Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 03:19:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gap limit setting missing in 1.9?  (Read 3777 times)
fireduck (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 03:57:37 AM

Unless I am just not seeing it, the gap limit option seems to not be there anymore in electrum 1.9 on windows.

Due to some silly that I'd rather not get into I need to restore a wallet with a gap limit of around 25.

I managed to work around by loading the wallet in 1.8.1, setting the gap limit and then loading it in 1.9 just fine.

Bitrated user: fireduck.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:26:52 PM

Yeah they removed it. Electrum's philosophy seems to be to keep things minimal. I suppose we should respect that. The alternative is Armory and I hear that can be a huge memory hog not to mention the blockchain!
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 04:33:07 PM

- Gap limit option has been removed, right?
it has been hidden. it was unnecessarily complicated for normal users, and it is not a good method for merchants.

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
xephyr

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 09:09:22 PM

it has been hidden. it was unnecessarily complicated for normal users, and it is not a good method for merchants.

Well, some merchants need to manually set the gap limit for Electrum to work with an external app. How do you set the gap limit in 1.9.4 in Windows?
fireduck (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 09:21:06 PM

hidden to well for me to find apparently.

xephyr

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 09:26:02 PM

Never take away an option from a program that people were using! Developer needs to address this ASAP, and tell us how to set gap limit where we need or restore the option in 1.9.4 interface please.
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 09:30:17 PM

I describe a way to do it in this post. I haven't tried it with the official precompiled windows builds, though.  But I guess it should work.

Edit: sorry can't seem to paste the link from my phone. Just check out my windows build thread for the post. Hope this helps
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 10:45:14 PM

ThomasV said that you run this in the electrum console:

wallet.accounts[0].create_new_address(0)

Then you restart the client and the new address will be displayed on the receive tab. The label next to the new address will be red though which is not something to worry about.

I guess you could run the above command in a loop, if you know python loops, to generate lots of new addresses.
xephyr

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 10:59:23 PM

I describe a way to do it in this post. I haven't tried it with the official precompiled windows builds, though.  But I guess it should work.

Edit: sorry can't seem to paste the link from my phone. Just check out my windows build thread for the post. Hope this helps

Hey thanks, here is the link to your post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=73651.msg3627894#msg3627894

Cannot get it to work with 1.9.4 portable though:(

Please put the option to adjust gap limit back in 1.9.4 or post instructions.
fireduck (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 11:50:14 PM

Hey thanks, here is the link to your post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=73651.msg3627894#msg3627894

Instructions:
Load wallet with 1.8.x and set the gap limit.  Exit.  Load in 1.9.x and you are fine.

xephyr

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 12:01:32 AM

Instructions:
Load wallet with 1.8.x and set the gap limit.  Exit.  Load in 1.9.x and you are fine.

Load what in 1.9.x?
fireduck (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 12:15:14 AM

Instructions:

Load what in 1.9.x?

The wallet in question.  The gap limit will be retained after setting it in 1.8 as far as I can tell.

xephyr

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 12:22:56 AM

Instructions:

Load what in 1.9.x?

The wallet in question.  The gap limit will be retained after setting it in 1.8 as far as I can tell.

No, the format for the wallet file changed from 1.8.1 to 1.9.4. Not interchangeable. Need the developer to chime in here. He said the setting for gap limit was hidden, just need to know how to uncover. Why do developers have to mess up something that was working fine?
thomas_s

Activity: 574

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 07:36:32 AM

I need this option in and the open 1.8.x reset the gap limit and reopen 1.9.x doesn't work, I really like 1.9.x but without the gap limit for my store plugin this just doesn't work well.

Did this really cause such a big problem with new people? I need to add another 500+ addresses so if anyone has a suggestion, my site created new addresses that aren't listed and they aren't showing up on the 1.9.x wallet (they do show up on the 1.8.x one)

*Edit
Went to file -> open and opened the 1.8.x wallet...this still isn't very convenient, I really like the electrum wallet but might have to switch to blockchain as this will more then likely not work in a future release.
btcven

Activity: 715

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 11:33:41 PM

I need this option in and the open 1.8.x reset the gap limit and reopen 1.9.x doesn't work, I really like 1.9.x but without the gap limit for my store plugin this just doesn't work well.

Did this really cause such a big problem with new people? I need to add another 500+ addresses so if anyone has a suggestion, my site created new addresses that aren't listed and they aren't showing up on the 1.9.x wallet (they do show up on the 1.8.x one)

*Edit
Went to file -> open and opened the 1.8.x wallet...this still isn't very convenient, I really like the electrum wallet but might have to switch to blockchain as this will more then likely not work in a future release.

if you need to change the gap limit in a 1.9.x wallet, you may do it in the python console.

For example, to set it to 10, by type:

Code:
wallet.storage.put('gap_limit',10)

then close the electrum client, and restart it

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
yxt
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 07:57:13 AM

I hope this come back to the GUI.

BTCKano Pool██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██
██
██
██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
adamas
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1003

VIS ET LIBERTAS

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 11:21:25 AM

I hope this come back to the GUI.
  v 1.9.6 gap limit option?

"Es ist kein Zeichen geistiger Gesundheit, gut angepasst an eine kranke Gesellschaft zu sein."
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 11:47:46 AM

There is a cmd line option but in my testing it made no difference. That is, starting with -G 10 still didn't behave as if gap limit is 10 and see new addresses used.

If this would work it would probably be good enough as users could simply alter the menu/icon start cmd to have this option set.

However, I did find that if your add a 'gap_limit': 10 at top level in the wallet file then it does behave correctly and respect new addresses. ie. red addresses become normal.

adamas
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1003

VIS ET LIBERTAS

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 12:00:10 PM

However, I did find that if your add a 'gap_limit': 10 at top level in the wallet file then it does behave correctly and respect new addresses. ie. red addresses become normal.
Doesn't work for me. Where exactly do you have to place it?

"Es ist kein Zeichen geistiger Gesundheit, gut angepasst an eine kranke Gesellschaft zu sein."
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 12:02:12 PM

Doesn't work for me. Where exactly do you have to place it?
I placed it immediately before the seed version. eg.

'imported_keys': {}, 'seed_version': 6}

becomes,

'imported_keys': {}, 'gap_limit': 10, 'seed_version': 6}

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: