Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:05:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bears thread - unleash the bear in you in this thread  (Read 7553 times)
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:37:27 AM

The China/America thing was only to illustrate a point. You also have Europe, Russia, Africa, South America to consider - Basically all it takes is one country to say, 'fuck it, we love Bitcoin - do as you please' and they become the hub of all Bitcoin activity overnight. Then the fact that Bitcoin will still be functional in every other country means that there will probably still be people in those countries using it regardless of legality (as is observed with the prohibition of cannabis, for example)

What you say in pratice would mean that all those countries should drop their national currencies (or at least put Bitcoin on a par with them which would mean they don't value their own currency). How come?

I'm not saying they should drop their national currencies. Just that they don't move to ban the use of crypto currencies. They just take a hands off approach and allow it to develop and run its course.

I got your point... Cool

If it is banned in the USA, this ban will have devastating repercussions throughout the world. This in effect would mean that you won't be able to legally buy Bitcoin for dollars, with all ensuing consequences thereof

All this talk of bitcoin being banned in the U.S.

Newsflash, BTC is not getting banned in the U.S. That is about as obvious as the noses on our faces. We do not live in a totalitarian system, despite what Libertarians will tell you. We still have a free, if unequal, democracy.

In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:38:10 AM

We do not live in a totalitarian system, despite what Libertarians will tell you. We still have a free, if unequal, democracy.
Heh, what's it smell like?

Elon Krusky
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 07:49:49 AM
Last edit: November 14, 2013, 08:01:58 AM by deisik

I'm not saying they should drop their national currencies. Just that they don't move to ban the use of crypto currencies. They just take a hands off approach and allow it to develop and run its course.
Plenty of countries have already done that.  The most friendly one being Germany I believe that declared Bitcoin private money.

Any substantial displacement of some local currency with Bitcoin would mean proportional devaluation of this currency. And you still insist that governments will be nodding approvingly or just stay impartial? While Bitcoin remains some analogy of gold, it makes no sense to ban it. If it enters circulation in any considerable amount (which is very unlikely due to Bitcoin's nature) i.e. becomes a currency, there will be

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 07:52:21 AM

All this talk of bitcoin being banned in the U.S.

Newsflash, BTC is not getting banned in the U.S. That is about as obvious as the noses on our faces. We do not live in a totalitarian system, despite what Libertarians will tell you. We still have a free, if unequal, democracy.

I'm not saying BTC is getting banned in the US. Actually, I said if it was banned (read, would be banned)... Grin

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 08:32:09 AM

We do not live in a totalitarian system, despite what Libertarians will tell you. We still have a free, if unequal, democracy.
Heh, what's it smell like?

These "free democracy" folks always forget how gold was forbidden by Roosevelt in 1933  Cool
But I never fail to remind them of this unfortunate fact... Grin

BitPirate

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 08:57:22 AM

Actually, cryptocurrencies may well be the future -- for governments as well as us.

Governments love power... so I believe they will take the opportunity to embrace and extend cryptocurrencies. To the point that libertarians hate them.

Think about it -- a proof of work system is too perfect for them. Yes, it does remove the need for trusted authorities, but it also removes the need to trust the populace.  If all payments are on a public blockchain, tax can be built into the protocol. The need for traditional taxmen and auditors goes away.

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 09:02:32 AM
Last edit: November 14, 2013, 09:22:27 AM by deisik

Actually, cryptocurrencies may well be the future -- for governments as well as us.

Governments love power... so I believe they will take the opportunity to embrace and extend cryptocurrencies. To the point that libertarians hate them.

You're a bit late!  Grin
They already have payment cards and non-cash transactions (free of the "inconveniences" Bitcoin comes with)... Cool

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 09:08:50 AM
Last edit: November 14, 2013, 09:44:10 AM by deisik

Think about it -- a proof of work system is too perfect for them. Yes, it does remove the need for trusted authorities, but it also removes the need to trust the populace.  If all payments are on a public blockchain, tax can be built into the protocol. The need for traditional taxmen and auditors goes away.

Yes, but they would have to change the protocol at first... Would Bitcoin remain Bitcoin then, and (what is even more important) would it have any utility after that? Grin

Also, how are you going to prevent double taxation issues (provided anonimity is preserved)? Cool

theecoinomist

Activity: 200
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:41:16 PM

Chart does not matter. China does not use Google, they use Baidu.

500 by Friday!

SimonJones

Activity: 485
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:54:25 PM

I don't think Bitcoin will be the future crypto currency. With the instant internet age, people don't have the time to wait even 1+ minutes for transactions to take place and then there's no solution for the ever increasing Blockchain size. No way Bitcoin will be able to handle 100,000+ transactions per second. Bitcoin is experimental and has too many flaws to be successful.

I believe a better digital currency will come to replace Bitcoin and it may even be made by some government. All merchants will probably flock to use a government's digital currency.

However, there's still no competition for Bitcoin yet except maybe Ripple so Bitcoin will keep rising in value for some more months (years?). Till then the bulls can enjoy the ride but don't forget to unload some coins on the way! Smiley

..............Web..............Bounty..............Twitter..............Telegram.......
.......ALL DATA ⇔ ONE PLACE.......

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 04:57:18 PM

I don't think Bitcoin will be the future crypto currency. With the instant internet age, people don't have the time to wait even 1+ minutes for transactions to take place and then there's no solution for the ever increasing Blockchain size. No way Bitcoin will be handle 100,000 transactions per second. Bitcoin is experimental and has too many flaws to be successful.

Do you have a bank account (or had in the past)? Grin

SimonJones

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 04:59:18 PM

I don't think Bitcoin will be the future crypto currency. With the instant internet age, people don't have the time to wait even 1+ minutes for transactions to take place and then there's no solution for the ever increasing Blockchain size. No way Bitcoin will be handle 100,000 transactions per second. Bitcoin is experimental and has too many flaws to be successful.

Do you have a bank account (or had in the past)? Grin

In the near future, even 1 second maybe too long a wait! It's not about the past - it's about the future.

..............Web..............Bounty..............Twitter..............Telegram.......

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 05:16:24 PM

In the near future, even 1 second maybe too long a wait! It's not about the past - it's about the future.

Let's talk about the present! Grin
And NOW we have that BTC transactions are times (or even by orders) faster than the bank ones, lol Grin

SimonJones

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 05:21:05 PM

Let's talk about the present! Grin
And NOW we have that BTC transactions are times (or even by orders) faster than the bank ones, lol Grin

This is a bears thread. There's nothing for the bears at present with the raging prices lol

Anyway the party will come to an end some day and some may be left with worthless coins if they don't enjoy the present and the few months ahead! Technology progresses rapidly once a start is made somewhere.

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 05:27:49 PM

This is a bears thread. There's nothing for the bears at present with the raging prices lol

Anyway the party will come to an end some day and some may be left with worthless coins if they don't enjoy the present and the few months ahead! Technology progresses rapidly once a start is made somewhere.

Yep, this may very well be the case with Bitcoin but this for sure will not be the end because of transactions per second Grin

bitwhizz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 05:41:52 PM

i'm still bearish
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:37:02 PM

If it is banned in the USA, the ban will have devastating repercussions throughout the world.

You need to get out of USA for a decade or so to realise how unimportant it actualy is. Start with BRIC countries.

These "free democracy" folks always forget how gold was forbidden by Roosevelt in 1933  Cool

Did that affected anyone but USA? Not really.

+1

As a US citizen I like to remind my fellow Americans that we are less than 5% of the world's population  and even that percentage is shrinking.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:42:58 PM

i'm still bearish

Same here. This has, to me, all the characteristics of a bubble, and we all know what happens to them eventually. Might be a bit left to the top. I´ll sell some more when we reach $500.

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:48:13 PM

If it is banned in the USA, the ban will have devastating repercussions throughout the world.

You need to get out of USA for a decade or so to realise how unimportant it actualy is. Start with BRIC countries.

These "free democracy" folks always forget how gold was forbidden by Roosevelt in 1933  Cool

+1

As a US citizen I like to remind my fellow Americans that we are less than 5% of the world's population  and even that percentage is shrinking.

Here is how the US sees the world  Wink:

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 07:56:38 PM

Lol. Gold standard was dismantled soon after that... Grin

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: