Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:42:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is heat all energy from mining?  (Read 2370 times)
BitcoinHeroes

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 10:39:31 AM

Electrical energy goes into my GPU and changes to heat energy.

Is 100% of the energy being changed to heat when mining, or is there a small portion that is still electricity? The data bits I am sending to the BTC network must still be electrical energy, right?

You going to heat your house with GPU? You better think twice cause I see some forum member saying there is weird smell while GPU mining. It might have serious side effect.....

Anybody know anything about the smell? I had GPU in my house but it doesn't seems to smell bad...

Mined with 3 GPUs for a year. No smells. Only heat. Clean the GPUs of dust and consider re-oiling the fans occasionally.

Well, it smells for me, I later find out that its due to my PSU overheating and the smell came from capacitor...

Tends to happen when you burn silicon. Blew up 3 PSUs in one week, two of them were chained together, and the third was the was actually the first one that blew up, necessitating the other two. My setup with those two would have made any 2011 bitcoin miner proud. Cheesy (I'm not surprised the two that were chained together blew up.)

Did you use more power then your PSU can handle? I usually use about 15% of their capacity....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dogjunior

Activity: 407
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 04:04:34 PM

Winter time is the best time for mining. No heater on and you can smell money in the air. LOL. Summers are brutal. Got to monitor temps all the time on the gpu's. Moving fan's and trying to keep them cool. A lot of work but in the end it is worth it.
Walking Glitch

Activity: 252

Amateur Professional

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 04:36:39 PM

Is 100% of the energy being changed to heat when mining, or is there a small portion that is still electricity? The data bits I am sending to the BTC network must still be electrical energy, right?

You going to heat your house with GPU? You better think twice cause I see some forum member saying there is weird smell while GPU mining. It might have serious side effect.....

Anybody know anything about the smell? I had GPU in my house but it doesn't seems to smell bad...

Mined with 3 GPUs for a year. No smells. Only heat. Clean the GPUs of dust and consider re-oiling the fans occasionally.

Well, it smells for me, I later find out that its due to my PSU overheating and the smell came from capacitor...

Tends to happen when you burn silicon. Blew up 3 PSUs in one week, two of them were chained together, and the third was the was actually the first one that blew up, necessitating the other two. My setup with those two would have made any 2011 bitcoin miner proud. Cheesy (I'm not surprised the two that were chained together blew up.)

Did you use more power then your PSU can handle? I usually use about 15% of their capacity....

On my former primary one? About 2/3s capacity. On the chained ones? About 2/3s of the combined 12V rail capacity, but one was 11 years old and sat outside in a shed for 5, and the other was an off-brand OEM Dell one. The chained ones worked for a good 7 hours before they blew up though!
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 11:04:31 PM

Miners give off MASSIVE amounts of heat. I would also agree with your thought that they give off electrical energy somehow.
Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 09:13:55 AM

Miners give off MASSIVE amounts of heat. I would also agree with your thought that they give off electrical energy somehow.

What do you mean by electrical energy?
waltermot321

Activity: 322

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 10:40:44 AM

On my former primary one? About 2/3s capacity. On the chained ones? About 2/3s of the combined 12V rail capacity, but one was 11 years old and sat outside in a shed for 5, and the other was an off-brand OEM Dell one. The chained ones worked for a good 7 hours before they blew up though!

Woohoo, I never blow up my PSU yet.... working well for 4 months now...

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: