Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:19:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is heat all energy from mining?  (Read 2372 times)
Orgrimmar (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 07:47:37 PM

Electrical energy goes into my GPU and changes to heat energy.

Is 100% of the energy being changed to heat when mining, or is there a small portion that is still electricity? The data bits I am sending to the BTC network must still be electrical energy, right?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rigel
Legendary

Activity: 1240
Merit: 1001

Thank God I'm an atheist

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 08:10:34 PM

You have a weird idea of how a telephone line or a network works Smiley

When you receive or transmit data your network card absorbs from the network approximately the same energy it emits. All this energy doesn't go somewhere: simply becomes heat.
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 08:16:28 PM

Maybe there's some microscopic entropy change when finding the right nonce from all the possibilities.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Orgrimmar (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 08:39:27 PM

You have a weird idea of how a telephone line or a network works Smiley When you receive or transmit data your network card absorbs from the network approximately the same energy it emits. All this energy doesn't go somewhere: simply becomes heat.
But when I watch a picture on my screen, some of the electricity (data bits) that are being transferred to the monitor will become light energy when the monitor displays it.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 08:42:33 PM

You have a weird idea of how a telephone line or a network works Smiley When you receive or transmit data your network card absorbs from the network approximately the same energy it emits. All this energy doesn't go somewhere: simply becomes heat.
But when I watch a picture on my screen, some of the electricity (data bits) that are being transferred to the monitor will become light energy when the monitor displays it.

When that light strikes something it will convert into heat.*  Energy is never lost only converted.

Computers (including bitcoin miners) do no WORK in the physics sense of the word.  Thus for all practical purposes 100% of the electrical energy becomes thermal energy (heat).

Run a miner which pulls 1 KW from the wall for 1 hour and you have 1 kWh electricity in, 1 kWh heat out.  

*If the light passes through your window some of the energy may convert into heat outside your house but for all intents and purposes this is a negligible rounding error.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 12:24:49 AM

i say this with all respect, but are you an idiot? your sceen is connected to a power source that provides all the power = light. the data from your computer is carried in a fraction of a watt, and simply tells the screen where to point the power to make light on a pixel

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Kimowa

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 12:47:08 AM

Is 100% of the energy being changed to heat when mining, or is there a small portion that is still electricity? The data bits I am sending to the BTC network must still be electrical energy, right?

In theory, 100% of the energy is converted to heat but not as efficient as a heater... no matter what the electricity is used for, it will still product heat for that part....

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 12:54:20 AM

In theory, 100% of the energy is converted to heat but not as efficient as a heater... no matter what the electricity is used for, it will still product heat for that part....

An electric (resistance) heater is also 100% efficient.  Any resistance load is equally efficient.  It can't be more or less.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 01:29:27 AM

An electric (resistance) heater is also 100% efficient.  Any resistance load is equally efficient.  It can't be more or less.
But not all heaters work by resistance. A heat pump will provide about 3 to 5 times as much heat as the electricity it consumes, and is therefore the obvious choice for anyone who cares about their electricity bill, or who wants to confuse the Hell out of people who think they understand thermodynamics but don't.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 01:33:19 AM

True I guess it might just be geography but around here nobody calls a heat pump a heater.
johncarpe64

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 01:35:16 AM

But not all heaters work by resistance. A heat pump will provide about 3 to 5 times as much heat as the electricity it consumes, and is therefore the obvious choice for anyone who cares about their electricity bill, or who wants to confuse the Hell out of people who think they understand thermodynamics but don't.

Thanks for the explanation, I remember reading somewhere a good heat pump can produce 5 BTU per watt instead of 1 BTU... oh well...
thew3apon

Activity: 784

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 02:04:43 AM

Yes, 100% energy goes to heat, If you want to reduce heat use platinum PSU.. it would save about 5-20% depending on your current PSU..
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 02:14:30 AM

Thanks for the explanation, I remember reading somewhere a good heat pump can produce 5 BTU per watt instead of 1 BTU... oh well...

To clarify a heatpump can MOVE 3W to 5W (not BTU) for every 1W used.  It is simply moving heat from outside to inside (in winter) or heat from inside to outside (in summer).
beegatewood

Activity: 297

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:19:10 AM

You going to heat your house with GPU? You better think twice cause I see some forum member saying there is weird smell while GPU mining. It might have serious side effect.....

Sythyn

Activity: 1082
Merit: 505

A Digital Universe with Endless Possibilities.

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 10:26:32 AM

You going to heat your house with GPU? You better think twice cause I see some forum member saying there is weird smell while GPU mining. It might have serious side effect.....

Anybody know anything about the smell? I had GPU in my house but it doesn't seems to smell bad...
Korporal

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 02:46:22 AM

Your GPU should smell like $$.
Zawamiya

Activity: 526

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 01:09:09 AM

Your GPU should smell like $$.

No it smells like burned metal....
bigb159

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 06:35:01 PM

Anybody know anything about the smell? I had GPU in my house but it doesn't seems to smell bad...

Mined with 3 GPUs for a year. No smells. Only heat. Clean the GPUs of dust and consider re-oiling the fans occasionally.
MelodyRowell

Activity: 394

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 01:48:05 AM

Mined with 3 GPUs for a year. No smells. Only heat. Clean the GPUs of dust and consider re-oiling the fans occasionally.

Well, it smells for me, I later find out that its due to my PSU overheating and the smell came from capacitor...
Walking Glitch

Activity: 252

Amateur Professional

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 08:41:46 AM

Well, it smells for me, I later find out that its due to my PSU overheating and the smell came from capacitor...

Tends to happen when you burn silicon. Blew up 3 PSUs in one week, two of them were chained together, and the third was the was actually the first one that blew up, necessitating the other two. My setup with those two would have made any 2011 bitcoin miner proud. Cheesy (I'm not surprised the two that were chained together blew up.)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: