Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 02:21:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Silk Road 2.0 bad news for Bitcoin?  (Read 3324 times)
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 10:21:01 PM
Last edit: November 07, 2013, 10:33:26 PM by Anon136

So how many of you have written your representative about bitcoin? I would suggest that your efforts writing them will yield more fruit than posting here. The regulations that evolve around bitcoin will reflect your inaction, not the tyranny of government.

quoting this for its obvious importance.

The time for silence has ended. Please contact your legislators now. This is nothing short of a shot across Bitcoin's bow.

yea and by not dressing up in spandex and fighting crime im practically raping woman in dark allies myself Roll Eyes

yea no thanks, instead of getting on my knees and "pleading" with the tyrants to not violate my rights, i think ill dedicate my effort towards learning to program better so maybe i can help to make this sort of technology more resistant to attacks. or you know one of 1000 other things that might actually be useful instead of deluding yourself into believing "congressman" gives 1/10,000th of shit about your preferences.

"call your congressmen", so pathetic. oh lawdie please dont beat me so hard massa. grow some balls, asking someone for permission to have some of your rights is just another way of giving your rights away.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Ford

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 11:48:42 PM

I have few objections against drugs being sold or used, not that i am a (heavy) drug user....
(i also think the laws and drug wars are getting it wrong, but that's another issue)

I do however think it is very bad for bitcoin owing to the "gutter press" that like to blame bitcoin for drug use.... and they seem to totally ignore that many more drugs are brought with Dollars, Pounds & Other currencies than have ever (and maybe will ever) be bought with Bitcoins.....

Personally, i also think, that if the only place someone can buy drugs from is via an overprice hidden website, these people should not be taking drugs anyway.... If they "get a life" they would find that drugs are widely available in almost all countries and at a much better price that via hidden websites.... and with much less risk... (no dealer has ever asked me for my address (or to publish it to a website, that i have no control over), and if they did, i would find a better dealer!)

"DPR/new DPR" says that the site is about freedom... hahaha.....NO.... it is about making money for "DPR".. and it is only a matter of time before the "new DPR" is caught.... and over punished....
I may admire "DPR's" spirit but his business sense is lacking as opening a hidden site to sell drugs is as good as painting a big target on his back (saying Drug Dealer Here! Come and find me!). The FBI (and other agencies) will already be working on finding him/her/them....

People should stay safe and buy drugs in the tried and tested, old fashioned way, what has worked for 1000's of years.

djalexr

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 11:59:50 PM

. If they "get a life" they would find that drugs are widely available in almost all countries and at a much better price that via hidden websites.... and with much less risk...

everyone I know that used it thought it was more a question of QUALITY rather than price...yeah we can pick all that stuff up on the street, but quality varied quite a lot, whereas with silkroad it was consistently good (So, although more expensive it was worth it a lot of the time).

Ford

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 12:16:55 AM

. If they "get a life" they would find that drugs are widely available in almost all countries and at a much better price that via hidden websites.... and with much less risk...

everyone I know that used it thought it was more a question of QUALITY rather than price...yeah we can pick all that stuff up on the street, but quality varied quite a lot, whereas with silkroad it was consistently good (So, although more expensive it was worth it a lot of the time).

I must admit that some of the resin that was sold did look nice... the Nepalese Tempale Balls were tempting, but still over priced. However if you ask around (if you know the right/wrong people) i would think most things can be bought on the street too.

canadian_bitcoin

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 10:32:41 PM

The US based bitcoiners will be gutted in favor of Chinese, exactly what happened to auction market places like E-Bay.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 10:41:29 PM

This reminds me of the piratebay, if the U.S government can't even stop a fairly innocent filesharing site how the hell do they think they're going to stop a fully fledged international drug trading website that now knows the U.S government really is out to get it and will take measures against any attempts to seize the website. You can bet that there will be all kind of encryption put on the thing along with some lessons learned from Kim Dotcom about where to host your domains.
mel2000

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 10:51:41 PM

Not to mention the decreased risk of getting mugged or having your car impounded.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1042

Death to enemies!

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 03:38:30 AM

They must admit defeat and leave drugs, internet and bitcoin alone. In whack-a-mole game moles always win. And all those senators must shoot themselves because all their actions of banning, regulation and ruining other peoples life's turned out to be a total failure!
[spoiler][/spoiler]

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 05:06:31 AM

i think it proves that shutting down a site like SR makes no sense, since they'll eventually pop back up.

i don't know if bitcoin being forever attached to illegal drug trade mean good or bad news? on one hand, it gives government more of a plausible excuse to crack down on it, but on the other hand.. it means there will always be demand for BTC.
cooldgamer
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

We are the champions of the night

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 05:26:39 AM

Bitcoin isn't any more attached to illegal drugs than USD is, it's just a currency, and people are inevitably going to use a currency for illegal things.  The only reason it's such a big deal is because the government is using it as an excuse to attack Bitcoin without admitting that they're afraid of it.

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 05:36:43 AM

Silkroad 2.0, yeah nice FBI honeypot. Good luck with using that.  Cheesy

beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 06:21:26 AM

Bitcoin isn't any more attached to illegal drugs than USD is, it's just a currency, and people are inevitably going to use a currency for illegal things.  The only reason it's such a big deal is because the government is using it as an excuse to attack Bitcoin without admitting that they're afraid of it.

but that doesn't matter. i'm not disagreeing with you.. but a lot of people think of bitcoin being synonymous of illegal goods and services.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 06:58:18 AM

Silkroad 2.0, yeah nice FBI honeypot. Good luck with using that.  Cheesy

thats my thinking. i read somewhere that some of the core developers from silk road 1 would be building it. wouldn't dpr be able to finger those people? it seems like it wouldnt be very smart of them to get back into the business unless of course they were returning as double agents.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 08:28:01 AM

Explain...so WoW gold is also not virtual? Btc are just zero's and ones, nothing more, nothing less.
So is the U.S. Dollar.

USD, WoW-gold, BTC, it's all equally digital and virtual.

It's the backing behind it that makes the difference.

USD: greedy banks and corrupt government
WoW-gold: some game company
BTC: mathematical laws and the power of cryptography

I'll take my chances with Bitcoin.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: