Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:19:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Asus Ares 4GB Dual Radeon HD 5870 Limited Edition Value?  (Read 2789 times)
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 05:26:47 PM

assuming 7xxx will be cheaper... has there been any pricing info on 7xxx?
huh? I'm saying 7xxx will make the 6xxx series less valuable. If I'm correct I hope to see the 6870 for example drop about 10%.

that's the "typical" expectation of a typical product line...  but look at what happened with 5xxx series vs. 6xxx  a bunch of 5xxx are worth more used than what they sold new for.

it really depends on how they price 7xxx  it may not be economical if it costs too much.  but this is all speculation and kinda pointless to talk/guess about it... we'll just have to see what happens when they are out.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mike678

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 05:32:43 PM

that's the "typical" expectation of a typical product line...  but look at what happened with 5xxx series vs. 6xxx  a bunch of 5xxx are worth more used than what they sold new for.

it really depends on how they price 7xxx  it may not be economical if it costs too much.  but this is all speculation and kinda pointless to talk/guess about it... we'll just have to see what happens when they are out.
I'm sure that initially a used 5xxx series card was worth less. I feel like there will be a small window where you'll be able to pick up 6xxx cards for cheap before they go to 5xxx series prices.
eskamobob1

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 06:07:36 PM

do a completed items search on ebay... I believe they have been selling for ~$800ish in good condition.

WTF are you talking about? 7xxx are not out yet. or am i living under a rock?

he is talking about the ares :p
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 06:32:52 PM

I'm sure that initially a used 5xxx series card was worth less. I feel like there will be a small window where you'll be able to pick up 6xxx cards for cheap before they go to 5xxx series prices.

Hope you're right!
eskamobob1

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 07:57:46 PM

Hope you're right!

either that or the sellers are smart and play the market... they sit and drop prices very minimally wile people wait for a large price drop... when it doesn't come people start to accept that fact and simply buy at the inflated prices... once this starts to happen, they drastically drop prices and decrease stock for a few months and then let them naturally skyrocket... since bit mining is based off of pure cores and not how effective they are (as we all know), the 6xxx cards are going to be more effective than the 7xxx cards because new generation go for better efficiency with slightly more raw power on the high end, not brute force all the way through... the 6xxx card will jump to their premium and the 5xxx cards (because of their brute force style) will sell for even more... once this happens, sellers start to release their stock slowly (just like is happening with the 58xx cards right now)... naturally, the sellers make bank wile the buyers suffer, but that shouldn't stop miners from buying the cards (especially as BTC are more readily accepted)... if i had to guess, the price of a 5870 will jump to $300+ if they play the market well enough

this is just my take on the whole thing... any opinions on how this might work out? if you see any flaws in my analysis, please point them out as i like to know when i say something false so i can correct it the next time Smiley
Pipesnake
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 02:12:06 AM

I wouldn't pay more than $450 for one.
Then you'll never have one (well at least not until the 7 series comes out).

Ares is rock solid at 1ghz per core.  It's an animal.  Google reviews and you'll notice the reviewers jizzing in their pants over it's OC ability.  Is it financially worth it?

No.  But it is definitely the best you can get...

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2011, 08:52:04 AM

either that or the sellers are smart and play the market... they sit and drop prices very minimally wile people wait for a large price drop... when it doesn't come people start to accept that fact and simply buy at the inflated prices... once this starts to happen, they drastically drop prices and decrease stock for a few months and then let them naturally skyrocket... since bit mining is based off of pure cores and not how effective they are (as we all know), the 6xxx cards are going to be more effective than the 7xxx cards because new generation go for better efficiency with slightly more raw power on the high end, not brute force all the way through... the 6xxx card will jump to their premium and the 5xxx cards (because of their brute force style) will sell for even more... once this happens, sellers start to release their stock slowly (just like is happening with the 58xx cards right now)... naturally, the sellers make bank wile the buyers suffer, but that shouldn't stop miners from buying the cards (especially as BTC are more readily accepted)... if i had to guess, the price of a 5870 will jump to $300+ if they play the market well enough

this is just my take on the whole thing... any opinions on how this might work out? if you see any flaws in my analysis, please point them out as i like to know when i say something false so i can correct it the next time Smiley

umm this is all speculation right now, and you're most likely going to be wrong on the part that you said 7xxx cards will be more efficient, but less brute power than the 6xxx. the reason you see the 6xxx run faster than 5xxx cards per stream processor in games is because this generation jump does not have an architecture die shrink. both of these generations still run on 40nm die, so in order for a 6xxx card to be "better" than the 5xxx is to have more efficient stream processors, so that's why they can afford to have less of them. of course, this will hurt when they're used only for mining.

however, with the 7xxx cards, it's a complete architecture change, the die will be shrunk based on 28nm tech. with a die shrink, they will be able to fit more stream processors in the same amount of area as the current generations cards, and it will most likely also have some computing and power consumption efficiency improvements. the key here is a die shrink, so it will most likely have more stream processors than 6xxx, not less.

eskamobob1

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 02:56:08 PM

umm this is all speculation right now, and you're most likely going to be wrong on the part that you said 7xxx cards will be more efficient, but less brute power than the 6xxx. the reason you see the 6xxx run faster than 5xxx cards per stream processor in games is because this generation jump does not have an architecture die shrink. both of these generations still run on 40nm die, so in order for a 6xxx card to be "better" than the 5xxx is to have more efficient stream processors, so that's why they can afford to have less of them. of course, this will hurt when they're used only for mining.

however, with the 7xxx cards, it's a complete architecture change, the die will be shrunk based on 28nm tech. with a die shrink, they will be able to fit more stream processors in the same amount of area as the current generations cards, and it will most likely also have some computing and power consumption efficiency improvements. the key here is a die shrink, so it will most likely have more stream processors than 6xxx, not less.

tbh i just went off of the last few generation jumps... i dont know much about the 7xxx series as of right now... but this makes total sense... guess the second half of what i just said is now wrong :p... i think i may go and try to fix it later, but idk Tongue... thanks for the information though Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: