Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:35:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MyBitcoin.com, where did it go?  (Read 16381 times)
manifold

Activity: 62
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:13:12 PM

what bug was it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:14:05 PM

There was a serious bug in MB some hours before they went down. Probably they just try to fix it.

Any source where you got the info about the bug?

I was affected by it myself and another person from my jabber list had the same problem.

And did you contact them about it?
rabit

Merit: 10

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:18:19 PM

Sure, i send them a message through the internal msg system.

what bug was it?

Some transactions out of MB (not all which is quite strange) werent processed to the Bitcoin network (they also didnt appeared in the list of unconfirmed transactions).
BioMike
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:25:39 PM

Sure, i send them a message through the internal msg system.

But did you get any reply, and what was in there?
rabit

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:28:35 PM

The site was down the next time i checked it, so i couldnt read any reply if they sent me one (you need to be logged in to your MB account to read messages).
The transaction didnt reached me yet.
BioMike
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:30:42 PM

The site was down the next time i checked it, so i couldnt read any reply if they sent me one (you need to be logged in to your MB account to read messages).

Ok, lets hope it is that then.
rabit

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:38:41 PM

I just read more parts of the thread and it looks like toddbethell was affected by the same bug.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:41:39 PM

Your wallet.dat.

That is not an answer.

clearly Jan Vornberger of Instawallet is a trusted community member who won't run off with your money.  in the past he's responded quickly to emails from me of a non IW nature.  he also runs Bitcoin Monitor which is a staple of the community as well.  he's constantly innovating and appears to be of a cheerful nature.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:44:17 PM

clearly Jan Vornberger of Instawallet is a trusted community member who won't run off with your money.  in the past he's responded quickly to emails from me of a non IW nature.  he also runs Bitcoin Monitor which is a staple of the community as well.  he's constantly innovating and appears to be of a cheerful nature.

Does he use twitter? Or have a status page not hosted here?

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:49:48 PM

not that I know of ..  instawallet .. but that site scares me Smiley   I threw coins up there one time and closed the browser without bookmarking... LOL!

That's not instawallet's fault.. it's mine of course.. but still without any recourse to get my coins back it's somewhat scary in my opinion.

People can still use Mt.Gox for this, coupled with the yubikey (or the HOTP option we'll provide monday) it should be quite secure and there are no fees (not like with the "first bitcoin bank" canadian scam).

By the way I'd guess mybitcoin is acting pro (see http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=22221.0 if anyone remembers it) so stuff should be back soon (well, I'll avoid saying anything negative, it'll be taken badly again)

MT.  congrats on mobile solutions!!
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:59:06 PM

The problem I have with your merchant system is that your site is extremely slow processing bitcoin deposits.
Often it is 1 hour or more, and mybitcoin did it in a few seconds.
Yes I realize the risk in this, but the services I sell are time sensitive, I cannot hold it for an hour to see if the customer pays or not.
It would be great your API could instantly tell me when a payment is received (even if I have to wait for it to be confirmed in block chain before I can spend it).

We can make that happen too, a first notification when payment is on the bitcoin network. However we cannot guarantee it'll be confirmed (that's up to miners).

MT; if both buyer and merchant have mtgox accts couldn't you make the tx's instantaneous?
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 04:15:15 PM

clearly Jan Vornberger of Instawallet is a trusted community member who won't run off with your money.  in the past he's responded quickly to emails from me of a non IW nature.  he also runs Bitcoin Monitor which is a staple of the community as well.  he's constantly innovating and appears to be of a cheerful nature.

Does he use twitter? Or have a status page not hosted here?

Jan Vornberger <jan@uos.de>
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 04:22:16 PM

Can't take much more of this.

Please let it be back. Please let it be back.

AND GOD DAMN GET A OFFSITE STATUS PAGE BLOG!

* kiba finished venting.

Move on, nothing to see here.

MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 04:28:13 PM

The problem I have with your merchant system is that your site is extremely slow processing bitcoin deposits.
Yes I realize the risk in this, but the services I sell are time sensitive, I cannot hold it for an hour to see if the customer pays or not.
It would be great your API could instantly tell me when a payment is received (even if I have to wait for it to be confirmed in block chain before I can spend it).

We can make that happen too, a first notification when payment is on the bitcoin network. However we cannot guarantee it'll be confirmed (that's up to miners).

MT; if both buyer and merchant have mtgox accts couldn't you make the tx's instantaneous?

Yep, in /that/ case it's instant and non-reversible.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 04:47:44 PM

Yep, in /that/ case it's instant and non-reversible.

MT:  so whats the official explanation for this AM's bug?
Nicolai Larsen

Activity: 331
Merit: 250

Earthling

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 04:53:58 PM

There's also Walletbit.com

Works deliciously ^^

BTC: 1GUH16sneWgKuE1ArXrnYKN3njuherJQi1
Mt.Fun

Activity: 75

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 05:31:24 PM

There's also Walletbit.com

Works deliciously ^^

Unless/Until they abscond with your Bitcoins...

[  EOT  ]      FIRST DECENTRALIZED GAME NETWORK        [  EOT  ]
ICO: JULY 25
        │        READ OUR WHITEPAPER
████████││   REDDIT   ││   TELEGRAM   ││   TWITTER   ││   MEDIUM   ││   WEBSITE   ││████████
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 11:17:30 PM

clearly Jan Vornberger of Instawallet is a trusted community member who won't run off with your money.  in the past he's responded quickly to emails from me of a non IW nature.  he also runs Bitcoin Monitor which is a staple of the community as well.  he's constantly innovating and appears to be of a cheerful nature.

He may be the best person on earth, but anyone putting anything over couple BTCs into this instawallet is crazy or clueless really. These wallets are not even protected (no, password in a HTTPS url is not good enough), of course it is very convenient and fast to use but it's like your cash stored in a public library between books. Only good until someone decides to take it from you.

i am satoshi
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 11:31:28 PM

He may be the best person on earth, but anyone putting anything over couple BTCs into this instawallet is crazy or clueless really. These wallets are not even protected (no, password in a HTTPS url is not good enough), of course it is very convenient and fast to use but it's like your cash stored in a public library between books. Only good until someone decides to take it from you.

Do you know of a specific mechanism by which someone could take it from you?
As far as I can see - it's infeasible to 'guess' a wallet address.
If you don't leak it - then theoretically only you (and instawallet) should know of a wallet's existence.
(spy software on your computer is also risk.. but that goes for any bitcoin service)

The greatest risk I can see is losing your wallet address - which presumably leaves the coins available for instawallet to claim for themselves at some point.
It's disturbing that the operator doesn't clarify what happens to these 'lost' wallets - or how long before they decide it is lost
(if in fact they do.. but if wallets are sitting with no activity for 5+ years.. don't you think they'd be tempted to just.. reclaim them?)

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Johnny Pizza

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 12:32:59 AM

Can't take much more of this.

AND GOD DAMN GET A OFFSITE STATUS PAGE BLOG!

* kiba finished venting.

Move on, nothing to see here.

You might as well kiss your coins goodbye. They're gone. Get over it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: