Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:21:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How are you for Preparing Aug 12 if the Market Collaps  (Read 4397 times)
BitcoinBug

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 07:52:24 PM

if the US dollar crashes, will the price of bitcoins crash as well, or go up?

US dollar won't crash because of debt ceiling, this is just a reality show of republicans vs democrats. Long term, I believe some kind of worldwide system collapse is inevitable and will probably result in hyperinflation eventually (5-20 years).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 07:55:16 PM

Hi

How will  you survive if the US Dollar causes the Markets to crash on Aug 2nd..

How will you keep your money safe.. if the Dollar experiences runaway inflation

Thank you..

1) Staying out of paper markets/investments. No 401k, mutual funds, etc.

2) Acquiring commodities, capital tools, and commodity-producing assets

a) Ideal commodities at this point: silver, gold, bitcoins.

b) Capital tools (probably not the right term) include things like, at the low end, a quality tool set that will last a lifetime. Also includes readily-usable skills.

c) I would have just said income-producing assets, but just being able to generate cash probably won't cut it. Rental properties will continue to be worse and worse in this regard as inflation surges, especially considering the market crash isn't over yet.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Andris

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 08:55:59 PM

The US dollar will not cause a market crash.  A default on or a downgrade to US debt is what may cause a collapse.  Absolute worse case scenario is a default situation where interest is not paid on Treasuries.  Odds of this happening are very VERY small.  Even without an increase in the debt ceiling.  A downgrade is much more plausible.  A raise in the debt ceiling has a fairly good chance of happening.  It would be a self-inflicted wound to do otherwise.  However, S&P says they need to see cuts of $4 trillion over the next 10 years in addition to the debt ceiling being raised in order to prevent a downgrade.  This may be harder to achieve as both plans in debate do not cut to this magnitude.

How do you protect yourself in a market crash?  Keep your money out of the market.  How do you make money in a market crash?  Short the market, buy gold, buy treasuries, maybe even play the VIX.

As for inflation, I see no signs of "runaway" inflation at this time.  In the end, I think Congress and Obama will just kick the can down the road. 

Market prices are maintained by smarter people than who work at S&P. Their influence over the US borrowing rate will be less than their influence over Japan's, which was roughly zero.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 09:25:30 PM

c) I would have just said income-producing assets, but just being able to generate cash probably won't cut it. Rental properties will continue to be worse and worse in this regard as inflation surges, especially considering the market crash isn't over yet.

I read in an analysis of the Wiemar Germany hyperinflation that savers got slaughtered of course.  Holders of stock in companies actually came out of the other side relatively OK.

The most interesting thing to me was rental property owners.  Apparently during the crisis they had problems in that rent controls came in early on creamed them over the course of the event.  On the other side, they still had their property, though it is my assumption that they did not do much maintenance during the event.

I expect that a problem in Oceana would/will be somewhat different (if hyperinflative at all.)  The people who got chased out of 'their' homes when the real estate bubble popped will be large in number and irritable about things, and the governments at all levels are particularly hungry for revenue.  I theorize that there will be a backlash against people who have more homes than they need and onerous taxes will be levied.

For this reason, I limited my own investment in this class.  I have only enough real estate property to fly pretty much under the radar (I hope) and/or assist my immediate family members should they happen to end up in need.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Clavulanic

Activity: 714
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 01:05:43 AM

While I have some money in the bank, my overall amount of money is in the negatives. I owe money thanks to loans for school. So I guess it would be good for me (at this point in time) if the dollar crashed! Inflation means I pay back my debt with dollars that are worth less than when I borrowed them! I think I got that right, as long as I remembered economics from high school.

██████████

████████

██████

████

██████

████████

██████████
Appreciate Coin
Send and receive tokens
in blogs and social
media communities
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
▄████ ███ █████ ███ ████▄
▄█████▄▄ ▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄ ▄▄█████▄
██████▀▀ ▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀ ▀▀██████
██████ ███ █████ ███ ██████
██████▄▄ ▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄ ▄▄██████
▀█████▀▀ ▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀ ▀▀█████▀
▀████ ███ █████ ███ ████▀
▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
NO
INFLATION

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄███████▀▀▀███████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀  ▄  ▀▀▀▀████▄
▄████  ▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄  ████▄
▄█████  ███████████  █████▄
████▀  ▄██▀     ▀██▄  █████
████  ████  ███  ████  ████
████▄  ▀██▄     ▄██▀  █████
▀█████  ███████████  █████▀
▀████  ▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀  ████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄  ▀  ▄▄▄▄████▀
▀███████▄▄▄███████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
TECHNICAL
INTEGRATIONS

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀██████████▄
▄█████████▀   ▀█████████▄
▄████████▀       ▀████████▄
█████████▄▄█▌ ▐█▄▄█████████
████████████▌ ▐████████████
▀███████████▌ ▐███████████▀
▀██████████▌ ▐██████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
GROWING
USE CASES

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████████▀   ▀████████▄
▄████▀     ▄▄▄     ▀████▄
████▀  ▄███████▀▀██▄  ▀████
████  ████  ▀▀  ▄████  ████
████▄  ▀███▄  ▄████▀  ▄████
▀████▄     ▀▀▀     ▄████▀
▀████████▄   ▄████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
EASE OF
CRYPTO TRADING

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██████████

████████

██████

████

██████

████████

██████████
Kermee

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 01:09:55 AM

While I have some money in the bank, my overall amount of money is in the negatives. I owe money thanks to loans for school. So I guess it would be good for me (at this point in time) if the dollar crashed! Inflation means I pay back my debt with dollars that are worth less than when I borrowed them! I think I got that right, as long as I remembered economics from high school.

So you're not paying interest on your loans?

Cheers,
Kermee
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 01:18:10 AM

In a mild form of crisis that might work to some extent.  I thought about hedging along these lines, but eventually decided against it.

I think it would be naive to expect that in a bad case with a re-invented currency, creditors would take a haircut.  My bet is that outstanding debts would be re-interpreted by the courts and re-calibrated to keep the debtors in more or less in their current condition.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Clavulanic

Activity: 714
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 03:27:01 AM

So you're not paying interest on your loans?

Cheers,
Kermee

As it stands my loans are subsidized by the US government. I start paying interest until 6 months after I graduate. Though I may end up having to put a few grand on unsubsidized loans this semester  Sad
It'd be neat if I paid back my debt with worthless money, but I'd be getting paid in worthless money too lol. I'd rather the dollar stay the same  Undecided

In a mild form of crisis that might work to some extent.  I thought about hedging along these lines, but eventually decided against it.

I think it would be naive to expect that in a bad case with a re-invented currency, creditors would take a haircut.  My bet is that outstanding debts would be re-interpreted by the courts and re-calibrated to keep the debtors in more or less in their current condition.

From what I understand this happened a few times throughout US history. The debtors were getting mad so in some cases where the states still had their own money, the state printed a ton of money to ease their pain. Of course that screwed over the creditors. Pretty sure the federal government has done that before too. Not a history/economics major, as one can see by my name.

██████████

████████

██████

████

██████

████████

██████████
Appreciate Coin
Send and receive tokens
in blogs and social
media communities
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
▄████ ███ █████ ███ ████▄
▄█████▄▄ ▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄ ▄▄█████▄
██████▀▀ ▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀ ▀▀██████
██████ ███ █████ ███ ██████
██████▄▄ ▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄ ▄▄██████
▀█████▀▀ ▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀ ▀▀█████▀
▀████ ███ █████ ███ ████▀
▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
NO
INFLATION

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄███████▀▀▀███████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀  ▄  ▀▀▀▀████▄
▄████  ▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄  ████▄
████▀  ▄██▀     ▀██▄  █████
████  ████  ███  ████  ████
████▄  ▀██▄     ▄██▀  █████
▀████  ▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀  ████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄  ▀  ▄▄▄▄████▀
▀███████▄▄▄███████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
TECHNICAL
INTEGRATIONS

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀██████████▄
▄█████████▀   ▀█████████▄
▄████████▀       ▀████████▄
█████████▄▄█▌ ▐█▄▄█████████
▀███████████▌ ▐███████████▀
▀██████████▌ ▐██████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
GROWING
USE CASES

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████████▀   ▀████████▄
▄████▀     ▄▄▄     ▀████▄
████▀  ▄███████▀▀██▄  ▀████
████  ████  ▀▀  ▄████  ████
████▄  ▀███▄  ▄████▀  ▄████
▀████▄     ▀▀▀     ▄████▀
▀████████▄   ▄████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
EASE OF
CRYPTO TRADING

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██████████

████████

██████

████

██████

████████

██████████
JCbit

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 08:16:36 PM

well the debt ceiling has been lifted
we dodged a bullet there! Roll Eyes
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 11:22:46 PM

It'd be neat if I paid back my debt with worthless money, but I'd be getting paid in worthless money too lol. I'd rather the dollar stay the same  Undecided

What, you're not going to be paid in Bitcoins?!

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: