Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:37:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How anonymous is BTC....  (Read 1274 times)
durrrr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 02:37:38 PM

my understanding was that bitcoins were all untracable and that was what was so hard to take silkroad down about?

"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
exstasie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 02:40:01 PM

The first node to broadcast a transaction is probably the one where it was made. You can try to link its IP to a person, but how are you going to do that and what if they used Tor? I guess you're out of luck then

We get a device fingerprint for all transactions that occur on the network, so we can see everything about an from what IP/Proxy they are using, to what version of flash, browser they have.  If they are using Tor it makes it a bit more challenging, but at least we can see the IP address that is assigned and look that way

giorgiofr

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 02:49:21 PM

The first node to broadcast a transaction is probably the one where it was made. You can try to link its IP to a person, but how are you going to do that and what if they used Tor? I guess you're out of luck then

We get a device fingerprint for all transactions that occur on the network, so we can see everything about an from what IP/Proxy they are using, to what version of flash, browser they have.  If they are using Tor it makes it a bit more challenging, but at least we can see the IP address that is assigned and look that way

I am not sure that's going to help you. What IP do you log specifically? The local IP is useless (99% NAT, etc.), the Tor exit point IP effectively masks the guy unless you're 3 NSAs. An IP obtained via an external service a la whatismyip is also going to give you the Tor exit node, is it not?
All in all, I feel like your best course of action would be to track fraudsters like you're already doing and try to stop them when they show up again, ban them or something of the sort.
Then again if they know what they're doing, your evercookie, digital fingerprint or what have you will not work properly either.
Just trying to throw out some ideas here, not trying to bash your operation or anything Smiley
exstasie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 02:56:35 PM

I am not sure that's going to help you. What IP do you log specifically? The local IP is useless (99% NAT, etc.), the Tor exit point IP effectively masks the guy unless you're 3 NSAs. An IP obtained via an external service a la whatismyip is also going to give you the Tor exit node, is it not?
All in all, I feel like your best course of action would be to track fraudsters like you're already doing and try to stop them when they show up again, ban them or something of the sort.
Then again if they know what they're doing, your evercookie, digital fingerprint or what have you will not work properly either.
Just trying to throw out some ideas here, not trying to bash your operation or anything Smiley

haha, I agree 100%.  In general, the IP address is essentially useless to since everyone is using dynamic IPs, Tor, or something program to prevent us from doing anything with IP.  And yes, everything we get would be the Tor Exit node.  There really isn't much we can do, but our 'evercookie' does provide some good intelligence if it is the same device performing the same fraud, which we can then shutdown and prevent from doing further transactions.

mineradam

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 03:26:17 PM

haha, I agree 100%.  In general, the IP address is essentially useless to since everyone is using dynamic IPs, Tor, or something program to prevent us from doing anything with IP.  And yes, everything we get would be the Tor Exit node.  There really isn't much we can do, but our 'evercookie' does provide some good intelligence if it is the same device performing the same fraud, which we can then shutdown and prevent from doing further transactions.

Still your provider knows what IP was used in what time. So you can find people and IP is sufficient

1.5$ for every referral http://goo.gl/nRUaKD
Interized

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Coolness: ∞

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 05:13:52 PM

haha, I agree 100%.  In general, the IP address is essentially useless to since everyone is using dynamic IPs, Tor, or something program to prevent us from doing anything with IP.  And yes, everything we get would be the Tor Exit node.  There really isn't much we can do, but our 'evercookie' does provide some good intelligence if it is the same device performing the same fraud, which we can then shutdown and prevent from doing further transactions.

Still your provider knows what IP was used in what time. So you can find people and IP is sufficient

If you are connecting to a VPN/proxy they cannot tell the difference between the million other connections you have going on unless they did a full blown investigation on every single IP/port/etc you connected to.

Just going to a web page full of ads spits out 10+ IP connections.

If you setup your own proxy system its even more difficult.

You could also setup VMWARE on your pc if you are worry about being identified with other tricks, go to McDonalds use that Wifi.. Go to a hotel.. Go to a nieborhood full of WiFi connections..

So many ways to make you anonymous but Bitcoin by itself isn't anonymous.

I have a theory that one day we will all be assigned an IP (like SSN only on a global scale) similar to how they assign IPs for servers.

Basically if you don't have an IP you cannot get on the internet and everything you do with this IP is forever recorded. No proxy systems will exist and the only way to "proxy" yourself would be using someones IP which then would essentially be like identity theft/borrowing.

This would solve endless problems in the web hosting world, but right now no one will accept it.

Gold isn't the answer.
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 06:14:18 PM

And who would run this world wide IP/SSN database?

nate008

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:07:16 AM

And who would run this world wide IP/SSN database?

IANA in collaboration with the local government?
infinitybo

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 06:01:22 PM

exstasie, an user can create as many BTC addresses as they wen, each new address, once used is visible on the public block chat, and all its transactions are also completely visible.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: