Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:55:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should Bitcointalk.org prohibit the buying and selling of accounts?
Buying and selling of accounts should be prohibited. - 19 (51.4%)
Buying and selling of accounts should not be prohibited. - 18 (48.6%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: (PETITION) The act of BUYING/SELLING Bitcointalk.org Accounts (Poll)  (Read 5554 times)
maursader (OP)

Activity: 509
Merit: 250

Disrupt the banking system!

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 03:10:15 AM
Last edit: December 31, 2013, 02:31:06 AM by maursader

Hey everyone this is a two part post for META:

This is something I feel needs to be addressed more closely.

*** PART 1 ***
The Poll

This poll is something to get a general feel for how the community feels about account buying and selling on bitcointalk. If you hate the idea of people buying/selling accounts here, please read part 2 below. If you support the idea of buying/selling accounts, please feel free to comment, and vote.

*** PART 2 ***
The Petition

Personally, I think selling accounts for any site is wrong because you don't own the account itself. Bitcointalk owns the account, and by selling accounts you're profiting off their work. It also gives new users a false sense of reputation which exposes members of our community at risk. It also allows companies that are new to the asic market snatch them up and start cross promoting illicitly. Creating multiple accounts en masse artificially raises the community size. Those are just a few reasons of many as to why account selling isn't good. I'm sure we could post more. If you agree with this, please feel free to 'sign' this petition.

*** PART 3 ***
The Updated Poll

So it's been noted that the poll options may need to be a bit clearer. So based on the feedback in this thread, I will restart the poll, however, if you want to see the OLD results, click here Old results were as of 12/30/2013.

The poll has been updated, and vote counter has been zero'd out to maintain fairness of the thread, and to every voter. If you have (or have not) already voted, please cast your vote. Thanks.

Cheers.
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jambola2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 03:48:31 AM

I can just imagine one of the big ASIC sellers , coming here with their hundreds of purchased accounts and down-voting this Tongue

No longer active on bitcointalk, however, you can still reach me via PMs if needed.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 07:19:25 AM

You cannot ban account selling because you cannot know which accounts are being sold.  The only thing this petition would provide is an illusion, which exacerbates the problem, because the public would have no clue that it even occurs.

This website is not in a vacuum; honestly, the Internet's a big place, believe me.

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 08:48:50 AM

Selling accounts will never stop

Now, two possibilities:
- it's forbidden, so people will think that no account has been sold, so they will value the fact of being registered for a long time
- it's allowed, so people will be suspicious of everybody

The better solution is crystal-clear

(that doesn't mean I think that selling accounts is morally ok)

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
maursader (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 03:06:39 PM

Cool, interesting responses especially with the poll. Although there is no way to detect which accounts are sold directly I do believe much like vBulletin, you can detect fishy account movements and multiple accounts. Basically each account that logs into this site has their information stored on a server sided log. If an admin were to pull up a person who has several accounts linked to their ip, and those accounts actively log in from different locations, you now have a better idea who is selling and where the buyers are. Just my two cents. I know many sites restrict the use of multiple accounts, which is why most of us have many accounts, otherwise we all would be selling bitcointalk accounts.
tinyteapot

Activity: 1148
Merit: 275

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 03:25:20 PM

I sold my first account here, got 0.2btc (probably the eqv of 0.005 now!) for it. I wanted the btc at the time and was happy to receive it, but I wish I hadn't as it had my proper internet name. And the guy who bought it, from what I can tell, only used it twice. I'd like it back.
maursader (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:05:54 AM

Yeah.. probably not a good idea for next time. lol
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:30:25 AM

Its not whether its Ok or not, its that the forums staff knows there is absolutely no way they could possibly enforce it. The users of this forum aren't like the users of a Hello Kitty forum. They have a certain degree of technical savvy, and understand how to use Proxies or Tor. The fact that Selling and Buying accounts here is allowed has nothing to do with the admins of the site agreeing with the process, we have just figured out something that strangely quite a few governments haven't figured out yet. You cant make unenforcable laws.
raspcoin

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:57:16 PM

An account is a commodity like any other. Why should it be treated differently?

Rupture

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:14:46 PM

It can't be stopped, so why not leave it in the open so people know it's happening.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:27:09 PM

It's sad that this happens. But, you can't stop it. I would only agree to someone selling accounts if they personally disclosure all the accounts usernames after each sale. That way we know that the account has been sold and we can be suspicious of it. That way the seller may lose a lot of money, but at least we know that he/she is doing something to prevent scamming.

Although, accounts being sold on the forum should never be allowed. It's not something we can stop as previously stated. People would just register from a VPN get what ever rank they want via tor and sell it at a external site or even at this site.

maursader (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 04:31:38 AM

I'm curious what Theymos thinks about the idea given the current poll results.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 04:39:02 AM

I'm curious what Theymos thinks about the idea given the current poll results.

Oddly, I figured a lot more people would be against it. 50% don't care. Even if it was 100% against, still wouldn't change the fact that its an unenforcable rule. Bitcoin users in general tend to have the ability to use Tor or Proxies, or find other little loopholes. Clock enthusiast forums may be able to eliminate account sales, and multi accounts, and such, but BTCTalk users are technical enough to know that its just an inconvience to be IP banned or have individual accounts banned.
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 06:42:52 AM

IMO, account selling is somewhat analogous to selling a business.

Martijnvdc

Activity: 322

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 09:53:46 AM

Except that there's no way to tell if the transaction of that business happened, or if it's still the same person... It could happen without anyone knowing.
An untrustworthy person can become well trusted for the wrong reason. It just opens up whole new ways to pull of big scams.
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 02:32:29 PM

Except that there's no way to tell if the transaction of that business happened, or if it's still the same person... It could happen without anyone knowing.

Right, exactly the way selling a business works.

An untrustworthy person can become well trusted for the wrong reason. It just opens up whole new ways to pull of big scams.

Suggestion: don't trust people for wrong reasons.

dominicwin

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 05:46:47 AM

I get a number of messages always from obvious scams, but from old accounts. They have to be purchased? A lot of the times the message doesn't correlate after looking at their post history.

CUBAN CIGARS for Sale - Full Boxes and Individual Cigars https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=299151.0
Austrian GOLD 1oz PHILHARMONICS -  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=330401.0
BUYING BTC HERE https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334920.0
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2013, 06:17:27 AM

Most of those are hacked accounts that fell for it.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
maurya78

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 07:54:33 AM

Great idea but not sure it can be enforced rigorously

And if we can't enforce it absolutely, best not to initiate measures that perpetuate the myth that we are

Mondy

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 08:44:27 AM

Honestly it shouldnt be 'banned' however buyers should be looked at to know if they are scammers.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: