Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:59:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 GPUs...can I do it?  (Read 2323 times)
RandyFolds (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 10:15:19 AM

I stumbled across an extremely inexpensive cache of 5830s from a friend. I am currently running 2x6870s in a Silverstone Raven 2. I was thinking about getting PCIe extender cables and unscrewing the stupid acrylic viewing window (or maybe cutting it so as not to affect flow-through) and running three 5830s outside the case, with either a throttled 100 watt can fan venting heat out the window or just a box fan blowing at it if it doesn't make the house unbearable. I would have to rig up some sort of mounting hardware for them, but I'll cross that bridge if this is even possible. I was thinking of running a tandem power supply to ensure that everything had enough juice. I happen to have an Antec 500w that vents such that I could mount it in the case with my other PSU, an Antec 750w.

My alternative would be to assemble some bones I have lying around, but I would need a processor and HD, and then I'd need a more robust PSU than that antec 500w, so I am looking at $200 + cards, and probably higher power costs due to the secondary systems. I would prefer to cram it in one box, even though it is getting to be the height of summer. Fall and winter can do with a spaceheater; all the better if it generates btc.

Yea or Neigh? Thanks for your input.
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 01:38:46 PM

you can do it if your motherboard supports it...  Wink
deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:46:10 PM

Send them to one of us we're crazier than you! Kidding though you can do it

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
RandyFolds (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 07:04:33 PM

Make sure your logic board can support PCIe cards in ALL slots. Some share bandwidth in such a way as to effectively disable certain x1 slots when the x16 slots are filled.

I've learned this the very hard way by spending quite a lot of money on what I thought was a good board with 5 slots - 5 extender cables and GPUs, only three of the GPUs are being recognised. I'd check first - certainly before butchering your case (if it's a nice case)...

And remember that GPU cards always seem to run cooler *outside* of a case than inside. Even without box fans etc. my open-frame rig is cooler than the case boxes.

Thanks for the help everyone.

The mobo is an MSI 870U-G55. Any clue how I can research whether it supports 5 PCI slots or not?
Inju

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 07:10:14 PM

Make sure your logic board can support PCIe cards in ALL slots. Some share bandwidth in such a way as to effectively disable certain x1 slots when the x16 slots are filled.

I've learned this the very hard way by spending quite a lot of money on what I thought was a good board with 5 slots - 5 extender cables and GPUs, only three of the GPUs are being recognised. I'd check first - certainly before butchering your case (if it's a nice case)...

And remember that GPU cards always seem to run cooler *outside* of a case than inside. Even without box fans etc. my open-frame rig is cooler than the case boxes.

Can you share which mother board you used?
Coz, i am going to buy gigabyte 890FXA-UD7  AMD mother board with 6 PCIe slots to connect 6 cards with riser cables.
dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 07:15:31 PM

The mobo is an MSI 870U-G55. Any clue how I can research whether it supports 5 PCI slots or not?
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/870U-G55.html#?div=Detail

says,
Slots
• 1 PCI Express x16 slot (PCI_E2) with x16 operation (PCI Express Bus SPEC V2.0 compliant)
• 1 PCI Express x16 slot (PCI_E3) with x4 operation (PCI Express Bus SPEC V2.0 compliant)
• 1 PCI Express x1 slot

meaning only THREE PCIe slots. NOT 5.
RandyFolds (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 07:26:39 PM

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/870U-G55.html#?div=Detail

says,
Slots
• 1 PCI Express x16 slot (PCI_E2) with x16 operation (PCI Express Bus SPEC V2.0 compliant)
• 1 PCI Express x16 slot (PCI_E3) with x4 operation (PCI Express Bus SPEC V2.0 compliant)
• 1 PCI Express x1 slot

meaning only THREE PCIe slots. NOT 5.

Yeah, I just noticed that as well. I have another mobo sitting around somewhere. I gotta see how many slots she holds.
RandyFolds (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 07:27:22 PM

So much for last night's drunken plans... Grin
release

Activity: 184
Merit: 14

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 08:08:50 PM

for future reference, GPUreview.com has the wattage of Reference cards.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: