Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 03:23:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Satoshi Nakamoto should offer a million bitcoin reward  (Read 5490 times)
jzcjca00 (OP)

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 07:21:56 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2013, 11:09:05 PM by jzcjca00

Here's a thought experiment.

Satoshi Nakamoto should offer a million bitcoin reward for the first country (or group of countries) to completely abandon its national currency and make Bitcoin the exclusive legal tender for all debts public and private.  The reward could be paid to the government of the country over a 20-year period, just to make sure they don't start down the path, collect the reward, then go back to issuing their own currency.

Imagine a country like Argentina after the next round of hyperinflation.
1.  In anticipation of this move, the government might secretly spend a few million dollars to accumulate a few tens of thousands of bitcoins while they are still cheap.  If they have USD or other currencies in reserve, they could secretly convert those to bitcoins, as well.
2.  When their current peso gets in trouble, instead of replacing it with yet again another new one, they could simply declare Bitcoin to be their national currency.
3.  The price of Bitcoin should jump at least to at least $100,000 at the news, so their first reward installment of 50,000 XBT should be worth at least $5 billion.  This would allow the government to significantly increase its expenditures and/or lower its taxes.
4.  They modify their tax code as necessary, since it's hard to track income and sales, so it makes more sense to tax by user fees, per person, or based on the value of property.

Their economy should absolutely boom because of the advantages of Bitcoin, plus the $100 billion prize, plus the enormous appreciation of any bitcoins they accumulated before the price jump.  The government looks like a hero and probably stays in power, at least until the reward payments stop.

It doesn't have to be Argentina.  It could be any country whose currency gets into trouble, or a bloc of nations wanting the advantages of a common currency, or maybe even the U.S.

The first nation to make the conversion wins a huge reward.  The price of Bitcoin should increase just due to the anticipation and speculation that some country might attempt to win the prize.  And the higher the price goes, the more valuable the reward becomes, so the higher the pressure to be the first to convert.

If Satoshi owns 1.5 million bitcoins, then giving away this reward would make his remaining bitcoins a thousand times more valuable, so this would not be a purely altruistic action.

I'm sure Satoshi wants Bitcoin to succeed.  This would be a way to increase the chance.  Perhaps we need better infrastructure first, like good, cheap hardware wallets?

Tips much appreciated! 1PPJHDawPvjh6MEzsvXrMYLgpLmyAaNXUc
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 07:30:47 PM

If I was Satoshi, I would be a rich man.
So why would I bother with any of this, when I can just enjoy life?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
wmcleod

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 07:38:21 PM

If anyone was shown to hold 1,000,000 BTC, I think it would undermine the value of btc heavily.
jzcjca00 (OP)

Activity: 263

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 07:42:07 PM

If anyone was shown to hold 1,000,000 BTC, I think it would undermine the value of btc heavily.

The estimate I saw was 1,500,000.  They were very easy to mine in the early days.

Tips much appreciated! 1PPJHDawPvjh6MEzsvXrMYLgpLmyAaNXUc
wmcleod

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 08:08:49 PM

The estimate I saw was 1,500,000.  They were very easy to mine in the early days.

kind of scary to think what would happen if this person decided to unload even a fraction of that amount.  :S
Hugroll

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 08:27:10 PM

kind of scary to think what would happen if this person decided to unload even a fraction of that amount.  :S

they wont unload unless theres a lot investor
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 09:07:38 PM

Price crashes, and I get thousands of bitcoins for $1.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 09:08:55 PM

Price crashes, and I get thousands of bitcoins for $1.

What a beautiful day.

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 09:09:31 PM

What a beautiful day.
Price recovers, I'm a millionaire? Wouldn't this be for the best.
Satoshi, if you're reading this: dump now!

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Ecurb123

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 10:09:26 PM

sounds like a good idea, I'll bet a micro nation would be the first.
worldtreasurefinders

Activity: 315

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 10:14:55 PM

You forget, governments like to control their own money, i.e. print and create at will.  We're just as likely to see a country return to the gold standard as we are to see a country exclusively adopt bitcoin as it's currency.

Architect, Anarchist, Numismatist, Crypto-Enthusiast.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 10:31:15 PM

No this won't ever happen.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Hugroll

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 11:05:10 PM

No this won't ever happen.

Not to bitcoin
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 11:07:27 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto should offer a million bitcoin reward for the first country (or group of countries) to completely abandon its national currency and make Bitcoin the exclusive legal tender for all debts public and private.

Ummm? Satoshi abandoned Bitcoin and disappeared into thin air. I think the chance of this happening are very remote.  Cool
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 11:12:27 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto should offer a million bitcoin reward for the first country (or group of countries) to completely abandon its national currency and make Bitcoin the exclusive legal tender for all debts public and private.

Ummm? Satoshi abandoned Bitcoin and disappeared into thin air. I think the chance of this happening are very remote.  Cool
He's on his island drinking and enjoying the rich life.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
challen

Activity: 48

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 11:33:00 PM

Should happens... All the time.
worldtreasurefinders

Activity: 315

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 02:00:53 AM

Bitcoin doesn't need a government or central bank to endorse it.  That's one of it's biggest strengths.

Architect, Anarchist, Numismatist, Crypto-Enthusiast.
silvergoldandbitcoin

Activity: 424

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 02:16:47 AM

Bitcoin doesn't need a government or central bank to endorse it.  That's one of it's biggest strengths.

+1

However this is also a downside. The more people know about Bitcoin, the better. If a country were to officially endorse Bitcoin imagine the worldwide press attention it would receive! Interest in Bitcoin would spike at an astronomical rate!

While it might just be wishful thinking, it certainly would be amazing... Smiley

MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 04:48:37 AM

He's on his island drinking and enjoying the rich life.

Yeah...probably. Lol

I wish people would research him a little more. This is a direct quote from Satoshi's last post on this forum:

"This is one improvement, but there are still more ways to attack than I can count." ~ Satoshi

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2228.msg29479#msg29479

He hung that thought out there for everyone and then vanished into thin air. Thanks a lot Satoshi! LOL  Grin
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 02:19:16 PM

Yeah...probably. Lol

I wish people would research him a little more. This is a direct quote from Satoshi's last post on this forum:

"This is one improvement, but there are still more ways to attack than I can count." ~ Satoshi

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2228.msg29479#msg29479

He hung that thought out there for everyone and then vanished into thin air. Thanks a lot Satoshi! LOL  Grin

Wise words from a wise man.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: