Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:30:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinTerra Engineering Update: TerraMiner IV Hashing Live  (Read 5793 times)
turtle83

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 05:10:24 PM

FWIW : http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/1CTtm4iiwqt35Rgew1DQW6YoSwN4bKNopf

Thats the eligus account used in screenshot/video

Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
miahallen

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 05:28:08 PM

Which is why I mentioned GPUs, which use similar levels (on the high end)  Wink

the same thing.. no gpu runs at the wattage that a hashfast or cointerra asic is going to run at  these things are using hundreds of watts 24/7, and not peaky like a graphics card.  and yet again, no graphics card has as many asics on it, nor as much power requirement as a high end bitcoin miner.  the sheer amount of power that these things will draw compared to a graphics card - significantly more power required.   this isn't just take a graphics card power circuit and multiply by four.  its not that easy.

Actually, the most difficult part of building a reliable VRM is dealing with transitions...so according to what you just stated, ASICs would be easier since they fluctuate less....however, I disagree, I think ASICs power will fluctuate a lot as we know that hashing is a very volatile activity.

Plenty of GPUs run at around 250W TDP...thats about the same as the ASICs in the CoinTerra box...I've owned and overclocked many of them.  I have a little idea of what I'm talking about  Tongue

I've traveled the world overclocking competitively...these pictures are from a North American championship I won in 2009...

http://s161.photobucket.com/user/miahallen/slideshow/GOOC2009

I've actually won two NA championships and a world championship  Wink
aerobatic

Activity: 702
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 05:31:45 PM

Which is why I mentioned GPUs, which use similar levels (on the high end)  Wink

the same thing.. no gpu runs at the wattage that a hashfast or cointerra asic is going to run at  these things are using hundreds of watts 24/7, and not peaky like a graphics card.  and yet again, no graphics card has as many asics on it, nor as much power requirement as a high end bitcoin miner.  the sheer amount of power that these things will draw compared to a graphics card - significantly more power required.   this isn't just take a graphics card power circuit and multiply by four.  its not that easy.

Actually, the most difficult part of building a reliable VRM is dealing with transitions...so according to what you just stated, ASICs would be easier since they fluctuate less....however, I disagree, I think ASICs power will fluctuate a lot as we know that hashing is a very volatile activity.

Plenty of GPUs run at around 250W TDP...thats about the same as the ASICs in the CoinTerra box...I've owned and overclocked many of them.  I have a little idea of what I'm talking about  Tongue

I've traveled the world overclocking competitively...these pictures are from a North American championship I won in 2009...

http://s161.photobucket.com/user/miahallen/slideshow/GOOC2009

with your skill set you should be working for one of these bitcoin mining asic companies !

miahallen

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 06:15:19 PM

LOL, thanks, I've thought about it, but I'm not an engineer  Grin

In the first picture in that slideshow, the guy wearing the black shirt on the right is Francois Piednoel, one of the lead CPU architects for Intel.  We had some good conversations about CPU design back in the day Smiley
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 06:51:33 PM

a lot of 'engineers' aren't engineers either

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
DubFX

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 06:54:12 PM

Looks nice!  Cheesy
miahallen

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 06:55:36 PM

a lot of 'engineers' aren't engineers either
QFT  Roll Eyes   Grin
CAMTRONNNNN

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

7uck7m7th

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 07:46:55 PM

http://s161.photoBTCucket.com/user/miahallen/slideshow/GOOC2009

That is awesome miahallen!! Great stuff!

I would like to see you working on the cutting edge ASIC/Scrypt miners too!

(are you?!)

Bitcoin student and passionate speaker.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: