ASIC with functional engine 0, although this doesn't affect whether or not you can use JTAG to upload new firmware.

Sadly I haven't got any of the newer version of Jalapenos, so I can't test and update the procedure to suit...

Probably should put something here.... Maybe an LTC address?
LeNdJidEvsyogSu2KbC1u3bfJSdcjACFsF
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 02:11:24 AM

I think the warranty only stands as long as they are making those devices.When the Monarch starts shipping,the warranty is over on 65nm stuff.....................................

So at least another 12 months.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: