Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:47:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crap, I reformatted, did I lose my BTC?  (Read 4670 times)
Cablesaurus (OP)

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2011, 05:42:22 PM

I reformatted... I backed up my bitcoin directory... but when I restored it on the fresh OS my wallet was not intact...

I forgot to backup the appsettings/roaming/bitcoin directory.

I made a note of my wallet hash ID prior. Am I screwed?

PCIe Extender Cables; Dummy Plugs, Fans; PSU Cables; Cases & More
Visit www.Cablesaurus.com and our forum thread at http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6128.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
February 08, 2011, 05:48:24 PM

Switch this computer off right now (hard switch off: you want to avoid any writting on the disk) and use an other computer to search for "recover formated data" on the web.

Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2011, 06:23:52 PM

I reformatted... I backed up my bitcoin directory... but when I restored it on the fresh OS my wallet was not intact...

Are you missing your wallet.dat file or is it damaged?

If it is missing, then grondilu's advice is the best anybody can do.
If it is damaged, then it might be possible to extract the private keys from it.

This type of thing is why off-site backups are a really good idea...

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
fabianhjr

Activity: 322

Do The Evolution

View Profile
February 08, 2011, 07:56:02 PM

Search for recuva or a forensics distro. Booting from a CD or with other computer do a "quick" recovery and search for wallet.dat If it does not appear do a "deep" recovery, -which basically reads bit by bit your hard drive and scans for files such as plaintext, avi, etc-, and search for it. If it is damaged there is still a chance you can recover the keys else you are out of luck.

LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
February 08, 2011, 08:03:30 PM

Use something like Dropbox next time. Undecided

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
February 08, 2011, 08:30:47 PM

GetDataBack has a good reputation for recovering data from formatted drives. You must run it on some other computer with the target drive attached. You should never attempt recovery by running an OS on the target drive.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
adv

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 09, 2011, 12:18:36 AM

If it is damaged, then it might be possible to extract the private keys from it.
Exist some ready-made tools for this?

U may thank me here: 14Js1ng1SvYBPgUJnjNAEPYH4d6SHF79UF
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 09, 2011, 01:14:52 AM

Use something like Dropbox next time. Undecided
That might just exchange one risk (risk of loss) for another (risk of theft).  If you synch dropbox between your desktop and your laptop or other device, backing up your wallet to dropbox actually might also mean you are propogating your wallet onto your laptop.
  Here's more on safe backup as well: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1679.msg29488#msg29488

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2011, 02:24:46 AM

I am training people to use a TrueCrypt file backed up in DropBox to combine both loss protection and theft protection in a fairly easy to use package.  Still leaves the risk of theft from the running client, but there's not really any way around that unless someone develops an integrated TrueCrypt/Bitcoin client that only prompts for Truecrypt password when you need to transfer money out.  Which would be a pretty sweet deal for mining since you can deposit mined coins in without needing the wallet.dat to be decrypted with the password, so you could securely leave headless machines lying around.  As gruesome as that sounds.

sincerely,
eMansipater

Full disclosure: DropBox link is a referral link.  It gives both me and any new users extra free space when they sign up.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
February 09, 2011, 04:10:02 AM

You could also use something like GPG for encrypting the file. I use that + Dropbox + a helper application I'm working on that manages encryption, decryption, and backup.
Luke-Jr
Legendary
expert

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
February 09, 2011, 04:40:29 AM

If it was a lot, and this all seems like a lot of work, you might offer a bounty for someone to do it for you. Be sure you trust them.

Cablesaurus (OP)

Activity: 302

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2011, 07:52:36 AM

I'm not complaining from a personal standpoint, it was my stupidity, and while I lost 95btc, many could have lost a lot more. I guess that's my point, if Bitcoin is to survive as a real userfriendly service..... online backup is going to have to be at the top of the list.

You can't have some vendor who knows little about Bitcoin but graciously starts to accept it, and then loses his earnings in a mere system crash.

PCIe Extender Cables; Dummy Plugs, Fans; PSU Cables; Cases & More
Visit www.Cablesaurus.com and our forum thread at http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6128.0
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
February 09, 2011, 04:23:28 PM

I'm not complaining from a personal standpoint, it was my stupidity, and while I lost 95btc, many could have lost a lot more. I guess that's my point, if Bitcoin is to survive as a real userfriendly service..... online backup is going to have to be at the top of the list.

You can't have some vendor who knows little about Bitcoin but graciously starts to accept it, and then loses his earnings in a mere system crash.

I don't know what more we could do.  I think the bitcoin community makes it quite clear that you have to make backups of your wallet.  Maybe we could had some reminders in the GUI, but I think it's best to assume the user is responsible from what he does or does not.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2011, 06:11:27 PM

Perhaps you can initiate a sector-by-sector search of your hard drive for strings that would occur in wallet.dat.  You could use a utility like WinHex for this.  (use Tools - Open Disk - choose the physical disk by disk NUMBER, not by disk LETTER)

As others have said, you should not be BOOTING from this disk, otherwise, doing so rapidly lessens the likelihood of recovery as more sectors are overwritten.

Even if you cannot recover the entire file, if just the private keys themselves can be hand-recovered, you may get back your BTC.  The private keys themselves are only a few dozen bytes and can probably be found in the same sector, or adjacent sectors, to the readable Bitcoin address.

Do you know any of your Bitcoin sending or receiving addresses?  Those appear in the wallet file as strings you could search for.

If I search my wallet.dat, in addition to the addresses, I also find the strings "blockindex" (repeatedly), "defaultkey", and "addrIncoming".  Of course, these strings will probably also occur in the client, so ignore hits that contain lots of other Bitcoin programming-related text.

if you could find disk sectors containing these strings, having a trusted person inspect them plus all the surrounding sectors could probably yield the coins.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 09, 2011, 07:14:02 PM

Do you know any of your Bitcoin sending or receiving addresses?

If you don't know any of your addresses, you could search for all the addresses in the block chain.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: