Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:46:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Situation in the Philippines - Donations of food, supplies and money needed!  (Read 2496 times)
silvergoldandbitcoin (OP)

Activity: 424
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 01:47:44 AM

Hello everyone. It has been a very sad few days in the Philippines, as one of the worst storms ever has devastated the country. Below is a link to various news coverage of the disaster.

https://www.google.com/search?q=philippines+typhoon+news&oq=philippines+typhoon+news&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.10577j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=93&espv=210&q=philippines+typhoon+news&tbm=nws

The death toll is said to most likely reach 10,000.

Please everyone, if you have fiat available for donation please visit this link for ways to donate:

http://www.redcross.org.ph/donate

If you have cryptocurrency you wish to donate, please get in touch with me!  I will make a fiat donation via paypal (I know, I know... but unfortunately I have a lot of my money coming in through paypal. Not much I can do about that.), and send you proof of the donation.

I'm not trying to make money off of this, so I'm not taking a ridiculous percentage. I will subtract 0.5% to cover exchange fees.

I want to be as open and transparent as possible, so please make suggestions!

No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4473

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 03:30:16 AM

i personally do not donate to the red cross, this is because of a few things
EG (numbers are from their financial reports available on their website)
75 million pounds goes towards "Staff emoluments and trustee expenses"
10 million pounds goes towards central office costs (bills, HR, legal)
70 million pounds goes towards generating income (advertising, PR, promotional materials)

and then when you look at how much was spent per cause, under £10 million was spent each on the japan, haiti and other disaster responses.

would you want to give red cross a bitcoin worth $340 and know that less then $25 of supplies/support ended up at the frontline for victims?

id prefer to ensure the maximum amount of funds reached the destined victims and also highlighting the fact that those supplies/support was funded via bitcoins. thus id prefer giving to someone from the area that can show 'front line' results of the bitcoin donations.

sidenote to OP:

by simply putting your paypal into red cross while you collect the bitcoins, is not advertising bitcoins as a charitable event, its more of a middleman effort to start off with paypal and end up with bitcoins, where you are in control of the exchange rate and a small side effect of charity donations

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 04:10:20 AM

i personally do not donate to the red cross, this is because of a few things
EG (numbers are from their financial reports available on their website)
75 million pounds goes towards "Staff emoluments and trustee expenses"
10 million pounds goes towards central office costs (bills, HR, legal)
70 million pounds goes towards generating income (advertising, PR, promotional materials)

and then when you look at how much was spent per cause, under £10 million was spent each on the japan, haiti and other disaster responses.

would you want to give red cross a bitcoin worth $340 and know that less then $25 of supplies/support ended up at the frontline for victims?

id prefer to ensure the maximum amount of funds reached the destined victims and also highlighting the fact that those supplies/support was funded via bitcoins. thus id prefer giving to someone from the area that can show 'front line' results of the bitcoin donations.

sidenote to OP:

by simply putting your paypal into red cross while you collect the bitcoins, is not advertising bitcoins as a charitable event, its more of a middleman effort to start off with paypal and end up with bitcoins, where you are in control of the exchange rate and a small side effect of charity donations

I was unaware that so little of the donations actually reached the victims. Is there a better charity? One that puts donations to better use?

I agree with your statement, that I'm acting as a middleman. However, I don't agree with your claim that this "is not advertising bitcoins as a charitable event". While the donation may not originally come from me, It makes it easier for those that have cryptocurrency, and wish to support a good cause with it.

kryptopath

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

Just letting you know right now, I'm kinda weird.

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 05:16:18 AM

I'll send .01 btc your way. If you provide proof of your donation, then I'll consider donating more.

Address?

BTW you said you take out .5% for exchange fees. which exchange rate are you using?

A new kind of collectible... The KryptoKaps are coming... Pre-orders have shipped! Thanks everyone!

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 05:22:47 AM

I'll send .01 btc your way. If you provide proof of your donation, then I'll consider donating more.

Address?

BTW you said you take out .5% for exchange fees. which exchange rate are you using?

PM'd you my address.

I will be using the bitstamp exchange rate. So for 0.01 BTC I will be donating $3.25

kryptopath

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 05:29:47 AM

How can you prove you made the donation?

A new kind of collectible... The KryptoKaps are coming... Pre-orders have shipped! Thanks everyone!

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 05:38:02 AM

How can you prove you made the donation?

After donation has been made I will screenshot the transaction confirmation page, then send it to you.

kryptopath

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 05:45:23 AM

Sent. When will you be making the donation?

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 06:07:14 AM

Sent. When will you be making the donation?

Already did Smiley

http://postimg.org/image/6l385hw8b/

http://postimg.org/image/hyprgp6qz/

kryptopath

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 06:25:01 AM

Cool looks good.

Hey you know I have some more coin that I'd like to donate, but I have a specific charity in mind.

You should start a thread where people can choose which charity they'd like to donate to. (Not downplaying the typhoon, it is a tragedy! But just to give people some more choice.

View Profile
November 11, 2013, 06:46:42 AM

Cool looks good.

Hey you know I have some more coin that I'd like to donate, but I have a specific charity in mind.

You should start a thread where people can choose which charity they'd like to donate to. (Not downplaying the typhoon, it is a tragedy! But just to give people some more choice.

Hmm, I guess I could. The reason I started this thread was because I felt the need to help victims in the Philippines. But if people wish to spread goodwill around, then who am I to tell them who to spread it to?

I'll make the thread offering to donate to any charity, as long as they accept paypal of course.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: