Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:44:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a mining shed. Next step is network setup. Need a switch 16 port????  (Read 109 times)
ssmokeyy (OP)

Activity: 88
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 07:19:59 PM

So I'm looking at switches and if I get a 10/100 I can find 16 - 48 port models from 40 to 90 bucks that have good specs.  If I look at gigabit switches they start at 89 and go up from there.  For mining pc's do I need gigabit switches? Al my other switches and router in my house are gigabit switches. Also I have a strong wifi all ready on 256 bit.  I have a vpn with hardware firewall  monitoring all the mining systems.
Midcrypto

Activity: 85
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2018, 07:43:16 PM

So I'm looking at switches and if I get a 10/100 I can find 16 - 48 port models from 40 to 90 bucks that have good specs.  If I look at gigabit switches they start at 89 and go up from there.  For mining pc's do I need gigabit switches? Al my other switches and router in my house are gigabit switches. Also I have a strong wifi all ready on 256 bit.  I have a vpn with hardware firewall  monitoring all the mining systems.

You definitely don't need a gigabit switch as the bandwidth required for each miner is in the low kilobytes per second range. You shouldn't have to pay more than $30 for what you need.
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2018, 09:07:46 PM

Here in the bay, we have a store called Wierdstuff that sells surplus electronics/equipment.  I can usually pick up 16-64 port switches for $5-$25....  Slightly defective Agilent test gear to refurbish.... etc. just keep an eye out for something similar in your area.

I think the last switch I bought was a 3com, and had built in POE ports, as well as more internal features I have not looked into yet....

I really suggest a gigabit switch;  its just going to keep latency and overall bandwidth restrictions to a minimum.

If the switch has an uplink port or some sort of high speed link ability to another device, you would use that to set up a one wire link to the shed as well.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
NateDoggETH

Activity: 76
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 09:44:14 PM

Make sure u have a separate Ethernet line ran just in case something happens to your main line.

I have a shed also for my miners and I ran 2 shielded cat5 cables 175ft to my shield buildout. Works like a charm.

I just went with a basic 10/100 16port off amazon. Probably cost me $40 and have a WiFi router for when I’m by my pool now to.
ssmokeyy (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 09:58:54 PM

I have 2 runs of cat6 at 82 feet. extra length shed is only 27 feet from the main power box. The cable is in conduit pipe that I have installed.  The switch I have been looking at is thishttps://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4A06F96732&cm_re=cisco_switch-_-9SIA4A06F96732-_-Product  It has 48 ports of 10/100 4 ports of gigabit.  What do u guys think of this. My other line is for a ap.
theodrim

Activity: 78
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 10:10:23 PM

I really suggest a gigabit switch;  its just going to keep latency and overall bandwidth restrictions to a minimum.
Latency difference will be minimal (hundred usec at most) and unless he will have some future use with those switches, it's not worth it (if he can have 10/100 for less price).
If the switch has an uplink port or some sort of high speed link ability to another device, you would use that to set up a one wire link to the shed as well.
Pretty sure if OP asking this question he isn't going to have SFP/infiniband uplink.
ssmokeyy (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 10:38:04 PM

I have a pretty nice setup in my house, but only thing that's going to be in the shed is camera system and all mining pc's, the camera system runs on the wireless reason I have a access port in the shed for strong signal to the camera's.
ssmokeyy (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 02:40:31 AM

Is that a good switch for this?
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2018, 09:20:02 PM

Is that a good switch for this?
it doesn't seem bad.

Just remember, you don't need to pay extra for filtering, router functions, etc.

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: