Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:49:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ban Image Macros  (Read 3041 times)
erek

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 01:44:58 AM

YOUR You're ALL CRAZY!!!!  Shocked

FTFY

Edit: Oh, wait, somebody already pointed that out. I didn't know they did because it was stuck in a fricking picture, which didn't load the first time I loaded the page. Picture Fail, shoulda used text.
how much you chargin for the signature space you got fer rent?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AllYourBase

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 03:36:35 AM

Comedy value aside (though personally I find them completely unfunny), if this is going to be a serious place to discuss the future of an entire currency then perhaps we shouldn't be allowing the most vocal segment of the users to look like idiots at passing glance in a place easily accessible to the public.

Macros make you come across like a teenager or an idiot, neither of which is a good face for a public forum linked to Bitcoins.

The "serious place" ship has sailed my friend.

If you want good info and strong moderation, help us get the StackExchange site started:
http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/30763/bitcoin-crypto-currency

It's stagnating and could use some help and strong promotion.

Is this your project?

And as long as this forum is linked to the official Bitcoin site, the moderation staff should do their best to make it presentable to the general public and the media. That includes not allowing it to become an extension of 4chan.

While I lay no claim to the bitcoin forums as belonging to me, it seems to me that those wishing to disrupt the status quo have the burden of proof to show why their way is better.  Personally, I am unconvinced by your points.  You claim it is best to appeal to the media, which I hold will never embrace it.  You also seem to think it will be accepted by the general public (which due to the media I think is unlikely to be the case). 

Instead, I would favor targeting people who might actually use it, like pirate bay users, 4chan, <25 yr olds, and other users of peer-to-peer technologies.  In my view, they are most likely to embrace bitcoin and bring it to fruition. 
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 04:13:21 AM

Comedy value aside (though personally I find them completely unfunny), if this is going to be a serious place to discuss the future of an entire currency then perhaps we shouldn't be allowing the most vocal segment of the users to look like idiots at passing glance in a place easily accessible to the public.

Macros make you come across like a teenager or an idiot, neither of which is a good face for a public forum linked to Bitcoins.

I'd recommend you pull the stick out of your ass.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 05:09:16 AM
Last edit: July 26, 2011, 07:00:58 AM by RandyFolds

Not everyone is blessed with an Asperger's lack-of-a-sense-of-humor. Just rock back and forth and rattle off pi to the thousandth decimal. These mean ole' memes can't hurt you.

Seriously...did this fucking troll's nest ever seem like it is a serious place to discuss the future of an entire economy? As someone earlier said, that ship has sailed a long time ago.

e: typo
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12970

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 06:34:30 AM

If a "serious discussion" section was ever created, image macros (and possibly all embedded images) would be forbidden. However, they are sometimes funny and relevant in less serious threads.

The OP of a topic can forbid image macros in the topic, and off-topic posts should always be removed.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Anonymous

July 26, 2011, 08:13:14 AM

Not everyone is blessed with an Asperger's lack-of-a-sense-of-humor. Just rock back and forth and rattle off pi to the thousandth decimal. These mean ole' memes can't hurt you.

Seriously...did this fucking troll's nest ever seem like it is a serious place to discuss the future of an entire economy? As someone earlier said, that ship has sailed a long time ago.

As an investor and a vendor, this exact post is what the problem is.
dlight

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 11:06:31 AM

Personally, I don't mind the images. Adds a bit of color to the conversation. I'd rather have more users contribute in any possible way, beneficial or not.

To impose any sort of limit on the so called 'quality' of users seems to run against everything bitcoin stands for.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 05:00:53 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2011, 12:14:04 AM by RandyFolds

As a tool, this exact post is what the problem is.

Alright, Chief Have-no-fun.
Djao

Activity: 208
Merit: 100

Risk-hedging platform for cryptocurrency investors

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 05:54:18 PM

there you go: http://lynx.browser.org/

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 08:26:08 PM

There's one thing I agree with them (I mean the bitcoin-is-serious-business guys)
Some images don't have to be sooooooooooooooooo huge
Going to imageshack.us and have a smaller one takes about 30 seconds

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
TheGer

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 06:00:13 AM

Maybe we could make a sub-forum just for this guy and all the robots that post here.  We could even shift it .5 seconds into the past so it's Fun Sucking Black Holeness doesn't destroy our reality.

There's been a spread of image macro replies and terrible memes on this board. As several others have pointed out, there is a general lack of moderation with regards to the forums in the first place, but I think one thing that could go a long way to cleaning up the forum is to develop a hard-line stance on things like image macros.

Image Macros, memes, and inside jokes from 4-chan contribute nothing to any discussion, they worsen the image of bitcoin by making it appear as if the primary userbase is sophomoric teenagers who have nothing to contribute. It's frustrating sifting through crap to find the few useful replies, and nothing is more frustrating than seeing a terrible image with an unfunny joke someone pulled off the internet and just decided they HAD to share with people as a first reply to a well thought out post.

Further hardline moderation of people referring to everyone who disagrees with them as trolls would go a long way towards helping clean this place up.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: