Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:46:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MyBitcoin stole 2 bitcoins from me  (Read 3702 times)
Mt.Fun (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 03:08:30 PM

Why is Mybitcoin.com advertised all over the place like they are some sort of reliable bitcoin service? I sent them a little over 2 Bitcoins and they appeared in my account very fast. I then withdrew them from Mybitcoin.com and sent them somewhere else only to find they never got there. I tried using their internal messaging system and no reply. It has been almost 24 hours and my Bitcoins are still missing. The balance on Mybitcoin.com is back to 0 and the transfer history shows they were sent, however, the address I sent them to does not appear in the block explorer. I am sure they were never sent and Mybitcoin.com has my balance at zero. I ask again: Why is Mybitcoin.com treated as a legitimate business? Once this happened I searched for info about this company and all I found was several people saying they were robbed too. Mybitcoin.com deserves to get sued and the Bitcoin community needs to blacklist them publicly so newbies don't get discouraged after being robbed.

[  EOT  ]      FIRST DECENTRALIZED GAME NETWORK        [  EOT  ]
ICO: JULY 25
        │        READ OUR WHITEPAPER
████████││   REDDIT   ││   TELEGRAM   ││   TWITTER   ││   MEDIUM   ││   WEBSITE   ││████████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rampa

Activity: 108

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2011, 03:29:15 PM

Why is Mybitcoin.com advertised all over the place like they are some sort of reliable bitcoin service? I sent them a little over 2 Bitcoins and they appeared in my account very fast. I then withdrew them from Mybitcoin.com and sent them somewhere else only to find they never got there. I tried using their internal messaging system and no reply. It has been almost 24 hours and my Bitcoins are still missing. The balance on Mybitcoin.com is back to 0 and the transfer history shows they were sent, however, the address I sent them to does not appear in the block explorer. I am sure they were never sent and Mybitcoin.com has my balance at zero. I ask again: Why is Mybitcoin.com treated as a legitimate business? Once this happened I searched for info about this company and all I found was several people saying they were robbed too. Mybitcoin.com deserves to get sued and the Bitcoin community needs to blacklist them publicly so newbies don't get discouraged after being robbed.

Strange. i am using mybitcoin as a payment gateway and had no problem with them.

the address I sent them to does not appear in the block explorer

was it a valid address?

Scrypt merged mining + multipool! http://manicminer.in
Mt.Fun (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 03:38:22 PM

Strange. i am using mybitcoin as a payment gateway and had no problem with them.

the address I sent them to does not appear in the block explorer

was it a valid address?

So you have sent Bitcoins from Mybitcoin.com to a local wallet successfully?

It was a previously used address but as far as I can tell those addresses are valid forever, right? If it were invalid would the Bitcoins return to Mybitcoin.com?

████████││   REDDIT   ││   TELEGRAM   ││   TWITTER   ││   MEDIUM   ││   WEBSITE   ││████████
rampa

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2011, 04:05:52 PM

So you have sent Bitcoins from Mybitcoin.com to a local wallet successfully?

every day! :-) i got payments on mybitcoin and send them to my local wallet. also sometimes paying directly from mybitcoin for goods or services.

It was a previously used address but as far as I can tell those addresses are valid forever, right? If it were invalid would the Bitcoins return to Mybitcoin.com?

i think they last forever.... but the strange is it is not showed in blockexplorer. dont know what happens if you send btc to an invalid address...

Mt.Fun (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 04:15:11 PM

very depressing as that was my first mt. gox transaction. spent $30 and I can't justify losing money to bitcoin. seriously considering forgetting about bitcoin entirely.

rampa

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2011, 04:37:03 PM

very depressing as that was my first mt. gox transaction. spent $30 and I can't justify losing money to bitcoin. seriously considering forgetting about bitcoin entirely.

consider starting a new thread asking what happens if somebody send btc to an invalid address.... may be somebody can give light about this. may be the transfer will return, but i dint know....

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 04:46:40 PM

Mybitcoin is a scam.  I have no idea why anyone would still endorse them as a legitimate service after how many people I have seen losing BTC through it.  I refuse to use it, and I will refuse to pay any website through it.  I hope others do the same, and help get the word out about how mybitcoin is a scam.

http://bitcoinfeedback.com/viewuser.php?un=MyBitcoin%20LLC&id=195
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 04:47:28 PM

What's the address? Just check it on http://blockexplorer.com/. Maybe there is a problem with your bitcoin client.
nefanon

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 04:53:22 PM

Mybitcoin is a scam.  I have no idea why anyone would still endorse them as a legitimate service after how many people I have seen losing BTC through it.  I refuse to use it, and I will refuse to pay any website through it.  I hope others do the same, and help get the word out about how mybitcoin is a scam.

http://bitcoinfeedback.com/viewuser.php?un=MyBitcoin%20LLC&id=195

Wow, that's really disturbing. One of the 1st things I did was sign up for MyBitcoin because I thought I saw it on a "beginner's guide". I'll have to inform whomever wrote it to remove it!
Mt.Fun (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 04:58:51 PM

What's the address? Just check it on http://blockexplorer.com/. Maybe there is a problem with your bitcoin client.

Doesn't appear on blockexplorer. Leads me to believe it was never sent and mybitcoin just kept the BTC and set my balance to 0.

Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 05:02:44 PM

consider starting a new thread asking what happens if somebody send btc to an invalid address.... may be somebody can give light about this. may be the transfer will return, but i dint know....

It's lost permanently if the address is valid but non-existent. If invalid, the client won't even send it out I believe.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 05:31:00 PM

Doesn't appear on blockexplorer. Leads me to believe it was never sent and mybitcoin just kept the BTC and set my balance to 0.
If it's not on blockexplorer, then it wasn't sent.  Sounds like you were scammed...  Cry  I don't believe anyone has ever been successful in contacting anyone involved in the site.
Lord T

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 05:52:08 PM

It's lost permanently if the address is valid but non-existent. If invalid, the client won't even send it out I believe.

Interesting. Won't it just wait until the wallet comes back online. In the case of someone sending to a valid address not yet created would it not suddenly gain that amount when it was created?

I thought it's a bit like a text message. Waits till it turns on then sends it.

If not people need to leave their wallets on all the time and we know that isn't true. So maybe if there was a time limit of X days/weeks/months?
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 05:57:29 PM

Interesting. Won't it just wait until the wallet comes back online. In the case of someone sending to a valid address not yet created would it not suddenly gain that amount when it was created?

If not people need to leave their wallets on all the time and we know that isn't true. So maybe if there was a time limit of X days/weeks/months?
You are getting confused.

You can send to a bitcoin address that is in no one's wallet, which is what Xephan was referring to.  In this case, the bitcoins are effectively lost (it would take billions of years to accidentally stumble on the private key related to that bitcoin address).
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 05:59:06 PM

I suggest staying away from mybitcoin. As I speak, their page doesnt even load...

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
Lord T

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 06:11:14 PM

You are getting confused.

You can send to a bitcoin address that is in no one's wallet, which is what Xephan was referring to.  In this case, the bitcoins are effectively lost (it would take billions of years to accidentally stumble on the private key related to that bitcoin address).

Makes sense. If it does not exist the key has not yet been created so it should be detected at send. So it should not send to an invalid address. Does it though?

If it was valid but the wallet was offline, it would have a valid key and be sent. Wouldn't it then wait till the wallet was online?

If not I need to leave my wallet online all the time to wait for the millions I am being sent. That doesn't sound right.
Xephan

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 06:56:22 PM

Makes sense. If it does not exist the key has not yet been created so it should be detected at send. So it should not send to an invalid address. Does it though?

An invalid address is not the same as a non-existent address Cheesy
Something like this "mywalletaddress" would be invalid and non-existent
Something that looks like this "186q9YUW3x8TVHC5aYBEqgZZYMxft8Cw9f" may be valid but non-existent.

If it was valid but the wallet was offline, it would have a valid key and be sent. Wouldn't it then wait till the wallet was online?

If not I need to leave my wallet online all the time to wait for the millions I am being sent. That doesn't sound right.

No, all transactions are pushed into the network and recorded in the blocks regardless of whether the address is online. When you bring your wallet online, it will scan the newer blocks for addresses that you are using, then update itself accordingly.

So in theory somebody could fire up their wallet 50 years from now and immediately receive some bitcoins from a mistaken transaction done today.
dayfall

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 07:20:54 PM

Does it show up in http://bitcoincharts.com/bitcoin/?
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2011, 08:23:25 PM

If the destination address has been used before, shouldn't it show up in blockexplorer even if this transaction was somehow invalidated?

Still around.
Mt.Fun (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 08:55:36 PM

If the destination address has been used before, shouldn't it show up in blockexplorer even if this transaction was somehow invalidated?

yes the original transaction with that address is in the block explorer but not the one from mybitcoin. they were for different amounts and made on different days so it is obvious.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: