Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:09:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats going on with Bitcoin hashrate?  (Read 2829 times)
helipotte (OP)

Activity: 650
Merit: 500

Pick and place? I need more coffee.

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 06:32:50 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2013, 11:01:14 PM by helipotte

Seems to have gone flat, as in very little increase for at least 5 days. Huh

https://blockchain.info/charts/hash-rate

This site shows a less than 3% increase at next diff change.

http://btcinvest.net/en/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php

I might be a bit quick to estimate, but have we hit a plateau?  Have asic manufactures started seriously slowing down production?

Opinions?

Edit: Looks like it's back on track today!

5Ph! Shocked Shocked

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 06:38:06 PM

See:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=325604.0

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
coinminers

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2013, 06:42:56 PM

I might be a bit quick to estimate, but have we hit a plateau?  Have asic manufactures started seriously slowing down production?

Opinions?

Been thinking the same thing. The only thing that throws me off is the wild swings from over 4 ph down to 3.x. Did a bunch of asics break just like that?!? Smiley

http://bit.co.in - Shorten your address and make/receive payments on the go! Decentralized!!

http://www.coinjabber.com - Submit, review, discuss, and promote Bitcoin & virtual currency websites!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 06:44:33 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2013, 08:25:42 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Just a lull, the waves are building out in the oceans they just haven't haven't reached the shore but they will in time.

KNC starts shipping Nov batch on or around 11/15.  The prior batch was >2 PH/s so no reason to think this one will be smaller.  I would say probably 2.5 PH/s.
KNC hasn't opened a Dec/Jan batch yet but I have no doubt they probably will.  I wouldn't expect anything less than 2 PH/s.  If units don't sell they can cut prices a lot to make sure they do.
HashFast is delayed but indicating they will ship Batch 1 on or around 12/15.  That will be ~0.5 PH/s (including IceDrill project).
HashFast batch 2 and upgrade timeline is unknown, but say worst case scenario it goes a month after the first batch, that will be another ~2 PH/s.
HashFast MPP window (which is likely to be max) closes end of Jan.  So expect another ~1 PH/s in Feb for that and probably another 1 PH/s (or more) in regular sales.
Cointerra is sticking with "end of Dec" but given they taped out a month late I think it is going to be more like Jan.  Still Dec or Jan it is another ~2 PH/s.

BFL ?  Well no friggin idea I doubt Monarch will be on time but it will happen eventually but probably too far out (late Feb?, early Aug?) to start considering.

Bitfury, ASICMiner, Avalon have been real quiet so it is hard to know what to expect but I am sure it isn't zero.

So I think we will have one maybe two quiet difficulty adjustments and then expect a solid climb with multiple waves shipping one after another.  
The only "good" news is that at one time a Petahash meant the difficulty would increase 100% now it means 25% and in the future it will mean less.  The % will have to eventually decline simply because doubling every month will start requiring an increasingly insane number of new units.

mvidetto

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 08:01:34 PM

Currently I think we're experiencing bad luck.  Eligius has only found 6 blocks last 24h and should find atleast 20 regularly.  Ghash.io and btcguild.com are also short on what they should be mining on a daily basis.
helipotte (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 09:22:02 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2013, 10:23:35 PM by helipotte

Currently I think we're experiencing bad luck.  Eligius has only found 6 blocks last 24h and should find atleast 20 regularly.  Ghash.io and btcguild.com are also short on what they should be mining on a daily basis.

This is true. Eliguis block times are rather long right now. Embarrassed  Maybe diff will go DOWN this time. Cheesy
Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 09:50:12 PM

I still think it was that super typhoon.

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
almonds99

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 10:24:52 PM

Does anyone think it's possible that some of the miners who are suddenly finding blocks slower than usual are trying selfish mining?
Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 11:22:27 PM

Or maybe the major pools found/identified and blocked a suspected selfish miner. 

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
Viperbass

Activity: 210

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 01:39:44 AM

Monday Byteminr's 2nd contracts come online, so we should get a 5-10% increase, then another 5-10%. After that miners will start jumping off bridges and out of buildings. There is going to be some big tears for the people that are only getting there rigs on the 3rd orders.

One of my friends has cancelled his contract for a KNC miner after he worked out the potential risks vs gains. The only card worth getting and that can make some money will be the HashFast Sierra 1200GH/s
at $7088

However with overall expected 30% str increase jumps from end of Decem through to April, this miner becomes an expensive coffee table just over a year but at least you would of doubled your income if it remains on permanently and no delays for repairs or late shipments.

Both the KnC Saturn and Jupiter is likely never to see returns unless the price of bitcoin ends up being $375 which means you will break even. The Saturn will become a coffee table in 7-8 months

OFC if bitcoins are worth $1000 this time next year then it will be worth it. The price is where the true risk comes in, if it loses values then you lose out big time.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 02:48:11 PM

I might be a bit quick to estimate, but have we hit a plateau?  Have asic manufactures started seriously slowing down production?

Opinions?

Its not the 16th yet.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
vesperwillow

Activity: 616

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:11:39 PM

Monday Byteminr's 2nd contracts come online, so we should get a 5-10% increase, then another 5-10%. After that miners will start jumping off bridges and out of buildings. There is going to be some big tears for the people that are only getting there rigs on the 3rd orders.

One of my friends has cancelled his contract for a KNC miner after he worked out the potential risks vs gains. The only card worth getting and that can make some money will be the HashFast Sierra 1200GH/s
at $7088

However with overall expected 30% str increase jumps from end of Decem through to April, this miner becomes an expensive coffee table just over a year but at least you would of doubled your income if it remains on permanently and no delays for repairs or late shipments.

Both the KnC Saturn and Jupiter is likely never to see returns unless the price of bitcoin ends up being $375 which means you will break even. The Saturn will become a coffee table in 7-8 months

OFC if bitcoins are worth $1000 this time next year then it will be worth it. The price is where the true risk comes in, if it loses values then you lose out big time.

30% increases? Haha.. Triple that and you'll be closer to what's going to hit.

alex12356

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 09:35:42 PM

What about all the stuff selling on ebay? There most be at least 4-500 devices for sale there at any time. I guess when there's a drop in value, nervous people sell their mining equipment. That would lead to a drop when everything is disconnected and sent around the world? Btw, i saw a jupiter sell for 13000$ on ebay yesterday... Are people crazy? How will they ever get an ROI on that. Or is it like i suspect, someone putting miners on ebay and then bidding on it them self with another account?
vesperwillow

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 02:32:40 AM

What about all the stuff selling on ebay? There most be at least 4-500 devices for sale there at any time. I guess when there's a drop in value, nervous people sell their mining equipment. That would lead to a drop when everything is disconnected and sent around the world? Btw, i saw a jupiter sell for 13000$ on ebay yesterday... Are people crazy? How will they ever get an ROI on that. Or is it like i suspect, someone putting miners on ebay and then bidding on it them self with another account?

Not everyone researches deep enough to understand what they're getting into, they just see the hype and buy into it. Literally.

GigaWave

Activity: 239
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:00:04 AM

Looks like more than variance to me.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:03:05 AM

It may be variance enhanced but a 0.5 PH/s difference over 504 blocks can't be variance alone.  It could be one or more company testing a new batch of miners.  KNC is suppose to start shipping "mid nov" whatever day that means.
helipotte (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:56:19 AM

Looks like more than variance to me.

My thinking exactly.  Just kinda leveled off at around 4.5Ph, sometimes jumping up to 5.  Following the normal trajectory, it should be at about 6Ph now.
MarketTime

Activity: 188

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:56:31 AM

Here comes the difficulty hike again, I though people said it ganna slow down soon.....
vesperwillow

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 01:01:15 PM

Here comes the difficulty hike again, I though people said it ganna slow down soon.....

After 2nd quarter of 2014 maybe, not right now though. It's still on the rise. We haven't even seen all of the KNC units, much less Cointerra, BFL and other hardware which will be coming online.

Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 02:12:32 PM

After 2nd quarter of 2014 maybe, not right now though. It's still on the rise. We haven't even seen all of the KNC units, much less Cointerra, BFL and other hardware which will be coming online.

We will see, by then they might come out with even better ASICS...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: