Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 05:50:34 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Verge got hit by a sever 51% attack; while Dev team brushed it aside as minor.  (Read 130 times)
JuniAiko (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

DOGE:DDvXm3ZkXSFeZF9YVaTWGNyBZzfwVf8nnh

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2018, 09:55:14 AM

Verge, a ”privacy coin” famed for the zealotry of its community, has fallen prey to a 51% attack. A malevolent miner gained majority control of the network hashrate, a feat that makes it possible for the controlling entity to modify transactions, calling the integrity of the entire blockchain into question. Around 250,000 verge were stolen by the attacker, forcing the project team to prepare a hard fork.

Read more here: https://news.bitcoin.com/verge-is-forced-to-fork-after-suffering-a-51-attack/

[|NEO|ONT|XLM|WAN|ADA|ELA|VEN|EOS|NCASH|TRX|IOTA|>
JuniAiko (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

DOGE:DDvXm3ZkXSFeZF9YVaTWGNyBZzfwVf8nnh

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2018, 12:09:00 PM

I also do not get why so many people buy into their "announcement of the biggest partnership in crypto history" hype at all too. :\
I may be wrong, but it immediately triggered my "red-flag" sensors.

Any news of who that partner is? And is it really that significant as they have claimed it to be?

[|NEO|ONT|XLM|WAN|ADA|ELA|VEN|EOS|NCASH|TRX|IOTA|>
Severniti

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 12:53:28 PM

This is bad. And it is a privacy coin. I hope they will do a good job to recover from this one.
The partnership would help, but the moment is hard.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18587

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 01:19:12 PM

This is an absolute shitshow. Have a read of this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3256693.msg33949269#msg33949269.

I lost track of just how many times I warned people about Verge. It seems we can add "completely insecure" and "totally incompetent devs" to the following list:

• plagiarised
  • not private
  • missed deadlines
  • cancelled announcements
  • non-existent partnership that cost the community $75 million
  • obvious scam

Monetniy

Activity: 252
Merit: 12

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 01:28:49 PM

All holders of this coin were thrown in shock. I very much was delighted when I have seen the smart growth of this coin. This news has just shaken me as I am a holder of XVG, and in solid quantity. The problem is global, I hope developers will try will cope with pressure and will improve the product that from now on it wasn't.

▰   SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform   ▰
■▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬■
Github   -   Discord   -   Twitter   -   Telegram   -   Get Free Airdrop Now!
yo_mama

Activity: 89
Merit: 5

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 05:09:06 AM

People are stupid, they believe in their own religious hallucination and call facts and reality as "fake" "FUD". If you wake them up they call you STFU.

Blockchain and cryptocurrency are not inherently secure in themselves. Bad design can make them vulnerable.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: