Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:06:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Noob question about using two PCs  (Read 508 times)
bitcoin_builder (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 01:08:06 PM

Let's say I install bitcoin-qt on PC1. It is syncd with network.
I save my wallet and encrypt it.
I then start mining and finds 1 coin.

Then I install bitcoin-qt on PC2. It is syncd with network.
Here I get another wallet.
Now if I find a coin, where will it be saved?

I mean do I need both wallets to claim those 2 coins found or only wallet on PC1 will work for both?
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MineNerd

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 01:17:42 PM

By default each PC will have its own wallet address. However, you can import the private key from one wallet so they both have the same address.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_import_private_keys_v7%2B

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 02:09:07 PM

If you are mining with a mining pool, then you don't need Bitcoin-Qt installed on the computer at all.  You simply indicate to the pool what address you want your share paid to.
ampbuster

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 06:54:14 AM

you can import the wallet from PC1 to be used in PC2 and they will both show the same amount of bitcoins in your wallet Smiley

Crayeo multipools: http://pools.crayeo.com | Missing balance in Coinye pool? Send an email to ray@crayeo.com
http://scrypt.cc?ref=baas2 Dividend paying commodity!
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:03:19 AM

you can import the wallet from PC1 to be used in PC2 and they will both show the same amount of bitcoins in your wallet Smiley
By default each PC will have its own wallet address. However, you can import the private key from one wallet so they both have the same address.

That is a bad idea because after you send money from one of the wallets, the two wallets will no longer be in sync and will show different amounts. If you try to fix it without understanding what happened, you could lose some bitcoins.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
bitcoin_builder (OP)

Activity: 23

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:25:02 AM

That is a bad idea because after you send money from one of the wallets, the two wallets will no longer be in sync and will show different amounts. If you try to fix it without understanding what happened, you could lose some bitcoins.

Yeah this is what I am worried about. But isn't it strange this such basic feature is not easily available in program? Or people only install it on one PC throughout their life?
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:50:38 AM

If you want a single wallet available on multiple computers you can use blockchain.info

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
undeadknight

Activity: 8

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:59:00 AM

Let's say I install bitcoin-qt on PC1. It is syncd with network.
I save my wallet and encrypt it.
I then start mining and finds 1 coin.

Then I install bitcoin-qt on PC2. It is syncd with network.
Here I get another wallet.
Now if I find a coin, where will it be saved?

I mean do I need both wallets to claim those 2 coins found or only wallet on PC1 will work for both?

FYI, they are 2 separate wallet, it depends on which Bitcoin address that you put on your pool withdrawal. If you want both of the wallet combined then use the backup wallet.dat files and replace it to your 2nd wallet...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: