Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:44:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to import electrum.dat file (created with 1.8.1) in Electrum 1.9 ?  (Read 7236 times)
simpic (OP)

Activity: 1237
Merit: 789

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 12:03:39 PM

I noticed that Electrum 1.9 doesn't use anymore electrum.dat file to store own wallet.
Am i right?
So, if i want to restore my wallet keeping labels, how to import electrum.dat file in new release?

"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 12:20:23 AM

I noticed that Electrum 1.9 doesn't use anymore electrum.dat file to store own wallet.
Am i right?
So, if i want to restore my wallet keeping labels, how to import electrum.dat file in new release?

Always put some info about you Operating System and the binary you are using. I guess you are on Windows with Standalone/Portable?

I think that what you say is fixed and is waiting for a release. Could you explain it more clearly?

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
simpic (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:42:24 PM

I'm on Ubuntu-Gnome 13.10.

bizz

Activity: 492

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:32:23 AM

Just installed new electrum and indeed there is no electrum.dat. Wallet file is now in wallets folder and called 'default_wallet'.

What to do if we want to update offline client? Someone said on reddit that seed can be restored only when online from this version  Huh

Ubuntu 13.10 here too but I don't think that matters for wallet questions.
btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 05:08:03 PM

Just installed new electrum and indeed there is no electrum.dat. Wallet file is now in wallets folder and called 'default_wallet'.

If you were updating it turns the old electrum.dat into a /wallets/default_wallet automatically.

What to do if we want to update offline client? Someone said on reddit that seed can be restored only when online from this version  Huh

This bug was fixed, check the 1.9.2 zip file for offline restore / update.

Ubuntu 13.10 here too but I don't think that matters for wallet questions.

The only problem encountered in Ubuntu 13.10 is in the installation process that needs to run this line for slowaes
Code:
$ sudo apt-get install python-slowaes

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
simpic (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 01:34:05 PM

What to do if we want to update offline client? Someone said on reddit that seed can be restored only when online from this version  Huh

How to import old electrum.dat file via offline restore?
When i run new release of Electrum it asks for creating new wallet or restore it by seed or master key.

btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 10:08:27 AM

When i run new release of Electrum it asks for creating new wallet or restore it by seed or master key.

If the electrum.dat file is in the user folder, when updating the client will turns it into the new wallet structure /wallets/default_wallet

tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 02:31:48 PM

How do you do this for Windows? Huh

I tried updating with putting electrum.dat (which I kept on a memory stick) back in the Appsdata Roaming/Electrum folder but it Electrum won't start up when I put the electrum.dat there. I don't like programs that autisticly change file locations with new updates. It seems I can only reclaim my Bitcoins by finding the seed. If only I knew where I kept it. Seems I have lost my Bitcoins. Angry
btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 03:03:33 PM

I tried updating with putting electrum.dat (which I kept on a memory stick) back in the Appsdata Roaming/Electrum folder but it Electrum won't start up when I put the electrum.dat there. I don't like programs that autisticly change file locations with new updates. It seems I can only reclaim my Bitcoins by finding the seed. If only I knew where I kept it. Seems I have lost my Bitcoins. Angry

If you put your backup of the electrum.dat in the Electrum's user directory \Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Local\Electrum the latest version will turn it to the new format /wallets/default_wallet

Writing the seed and keeping it in a safe place is the first thing the client warns you to do after opening it.

If you still have your electrum.dat and you know the password it is encrypted with, you are safe to restore your wallet.

btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 03:06:01 PM

@tinus42 you can open the wallet with File > Open in the menu options and then use File > Copy to make a local copy of it.

tinus42

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 03:09:00 PM

If you put your backup of the electrum.dat in the Electrum's user directory \Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Local\Electrum the latest version will turn it to the new format /wallets/default_wallet

Writing the seed and keeping it in a safe place is the first thing the client warns you to do after opening it.

If you still have your electrum.dat and you know the password it is encrypted with, you are safe to restore your wallet.

OK thanks, will try this! Can you recover the seed when you have access to your wallet? I did write it down but later mislaid the copy.
simpic (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:40:37 PM

If the electrum.dat file is in the user folder, when updating the client will turns it into the new wallet structure /wallets/default_wallet

Do you mean /home/user folder or /home/user/.electrum folder?
Anyway i didn't update the client, now i just have an electrum.dat file and a fresh install on Electrum 1.9.2.

PS: I see now that they released 1.9.4... how to delete the previous version before install the new one?

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 07:11:21 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2013, 08:06:55 PM by Abdussamad

OK thanks, will try this! Can you recover the seed when you have access to your wallet? I did write it down but later mislaid the copy.

Yes you can. There is an option in the menus. But you will need your password.

edit: it's under the wallet menu in 1.9.x.
simpic (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:59:44 PM

Anyway i didn't update the client, now i just have an electrum.dat file and a fresh install on Electrum 1.9.2.

PS: I see now that they released 1.9.4... how to delete the previous version before install the new one?

Help Smiley

btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 05:08:10 PM

Help Smiley

You don't have to uninstall to update.

Your wallet file is located in the /wallets/ folder (the default file is called default_wallet):

On Windows

*Show hidden files
*Go to \Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Local\Electrum

On Mac
*Open Finder
*Go > Go to folder (shift+cmd+G) and type ~/.electrum

On Linux
*Home Folder
*Go > Location and type ~/.electrum

simpic (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:12:55 AM

Help Smiley

You don't have to uninstall to update.

Your wallet file is located in the /wallets/ folder (the default file is called default_wallet):

On Windows

*Show hidden files
*Go to \Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Local\Electrum

On Mac
*Open Finder
*Go > Go to folder (shift+cmd+G) and type ~/.electrum

On Linux
*Home Folder
*Go > Location and type ~/.electrum

I updated Electrum to version 1.9.4 with no problems, thank you.

But as i said before i have to restore an old wallet created with Electrum 1.8.1. This file i named "electrum.dat" and in the old versions it was in /.electrum folder.
How to restore it since now Electrum uses "default_wallet" file instead of "electrum.dat" and it stores wallet in "/.electrum/wallet" folder instead of "/.electrum"?

Thank you.

btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 08:48:44 AM

I updated Electrum to version 1.9.4 with no problems, thank you.

But as i said before i have to restore an old wallet created with Electrum 1.8.1. This file i named "electrum.dat" and in the old versions it was in /.electrum folder.
How to restore it since now Electrum uses "default_wallet" file instead of "electrum.dat" and it stores wallet in "/.electrum/wallet" folder instead of "/.electrum"?

Thank you.

Again, if you have an old install, Electrum will turn your old electrum.dat to the new structure /wallets/default_wallet

If you are making a new installation and want to bring your electrum.dat you can either put the electrum.dat in the ./electrum folder or restore from your seed (if you restore from seed won't have your labels unless you were using Label Sync)

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:09:51 AM

If you are making a new installation and want to bring your electrum.dat you can either put the electrum.dat in the ./electrum folder or restore from your seed (if you restore from seed won't have your labels unless you were using Label Sync)

No need to restore from the seed. He can open any electrum wallet file using either of these two methods:

- Run Electrum. Then choose File menu > open and select the file on your filesystem

- Use the -w command line switch - electrum -w /path/to/wallet/file.dat . This method is useful if you want to create a shortcut to your wallet file.
simpic (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 05:51:53 PM

Again, if you have an old install, Electrum will turn your old electrum.dat to the new structure /wallets/default_wallet
Again, i don't have an old install, i have just the electrum.dat file (of an old install that was on my pc before formatting).

If you are making a new installation and want to bring your electrum.dat you can either put the electrum.dat in the ./electrum folder
Again, it doesn't work.

No need to restore from the seed. He can open any electrum wallet file using either of these two methods:

- Run Electrum. Then choose File menu > open and select the file on your filesystem
Again, how to do this if when i open Electrum for the first time i can't reach that menu?

Please read the previous posts, thank you!

tinus42

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 06:32:51 PM

Again, i don't have an old install, i have just the electrum.dat file (of an old install that was on my pc before formatting).

If you are making a new installation and want to bring your electrum.dat you can either put the electrum.dat in the ./electrum folder
Again, it doesn't work.

Again, how to do this if when i open Electrum for the first time i can't reach that menu?

Please read the previous posts, thank you!

Can't you just generate a new wallet when installing and when you have the main screen open the file from the File Menu as described? Never tried this myself though.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: