Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:39:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Safest Wallet  (Read 7611 times)
Twipple (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 06:56:04 PM

Hey everyone, I've heard a lot of speculation recently about which wallet to use and whether it's best to use an online wallet or a static software wallet hosted on my personal computer.

I want to keep my coins as safe as the next person and would like you to voice your opinion on what you think is best to use and for which reasons. Any help is more than appreciated, apologies in advance if this thread has already been created (I have searched beforehand).

Kindest regards,
- Twipple
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Magazine

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 06:57:31 PM

Read up about Armory cold storage, safest method!
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 06:59:14 PM

The consensus seems to be Bitcoin-QT wallet and paper wallets.  

Long-time trusted exchanges would be the next safest (but beware of people having trouble getting things out of Mt. Gox).

And don't use fly-by-night online wallets by small developers (such as Inputs.IO), as these are almost always "hacked" eventually.  (Who knows if they just take all the coins?)

And whatever you do, don't make a "brain wallet".

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
moderate

Activity: 98

nearly dead

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 07:00:22 PM

Rely on the least amount of software possible to generate your paper wallets. Do not rely on less than necessary software because that would coincide with broken or wrongly implemented crypto algorithms.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 07:01:24 PM

Read up about Armory cold storage, safest method!
Yes.

The consensus seems to be Bitcoin-QT wallet
No.

Bitcoin-Qt has numerous problems, such as random key generation which invalidates your backups after every 100 transactions, and no support for cold storage. Every time you spend your bitcoins with Bitcoin-Qt you potentially expose your private keys to malware on your PC.
birkomester

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 07:05:45 PM

Armory + paper wallet
moderate

nearly dead

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 07:10:26 PM

Bitcoin-Qt has numerous problems, such as random key generation which invalidates your backups after every 100 transactions, and no support for cold storage. Every time you spend your bitcoins with Bitcoin-Qt you potentially expose your private keys to malware on your PC.

I'm very sure there is support for cold storage wen using bitcoin-qt, and you don't need the -qt at all. I take that you know about raw transactions, signing, and so on ?
Barek

Activity: 168

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 07:17:16 PM

Armory!

It actually runs Bitcoin-Qt in the background and adds a whole bunch of extra security features.

http://bitcoinarmory.com/about/using-our-wallet/
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 07:23:10 PM

I'm very sure there is support for cold storage wen using bitcoin-qt, and you don't need the -qt at all. I take that you know about raw transactions, signing, and so on ?
Raw transactions are the last thing anyone should be recommending to non-experts.

As far as regular users are concerned, Bitcoin-Qt doesn't support offline transactions.
Rluner

Activity: 126

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 07:34:43 PM

Once installed the Armory warns users it is a Beta version and will not guarantee lost coins due to software failure.
agent13

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 08:00:16 PM

Does Armory sit on top of Bitcoind (ie RPC), or does Armory include a re-write of the Bitcoin crypto fundamentals?

Are there any concerns with Armory primarily being developed by a single person?
(A)social

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 08:02:37 PM

Someone forgot this...

BTC: 1ASociaLbBZzBUR8hSw8CryajncADsR1m6 - Bitmessage: BM-orfFdAgAmtnBokTivq3vj1RtSVtXbrftM
OpenBazaar Store: https://openbazaar.com/store/QmeCThm8d5zcat7BjGw4SQeovaC5diF9s4b2yTSHWdpzmb
dalston5000

Activity: 35

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 08:05:50 PM

such as random key generation which invalidates your backups after every 100 transactions,

please explain.
moderate

nearly dead

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 08:15:27 PM

such as random key generation which invalidates your backups after every 100 transactions,

please explain.

I expect he is talking about the key pool, which by default is set to 100. After you have you used 100 addresses, another 100 are generated and then you need a new backup to keep up with these new addresses. This default value can be configured, and can be set to values much higher than that. This is not a issue at all as people should be making backups much more often than that.
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 08:15:59 PM

please explain.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Change

Bitcoin-Qt generates 100 addresses at a time and stores them in wallet.dat. After you've performed 100 interactions (spend or receipts of coins), it generates a new batch.

When this happens, your old wallet.dat backup is no longer sufficient because it does not contain the new keys.

Deterministic wallets, such as Armory, do not have this problem.

This is not a issue at all as people should be making backups much more often than that.
Please tell me you don't have anything to do with software development. Your ideas on end-user usability are a danger to yourself and others.
dalston5000

Activity: 35

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 08:32:03 PM

please explain.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Change

Bitcoin-Qt generates 100 addresses at a time and stores them in wallet.dat. After you've performed 100 interactions (spend or receipts of coins), it generates a new batch.

When this happens, your old wallet.dat backup is no longer sufficient because it does not contain the new keys.

Deterministic wallets, such as Armory, do not have this problem.

This is not a issue at all as people should be making backups much more often than that.
Please tell me you don't have anything to do with software development. Your ideas on end-user usability are a danger to yourself and others.

ah, I see..

Well I make a weekly backup of the .dat file anyway
moderate

nearly dead

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 08:49:52 PM

Can you keep your baseless opinions to yourself ?

So you think Armory is user friendly ? This is a brand new category of user friendliness to me, as it requires more than 8gb of ram to run, older and not so cheap computers that can be used for actual safe cold storage are immediately ruled out. Can you be clear why you think I'm a danger to myself ? Making backups more often is bad ? Oh dear. Do you create keys for cold storage in online computers ? Oh dear.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 08:53:00 PM

Paranoid mode On: Bitcoin-QT password protected wallet in Linux on a TrueCrypt partition

moderate

nearly dead

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:08:34 PM

Paranoid mode On: Bitcoin-QT password protected wallet in Linux on a TrueCrypt partition

That is not paranoid at all, it should be the default operation mode for all the bitcoin users. Encrypting the wallet is the basic stuff and a must. Truecrypt partition complements that well, good reminder.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 09:13:33 PM

That is not paranoid at all, it should be the default operation mode for all the bitcoin users. Encrypting the wallet is the basic stuff and a must. Truecrypt partition complements that well, good reminder.

Ok, so what is paranoid mode then? For true security maniacs?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: