Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:24:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Masternodes HW/SW requirements ?  (Read 145 times)
gameboy366 (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 8

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 09:24:24 PM

Hello guys. I have some question about masternodes HW/SW requirements. Please help me out.

1. What hardware is recommend for running multiple masternodes. Some say that you can even run it on raspberry pi. Is that recommended ?

I was thinking of turning my old desktop into a cryptocurrency wallet and masternode machine.

2. Can you use that machine for doing something else too or do we just dedicate it completely for masternodes. Do you remove the monitor like in mining
    rig ?

3. Which OS is recommended

4. I see that you need a different IP for each masternode which could cost me $5/month per IP with vps. So is there any other option (free?).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eneloop
Legendary

Activity: 1513
Merit: 1040

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 11:39:56 PM

1. You can run several wallets on a RPi. It's depending on how RAM consuming the wallets are. You can also use an old desktop machine for this purpose but check the power consumption. Every kWh consumed because of old/inefficient hardware is a loss.

2. It's depending on how powerfull your machine is and how many wallets you want to run.

3. Any that is supported by the wallet(s). You have to be comfortable with it (e.g. compiling in linux is not that easy for me). If you are comfortable with windows 7/10, use it! Almost every coin offers a wallet version for windows.

4. There is no need for several fixed IPs you need one only. Even with 1 IP you can run several masternodes of the same coin (you have to use different ports).
gameboy366 (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 8

View Profile
April 06, 2018, 07:22:48 AM

1. You can run several wallets on a RPi. It's depending on how RAM consuming the wallets are. You can also use an old desktop machine for this purpose but check the power consumption. Every kWh consumed because of old/inefficient hardware is a loss.

2. It's depending on how powerfull your machine is and how many wallets you want to run.

3. Any that is supported by the wallet(s). You have to be comfortable with it (e.g. compiling in linux is not that easy for me). If you are comfortable with windows 7/10, use it! Almost every coin offers a wallet version for windows.

4. There is no need for several fixed IPs you need one only. Even with 1 IP you can run several masternodes of the same coin (you have to use different ports).
Thanks a lot for the answer. One last question please :

If I buy a VPN, I won't have to worry about masternodes bandwidth right ? (I don't know much about VPNs) as some say that masternodes will consume 100-500gb per month which is lot more for me. Does internet speed matters or is it like mining a rig(runs good on low speed but stable connection).
eneloop
Legendary

Activity: 1513
Merit: 1040

View Profile
April 08, 2018, 12:10:13 PM

Thanks a lot for the answer. One last question please :

If I buy a VPN, I won't have to worry about masternodes bandwidth right ? (I don't know much about VPNs) as some say that masternodes will consume 100-500gb per month which is lot more for me. Does internet speed matters or is it like mining a rig(runs good on low speed but stable connection).
It is more like mining. The used bandwidth is depending on the network activity: How many running masternodes/wallets are available in total and how many new wallets that have to sync from scratch.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: