Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 09:51:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When Will India Explode?  (Read 6437 times)
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 08:28:18 PM

I thought this was going to be a nuclear topic.

Yeah, I was like, "When Pakistan gets nukes, most likely."

<ot>
Pakistan has been a nuclear power for a while. They have an estimated 100-120 nuclear warheads currently.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_states_with_nuclear_weapons
</ot>

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Dansker

Activity: 740
Merit: 500

Hello world!

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 08:39:12 PM

Too hot weather for them to mine, think of the cooling issues...

antimattercrusader

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 08:42:40 PM

if only i could find a way to directly extract *usable* energy from heat, thus creating cool.. and energy.. well then money wouldn't be a problem.

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 08:46:45 PM

1. A lot of Indians are starting to get wealthy.  Also, many Indians in the US send money home and the situation isn't that great.  Sometimes the money doesn't make it for various reasons or the fees are very high.

2. And the Indians bought more gold than any other country, so now that gold imports are regulated, they need somewhere else to put their money that the government can't regulate.

3. A lot of Indians work in high-tech jobs, so the understanding of computers and encryption won't be a big turnoff for them.

So I think that India is ripe for bitcoin.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Damnsammit

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 08:55:24 PM

3. A lot of Indians work in high-tech jobs, so the understanding of computers and encryption won't be a big turnoff for them.

IT Customer Service isn't exactly "high-tech" Tongue
antimattercrusader

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:03:16 PM

No, but coding and software development is.

BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 02:56:55 AM

High tech enough to have a PC at home and understand how to use it.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
antimattercrusader

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 03:07:00 AM

High tech enough to have a PC at home and understand how to use it.

1st of all, nice name. 2nd, yes. And develop software. I've hired several decent software developers on guru.com from India. Plus with my day job, I work with a girl from India and find her to be quite technically competent. They're better at technology than help desk support. 'nuff said.

BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 03:07:05 AM

With the Chinese driving the bitcoin market at breakneck speeds now, I'm kind of wondering when India will "jump on board".

Does anyone know much about the Indian market and have any thoughts on what is happening or will happen there?

I work with some companies in India who provide pharmaceuticals around the world.   I have repeatedly requested that they get on board with Bitcoin because I have to wire them monthly, with $40+ in fees.  The responses I have gotten from them have been strange and frustrating.  First they said this to me:

"pls click on the link, i am been trying different banks but as of now bitcoins are not allowed in india.
If there is any positive response i will let you know.
http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2013-08-14/news/41409715_1_bitcoin-gox-virtual-currency"

I replied to him that there are exchanges he might be able to use which allow it conversion to fiat.  He replied:

"Here in india we are banned from using bitcoins for pharma exports. If we are found using bitcoins we will be banned forever ."

Made it sound like Bitcoin was known, and has already been completely restricted by Indian authorities.  I told him his information must not be correct.  He replied:

"I cant take cash out bitcoin for pharma exports. what will i get by telling a lie to you, i will loose business which i never want to do.
i will check again from a different state."

I asked him to check again (lol) ... he wrote back:

"https://buysellbitco.in/
I got a company who deals in bitcoins and it is working in india.
The charges are too high and it will not work out for me. They charge 50$ for a transaction of 7 bitcoins which is equal to 3000$.
Why cant you use western union or money gram instead?"

So either people in India are trying to scam bitcoin users or ... i dont know whats going on there.  Restrictions, excessive fees?  All seems completely backwards to what Bitcoin is all about.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
antimattercrusader

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 03:15:43 AM

Sounds like horse shit to me. But I don't know for sure. Perhaps I am missing something, but couldn't an exchange do an international wire into an Indian bank account, even with a "lack" of Indian exchanges?  (Looks alot like https://buysellbitco.in is an exchange tho....)

In anycase, check out this Wall Street Journal article:

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2013/10/10/one-result-of-the-feds-tapering-plan-surging-bitcoin-downloads-in-india/

Together, Brazil and India posted the greatest growth in digital currency downloads among the 30 countries with the most bitcoin downloads of all time. Across the globe, bitcoin downloads are still increasing, but at a slower rate–in the U.S., downloads of the digital currency increased 7.82% in the third quarter, compared with a 9.8% average for the 30 countries.

BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 03:29:31 AM

My whole point to him was:  "How does the bank know what you are doing anyways?  All they see are cash in cash out.  Sure, its to a bitcoin exchange, but that doesn't implicate what you are being paid for, specifically at all"

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
antimattercrusader

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 03:32:04 AM

Indeed.

Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 04:31:11 AM

With the Chinese driving the bitcoin market at breakneck speeds now, I'm kind of wondering when India will "jump on board".

Does anyone know much about the Indian market and have any thoughts on what is happening or will happen there?
I bet the reason you think of India because of its population is second to China, so the effect would be the same huh?
No, that's not the issue. The issue is that India, like China, has exchange controls on money. A legal way around those exchange controls is valuable.

Until 2012, India didn't tax gold imports. Now they do, at 10%. Hence gold smuggling. India has been tightening up their exchange controls lately, so if Bitcoin starts being used as a way to convert rupees to something more useful outside India, there will probably be Bitcoin controls.

China, on the other hand, is loosening their exchange controls. The economy in China is so strong they don't really need them.
RenegadeMind (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 1380
Merit: 504

THINK IT, BUILD IT, PLAY IT! --- XAYA

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 06:48:59 AM

1. A lot of Indians are starting to get wealthy.  Also, many Indians in the US send money home and the situation isn't that great.  Sometimes the money doesn't make it for various reasons or the fees are very high.

2. And the Indians bought more gold than any other country, so now that gold imports are regulated, they need somewhere else to put their money that the government can't regulate.

So I think that India is ripe for bitcoin.

Those were some of my suspicions. I'm not well acquainted with the Indian market though, but it seems like bitcoins are a fantastic fit for it.

Notanon

Activity: 388

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 08:33:41 AM

I imagine quite a few Indians wanting to send money back to their families in India from Australia would see the benefit in using Bitcoin as a lower fee means of transmitting it.
vandeam

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 09:25:09 AM

Wonder the traffic https://buysellbitco.in/ recieves.

http://www.trafficestimate.com/buysellbitco.in

xDan

Activity: 688
Merit: 500

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 11:17:15 AM

...stuffs...

JCM Pharmacy take Bitcoin, not sure where they are based but they ship from India at least.

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
MaxBTC1

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 11:26:33 AM

I was asking myself this exact question the other day.

Their interest will be proportional with their wealth, however in India you are either very rich or very poor - currently the very rich are not buying bitcoin.  But that will soon change, if and when we hit < $1000 p/btc.  

Its important to remember that India has a population of 1.2bn...just a small increase in publicity and btc could really get big over there.
RenegadeMind (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 1380
Merit: 504

THINK IT, BUILD IT, PLAY IT! --- XAYA

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 11:59:39 AM

Its important to remember that India has a population of 1.2bn...just a small increase in publicity and btc could really get big over there.

That's the thing. With so many people, a bit of bitcoin publicity could spark a massive upsurge in adoption. 1.2 billion people is simply massive.

A better local exchange might help, but I don't know enough about their banking system to comment on what would make buying easier for people there.

btc_enigma

Activity: 688
Merit: 567

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 08:05:34 PM

Still long way to go. Seems like due to some restrictions put by Indian government , we still don't have a proper btc exchange website. (People are still doing p2p trading). Volumes are probably less than 10BTC a day.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: