Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 10:10:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How is DPR securing his wallets from the Feds?  (Read 5795 times)
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 11:49:41 AM

Dunno. I never bothered to read all the details.

I bet it's all in the blockchain. You just have to look. (Of course, it's all there!)

jabetizo

Activity: 125
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 01:03:19 PM

It's my understand the majority of his coints are not seized.
http://www.coindesk.com/fbi-proves-seizing-bitcoins-isnt-owning/

What is the evidence that DPR has another 489,000 coins? Just that if you subtract the amount of coins that the FBI seized from the total amount of commissions that Silk Road made, you get 489,000?

the currently second-richest address with >111k BTC belongs to DPR

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 03:39:09 PM

the currently second-richest address with >111k BTC belongs to DPR
Then he's a very rich man.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1038

Death to enemies!

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 10:47:50 PM

Well, the configurable boot loader allows you to attempt the self-destruct feature. Of course, it won't work against enemies that image your hard drives and work on the copies.

My version of TC has a work around. You boot into the decoy OS and if you don't do something, it will proceed to wipe the data on the hidden OS, and it really only needs to wipe a megabyte or two to get the job done.

It only works on the assumption that they do not image my hard drive.
DiskCryptor does no have option for self-destruct. It have additional options on wrong password like handling boot sequence to another bootloader or rebooting computer. More to do with manageability and configuration flexibility and not self-destruct.
Similar to how Prey works, and how most phones have a delete feature if wrong password or something.
Phones don't encrypt data or do it with backdoors. All it takes is to desolder memory chip and read the raw data from it. It will keep out meth addicts from your private data it but not police.
The best way to secure data, in my opinion, is physical destruction of the encrypted media. The best way I can tell to do that is to have a small thermite bomb on top of the hard drive that ignites and melts it when you hit a panic button. (If you can get to the panic button.)
Really good 25+ chars random password is the best. Physical destruction is not guaranteed to succeed and why damage perfectly fine device? My panic button is located behind trigger guard and below slide but I'm not relying on it for privacy of my data.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 10:51:32 PM

It has no self-destruct feature?  Angry

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
go1111111

Activity: 187
Merit: 162

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 10:53:07 PM

It seems like DPR's mistake as far as having these coins identified as his was putting everything onto one address.

What if instead DPR had used a mixing service and had the mixing service send a few hundred coins at a time to a completely new address each time? Wouldn't people then have no idea how much he owned, or which addresses were his? He'd just have 1000 addresses each with somewhere between 90-120 coins which no one could tell apart from any other new address containing that many coins.

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1038

Death to enemies!

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 11:04:10 PM

I'm more interested why FBI sent the coins in portions like 300 coins each time. They documented each transaction? Why not all at once?

Self-destruct is useless if it cannot prevent data copy in first place. Hard drives are not smartcards. Remember that and use really strong passwords that are unrealistic to break by brute force or wordlist guessing.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2013, 11:07:14 PM

I'm more interested why FBI sent the coins in portions like 300 coins each time. They documented each transaction? Why not all at once?

Self-destruct is useless if it cannot prevent data copy in first place. Hard drives are not smartcards. Remember that and use really strong passwords that are unrealistic to break by brute force or wordlist guessing.
Why not microwave the HDD just?

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
go1111111

Activity: 187
Merit: 162

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 12:02:21 AM

324 corresponds to "FBI" if you type it on a phone keypad. They were being clever.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 12:58:32 AM

DiskCryptor does no have option for self-destruct. It have additional options on wrong password like handling boot sequence to another bootloader or rebooting computer. More to do with manageability and configuration flexibility and not self-destruct.
Similar to how Prey works, and how most phones have a delete feature if wrong password or something.
Phones don't encrypt data or do it with backdoors. All it takes is to desolder memory chip and read the raw data from it. It will keep out meth addicts from your private data it but not police.
The best way to secure data, in my opinion, is physical destruction of the encrypted media. The best way I can tell to do that is to have a small thermite bomb on top of the hard drive that ignites and melts it when you hit a panic button. (If you can get to the panic button.)
Really good 25+ chars random password is the best. Physical destruction is not guaranteed to succeed and why damage perfectly fine device? My panic button is located behind trigger guard and below slide but I'm not relying on it for privacy of my data.

Yes, I meant that you make it boot into another OS, and that OS has a program at start up that does the self-destruct of your data.

Of course, for the panic button, the drive is already encrypted. Then you melt it with thermite. That is almost guaranteed that no one can read the plain data after that.

The reason to damage a perfectly fine device is the lack of time to properly do a wipe. (It won't wipe if the drive is not dismounted or something.) If you do have more than a few seconds, then you can do it the software way. It's extreme, I know.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 04:58:31 AM

324 corresponds to "FBI" if you type it on a phone keypad. They were being clever.

That is clever...

...for a kindergartener!
Even children from kindergarten know better.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: