Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:55:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MyBitcoin stole 2 bitcoins from me  (Read 3710 times)
hank

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 11:01:22 PM

Also having trouble with MyBitcoin...

Transfer was confirmed on their website, but no trace in block explorer. Even stranger is that the incoming transfer from another mybitcoin user with which I funded the outgoing transfer is not present in block explorer either! It seems I never had the money I never received.  Huh

Now the mybitcoin site is down and I'm wondering if I will ever see that currency again.

Maybe (hopefully) they took the site down after noticing these problems and the outstanding transfers will be initiated when (if) it comes back online.

This is a huge headache.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
strigona

Activity: 21

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 11:25:39 PM

Why is Mybitcoin.com advertised all over the place like they are some sort of reliable bitcoin service? I sent them a little over 2 Bitcoins and they appeared in my account very fast. I then withdrew them from Mybitcoin.com and sent them somewhere else only to find they never got there. I tried using their internal messaging system and no reply. It has been almost 24 hours and my Bitcoins are still missing. The balance on Mybitcoin.com is back to 0 and the transfer history shows they were sent, however, the address I sent them to does not appear in the block explorer. I am sure they were never sent and Mybitcoin.com has my balance at zero. I ask again: Why is Mybitcoin.com treated as a legitimate business? Once this happened I searched for info about this company and all I found was several people saying they were robbed too. Mybitcoin.com deserves to get sued and the Bitcoin community needs to blacklist them publicly so newbies don't get discouraged after being robbed.

I know it's been several hours since this thread was started but... it can take some time for transactions to be processed and appear in Block Explorer and your wallet. If you haven't downloaded all of the blocks on your computer then you won't be able to see your incoming transaction. You have not provided us with the address that you sent your bitcoins to and have left us no way of verifying your claim.

I'm just covering some of the basics and I'm not defending MyBitcoin at all. I just checked and their site is down, who knows why or when it'll be up.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2011, 11:28:09 PM

If you initiate a transaction, wait a few hours, and the transaction doesn't appear in block explorer, then the coins weren't sent. Placing a transaction in the public hash chain is essentially the definition of "sent" in this context.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2011, 11:31:24 PM

...Even stranger is that the incoming transfer from another mybitcoin user with which I funded the outgoing transfer is not present in block explorer either! It seems I never had the money I never received.  Huh...

This particular detail is consistent with how it is advertised.  MyBitcoin-to-MyBitcoin transfers are done on MyBitcoin's records and not on the block chain.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
hank

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 12:05:45 AM

...Even stranger is that the incoming transfer from another mybitcoin user with which I funded the outgoing transfer is not present in block explorer either! It seems I never had the money I never received.  Huh...

This particular detail is consistent with how it is advertised.  MyBitcoin-to-MyBitcoin transfers are done on MyBitcoin's records and not on the block chain.

That's good to know, especially when searching block explorer - coins involved in a transfer might come from some other address.
hank

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 12:10:18 AM

If you initiate a transaction, wait a few hours, and the transaction doesn't appear in block explorer, then the coins weren't sent. Placing a transaction in the public hash chain is essentially the definition of "sent" in this context.

Exactly, for Mt. Fun and I MyBitcoin is deducting funds from our accounts but not initiating a transaction to the recipient.
Ryuguy

Activity: 40

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 12:45:04 AM

Good to know. Thank you!
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 01:42:05 AM

The site does appear to be down.
Mt.Fun (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 01:59:36 AM

Exactly, for Mt. Fun and I MyBitcoin is deducting funds from our accounts but not initiating a transaction to the recipient.

Exactly correct. The funds sent appear in the block explorer and arrived in Mybitcoin. Then I sent them from Mybitcoin to another wallet and they never got there and the transaction is not in the block explorer but Mybitcoin records the payment as sent.

[  EOT  ]      FIRST DECENTRALIZED GAME NETWORK        [  EOT  ]
ICO: JULY 25
        │        READ OUR WHITEPAPER
████████││   REDDIT   ││   TELEGRAM   ││   TWITTER   ││   MEDIUM   ││   WEBSITE   ││████████
Mt.Fun (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 02:03:02 AM

Dude, terrible picture by the way. Not trying to be offensive; I just don't like looking at that face on my computer.

████████││   REDDIT   ││   TELEGRAM   ││   TWITTER   ││   MEDIUM   ││   WEBSITE   ││████████
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 03:25:06 AM

Dude, terrible picture by the way. Not trying to be offensive; I just don't like looking at that face on my computer.
AdBlock+, right click, block image.

Anyways, stick on-topic.
PM's work amazingly.

heliosxx

Activity: 15

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 03:44:52 PM

It's been nearly a month since they stole one from me, I stopped using them the next week after several messages to them and no response. I've been back to see if the coin showed up, or a response given. Neither have happened. (FYI it's a payout from Slush, shows in coinexplorer, with correct wallet, doesn't show in account). 
Now it looks like the site is down.  I believe the site has decayed due to negligence, rather than outright scam, but it seems like there's no point in doing business with them anymore.
Optonic

Activity: 31

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2011, 04:03:30 PM

Until today I had no problems when using MyBitcoin. Sending and receiving BTC worked out the way it should. What I am trying to say: maybe it was just a bug, not a scam. Not answering to support requests–which you said they haven't–is a sad thing nevertheless. At the very moment it appears the site is down for some reason but I guess it'll be up in a few <insert-guess-here>.
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 04:18:06 PM

Did they have a terms and condition on their site? Did they give their business address? A quick look a google cache seems to show nothing like that. Why would anyone trust such a site?
rampa

Activity: 108

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2011, 04:44:00 PM

Until today I had no problems when using MyBitcoin. Sending and receiving BTC worked out the way it should. What I am trying to say: maybe it was just a bug, not a scam. Not answering to support requests–which you said they haven't–is a sad thing nevertheless. At the very moment it appears the site is down for some reason but I guess it'll be up in a few <insert-guess-here>.

yes. two weeks ago they had a problem with all the passwords and also nobody told nothing to the users.

i hope the come back online, as (as far as i know) there is no other payment gateway....

Scrypt merged mining + multipool! http://manicminer.in
Optonic

Activity: 31

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2011, 04:59:16 PM

yes. two weeks ago they had a problem with all the passwords and also nobody told nothing to the users.
Haven't heard of this problem. What was it exactly about?

rampa

Activity: 108

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2011, 06:16:38 PM

Haven't heard of this problem. What was it exactly about?

last month, (after the mtgox incident) on a weekend)

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=25652.msg319047#msg319047

on monday, all was fine....

Scrypt merged mining + multipool! http://manicminer.in
hank

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 10:30:34 PM

I tried to call the phone number listed in mybitcoin.com's whois file and found out it's disconnected.
incraft3817

Activity: 87

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 01:11:58 AM

Why is Mybitcoin.com advertised all over the place like they are some sort of reliable bitcoin service? I sent them a little over 2 Bitcoins and they appeared in my account very fast. I then withdrew them from Mybitcoin.com and sent them somewhere else only to find they never got there. I tried using their internal messaging system and no reply. It has been almost 24 hours and my Bitcoins are still missing. The balance on Mybitcoin.com is back to 0 and the transfer history shows they were sent, however, the address I sent them to does not appear in the block explorer. I am sure they were never sent and Mybitcoin.com has my balance at zero. I ask again: Why is Mybitcoin.com treated as a legitimate business? Once this happened I searched for info about this company and all I found was several people saying they were robbed too. Mybitcoin.com deserves to get sued and the Bitcoin community needs to blacklist them publicly so newbies don't get discouraged after being robbed.

Strange. i am using mybitcoin as a payment gateway and had no problem with them.

the address I sent them to does not appear in the block explorer

was it a valid address?

Mybitcoin doesnt send to invalid address.
Mt.Fun (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 02:28:19 AM

I tried to call the phone number listed in mybitcoin.com's whois file and found out it's disconnected.

They absconded with our Bitcoins. Cry The pain and suffering introduced into the world by Mybitcoin.com will be returned to Tom Williams-operator of Mybitcoin.com-by God. We will be avenged seven fold.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: