Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:08:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't use online wallet services.  (Read 2945 times)
LeFBI

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 06:07:31 PM

Online wallets are most likely the best way to get Bitcoins widely accepted!
I don't buy this one bit. IMHO it is foolish and dangerous to make such an assertion.
[...]
Linuxcoin works and works very well.[...]
Of course it does work well. But you are also a geek. Try to explain that to a none-geek:
"LinuxCoin? What's an .iso file? how do i burn it to cd? how do i create a bootable usb stick? WTF, i have to reboot my pc nao? Why the fuck do i have to download several hundred MB for that stupid Blockchain? What is that anyway? How do i get coins now? What's mining? What's an exchange? How do i use it? What, i need dwolla or LibertyReverse first?"
If you can quickly guide none-geek users through this, so that they actually understand it, let me know how.
Average Joe will just say "fuck this, to complicated. I'll just sign up at paypal that's what they use on ebay anyway". As long as Bitcoins aren't as easy to use like paypal, it will be stigmatized as hacker and geek currency.
Online wallets/Paypal like platforms can help to get Bitcoins widely acceptable and easily useable for average internet users and also for smartphone users.
Such a platform however, as already said, must be run by a trustworhty professional organization that is liable and has a real office and not by some random anonyous guy. Your real bank account is not much different to that.
I'm not saying that you, as a geek, should use it. I'm just saying a trustworthy online wallet service can help gaining acceptance ammong the average internet users.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitportal

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 06:39:45 PM

Don't use online wallets, ever.
ffuentes

Activity: 70

Only a curious passer-by / FirstBits: 13zsc1

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 06:57:41 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2011, 11:44:10 PM by ffuentes

Online wallets are most likely the best way to get Bitcoins widely accepted!
I don't buy this one bit. IMHO it is foolish and dangerous to make such an assertion.
[...]
Linuxcoin works and works very well.[...]
Of course it does work well. But you are also a geek. Try to explain that to a none-geek:
"LinuxCoin? What's an .iso file? how do i burn it to cd? how do i create a bootable usb stick? WTF, i have to reboot my pc nao? Why the fuck do i have to download several hundred MB for that stupid Blockchain? What is that anyway? How do i get coins now? What's mining? What's an exchange? How do i use it? What, i need dwolla or LibertyReverse first?"
If you can quickly guide none-geek users through this, so that they actually understand it, let me know how.
Average Joe will just say "fuck this, to complicated. I'll just sign up at paypal that's what they use on ebay anyway". As long as Bitcoins aren't as easy to use like paypal, it will be stigmatized as hacker and geek currency.
Online wallets/Paypal like platforms can help to get Bitcoins widely acceptable and easily useable for average internet users and also for smartphone users.
Such a platform however, as already said, must be run by a trustworhty professional organization that is liable and has a real office and not by some random anonyous guy. Your real bank account is not much different to that.
I'm not saying that you, as a geek, should use it. I'm just saying a trustworthy online wallet service can help gaining acceptance ammong the average internet users.

Yes, LinuxCoin is too geek, but you don't need using LinuxCoin to maintain your wallet in your HD.

I believe that banks (real ones) or a big Internet company like PayPal would be interested in it if the number of people using Bitcoin grows.

Listen Radio Libre (Electronica) Donate. (click for details).

Chilean peso VS BTC ahora: http://irage.ca/2btc.php?a=1&c=CLP&r=1

My bitcoin address
pekv2 (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 11:22:50 PM

I could not imagine what is going through the persons head that might have lost all of their bitcoins, due to this problem.
BadPenny

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 08:34:09 PM

Some people say, "Don't even trust your own computer!"

Other people say, "Online wallets FTW!  What, me worry?"

It seems to me that keeping at least two copies of one's wallet.dat files, strongly-encrypted, on two separate USB drives or CDs/DVDs is the way to go for now,
maybe even renaming them and changing the file extension while they are stored away, only moving them to the Bitcoin datadir when one is using the client.

I love the simplicity of everything being in that one .dat file, but that also seems to be its biggest flaw\vulnerability.

Hopefully, Bitcoin will evolve and become more secure, or it will succumb to increasingly more scammin' bastards.

I owe my soul to the company store.
heigan

Activity: 5

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 08:35:46 PM

I agree.
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 09:01:16 PM

Some people say, "Don't even trust your own computer!"

Other people say, "Online wallets FTW!  What, me worry?"

It seems to me that keeping at least two copies of one's wallet.dat files, strongly-encrypted, on two separate USB drives or CDs/DVDs is the way to go for now,
maybe even renaming them and changing the file extension while they are stored away, only moving them to the Bitcoin datadir when one is using the client.

I love the simplicity of everything being in that one .dat file, but that also seems to be its biggest flaw\vulnerability.

Hopefully, Bitcoin will evolve and become more secure, or it will succumb to increasingly more scammin' bastards.

Are you spying on me Shocked?

Ima look for those camera's. Grin
Chick

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 09:02:57 PM

Title fix'd.

pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 09:06:09 PM

Title fix'd.

What is stopping other services like mybitcoin, happening to them as what happened to mybitcoin?
BadPenny

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 01:32:47 PM

What is stopping other services like mybitcoin, happening to them as what happened to mybitcoin?

NOTHING is stopping other "services" from doing what MyBitcoin has done.
A person really needs to be responsible for their own wallet and security habits, instead of trusting one of these fly-by-night online wallet scams.
At least until the Bitcoin client (hopefully) addresses wallet security in a future version.
I'm sure more MyBitcoins will crawl out of the woodwork, looking to earn your trust.

Caveat emptor.  Abundans cautela non nocet.

dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2011, 04:08:09 PM

Anyone thinking of developing or using an online wallet service should be thinking about offline reserves, as discussed here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34011.0

JCbit

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 04:42:25 AM

I think at this point its fair to say you shouldnt trust your coins
to ANY third party
Peter-Jan Celis (BitFlow)

Activity: 20

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 05:34:17 AM

The reality is that Bitcoin will never get mainstream adoption without easy to use online wallets.

Obviously there is a trust issue in the market now but nothing that the market can't solve going forward.
ffuentes

Only a curious passer-by / FirstBits: 13zsc1

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 06:54:40 AM

The reality is that Bitcoin will never get mainstream adoption without easy to use online wallets.

Obviously there is a trust issue in the market now but nothing that the market can't solve going forward.

And we have another problem with the mainstream adoption. When I pay to another address some coins, that transaction may take at least 10 minutes to get over.

Online wallets must also resolve this issue.

Listen Radio Libre (Electronica) Donate. (click for details).

Chilean peso VS BTC ahora: http://irage.ca/2btc.php?a=1&c=CLP&r=1

My bitcoin address

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 07:12:30 AM

And we have another problem with the mainstream adoption. When I pay to another address some coins, that transaction may take at least 10 minutes to get over.

Online wallets must also resolve this issue.

That's where green wallets kick in i.e. the online wallets send their payments via one of their central wallets so people know (from experience, reputation) that the payment is real even if it still needs to get confirmed.
BadPenny

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 01:32:31 PM

BitFlow = another MyBitcoin?

leniad

Activity: 17

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 01:47:26 PM

i still think the safest place for your wallet is in your personal computer, that only you have access to.

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 06:51:07 PM

BitFlow = another MyBitcoin?

BitFlow will be an exchange. I'd also appreciate it if you don't compare us with a scam outfit.
BadPenny

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 09:39:43 PM

BitFlow will be an exchange. I'd also appreciate it if you don't compare us with a scam outfit.

U Mad Bro?

In case you haven't noticed, anyone that shows up on these boards claiming to keep others BTC safe with their site MyUberSafeWalletTown.org or whatshisname raises red flags (or should) for most people, myself included. 
You know, since it's an untraceable anarchocryptocurrency and all.  Too easily exploited at this juncture, my man, by people who want to earn just the minimum amount of trust needed to take the money and run. 
Your site looks like a half-assed template, it's hosted by GoDaddy, and the email is a Gmail account.  Plus you're wearing an argyle sweater vest and tooling around in your dinghy.
Red flags to me, chief.

timmey

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 09:56:23 PM

Being an exchange doesn't necessarily mean better, look at bitomat.pl... they "lost" their wallet Cheesy

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33457.0
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: