Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:36:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripple competition  (Read 20495 times)
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 06:44:00 PM

And what should I do to be able to deposit my 44,000 XRP at Bitstamp ?
That doesn't make any sense. Bitstamp doesn't take or hold XRP deposits. Why would they? What are you trying to do?

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 06:50:57 PM

I just don't see it working out for the regular Joe.

There is some recurring issues were USD is not fungible, so you can't sell your USD at other gateways without taking a big haircut.  I'm not sure if that has to do with trust lines between gateways or what but you just get these lame error messages.

And in some cases you pay between 5 to 10% or more to move fiat that is being held at one gateway to another.  So if I moved fiat from a gatewaye in the USA to a gateway for Brazil, I get to pay a whopping 10%?

I might as well go to Western Union and talk to a real person.  Or just use Bitcoin.

It was a cool idea, but just doesn't seem to be working out as well as people thought.  Perhaps if they could fix these issues things would be okay but people have been posting about them on github for months now.

Just my 2 cents.

mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 07:07:17 PM

That doesn't make any sense. Bitstamp doesn't take or hold XRP deposits. Why would they? What are you trying to do?

Just out of curiosity, is it even possible to create XRP IOUs? I know the client doesn't support it, but what about the server? Could you run a community credit scheme with XRP?

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
ahbritto

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

Ripple

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 07:23:34 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2013, 07:58:31 PM by ahbritto

Just out of curiosity, is it even possible to create XRP IOUs? I know the client doesn't support it, but what about the server? Could you run a community credit scheme with XRP?
To avoid confusion the server does not allow XRP IOUs. XRR is suggested for XRP as IOUs.
mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 07:46:43 PM

Thanks!

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 09:31:01 PM

There is some recurring issues were USD is not fungible, so you can't sell your USD at other gateways without taking a big haircut.  I'm not sure if that has to do with trust lines between gateways or what but you just get these lame error messages.
Assuming both gateways are reliable, this is a profit opportunity. If the cost is unreasonably high, offer the exchange at a less unreasonably high fee.

And in some cases you pay between 5 to 10% or more to move fiat that is being held at one gateway to another.  So if I moved fiat from a gatewaye in the USA to a gateway for Brazil, I get to pay a whopping 10%?
Again, if the price is unfair, offer the movement at a lower fee. These are market rates. You are absolutely right that the markets are thin right now, but those are profit opportunities for market makers.

It was a cool idea, but just doesn't seem to be working out as well as people thought.  Perhaps if they could fix these issues things would be okay but people have been posting about them on github for months now.
We're working on incentivizing market makers. But any time you see an unreasonably high price in Ripple, offer the same thing at a reasonably high price. You'll make a profit and you'll make Ripple better too.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
fellowtraveler

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 12:35:30 PM

So there's Nxt, MasterCoin, BitShares (or is it ProtoShares?), eMunie, Open Transactions, all of which are supposedly going to be launched/released soon (any others?). It is very easy to market vaporware - just claim that your product has feature X, and it does. Since its just vaporware it can have all the best features before it even exists.

Ripple, on the other hand, actually exists and already has one major gateway (kraken next in line) and two chinese gateways (with rising CNY capitalization btw, up from 250k CNY in october to 539k CNY on Nov 12th to 787k CNY today).

The competition hasn't even left the starting line.

If you think of Open-Transactions as a competitor to Ripple, then you are misinformed. That's like calling openssl a competitor to Excel.

Also, OT has been publicly available for a long time: https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 10:36:14 PM

So there's Nxt, MasterCoin, BitShares (or is it ProtoShares?), eMunie, Open Transactions, all of which are supposedly going to be launched/released soon (any others?). It is very easy to market vaporware - just claim that your product has feature X, and it does. Since its just vaporware it can have all the best features before it even exists.

Ripple, on the other hand, actually exists and already has one major gateway (kraken next in line) and two chinese gateways (with rising CNY capitalization btw, up from 250k CNY in october to 539k CNY on Nov 12th to 787k CNY today).

If you think of Open-Transactions as a competitor to Ripple, then you are misinformed. That's like calling openssl a competitor to Excel.

Also, OT has been publicly available for a long time: https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions

Okay then, I should have said Invictus Innovations, Monetas, and Ripple Labs.

I know OT has been available, and you're right that its not a fair comparison to Ripple. Because OT is an API around Chaumian cash/Lucre coins. The p2p exchange is a "feature" which exists only on the roadmap, and in various proposals for a "holy grail" bitmessage-based exchange and multi-sig voting pools.

Then there's Ripple, which already has a distributed ledger and is constantly matching bid/ask offers every few seconds. Pretty good volume today, users were trading $1k chunks of bitstamp USD for XRP. And deposits at the chinese gateways broke the CNY 1,000,000 mark.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
fellowtraveler

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 01:19:42 AM
Last edit: November 24, 2013, 01:54:10 AM by fellowtraveler

Okay then, I should have said Invictus Innovations, Monetas, and Ripple Labs.

I know OT has been available, and you're right that its not a fair comparison to Ripple. Because OT is an API around Chaumian cash/Lucre coins. The p2p exchange is a "feature" which exists only on the roadmap, and in various proposals for a "holy grail" bitmessage-based exchange and multi-sig voting pools.

Then there's Ripple, which already has a distributed ledger and is constantly matching bid/ask offers every few seconds. Pretty good volume today, users were trading $1k chunks of bitstamp USD for XRP. And deposits at the chinese gateways broke the CNY 1,000,000 mark.

Let me ask you, why should anyone use Bitcoin, when they can just use Paypal?

-- Paypal is in many countries.

-- Paypal has a worldwide ledger tracking everyone's account balance.

-- Paypal allows you to convert into other currencies.  https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/sell/mc/mc_convert-outside

-- Paypal allows you to receive money in many different currencies.  https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/sell/mc/mc_receive-outside

-- Paypal processes over $315 million in payments every day. (Pretty good volume.)

-- Users often trade $1K chunks of USD for Paypal USD.

-- Paypal is in China.  https://cms.paypal.com/c2/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=marketing_c2/CNPayPalComparison&locale.x=zh_XC

---------------------------------------------------------------

What you do not understand is that Open-Transactions is a software library, like OpenSSL.

Calling OT a competitor to Ripple is like calling OpenSSL a competitor to Ripple.

We are talking about a software library... libraries are used by many different entities, for many different purposes.

Libraries are not in competition with any companies.

Companies are not in competition with any libraries.

Libraries are used to build things.

It is not my intention to sit here talking about Ripple, nor to badmouth them in any way. They are adding value to the digital finance space.

In fact I like the Ripple guys, and I love Fugger's concept.

I like it so much, that I wrote extensively about it in early 2012, in this document I shared with them back then: http://ft.vm.to/files/FT-thoughts.pdf

I hope they succeed! The same goes for Invictus Innovations, colored coins, Mastercoin, and a million other ventures. My goal here is to spread concepts and code, and to promote all entities who innovate in the digital finance space. May they succeed.

I do not have a poverty mentality, but an abundance mentality. I do not have an either/or mentality, but an integration mentality.

Open-Transactions is a fundamentally different thing.

-- If you have an "account balance" in OT, it is impossible for anyone except the user himself to change that balance. Is Ripple competing with OT on that concept?

-- If you have a balance on any OT server, the server will never need to send/receive any bank wires in any currency, nor maintain any bank accounts. Is Ripple competing with OT on that concept?

-- In Ripple, you trust your gateway to store any dollar reserves. But in OT, your client would access many servers, yet none of them store any reserves at all.

-- If you want to build software enabling various financial instruments (cheques, cash, dividends, stocks, basket currencies, smart contracts, recurring payments) then you could use OT to build it. For example, for making printed vouchers, or parking garage tickets, then you could use OT to build it. You could use OT for escrow with arbitration. You could send an OT payment to someone who has never installed OT. Is Ripple competing with OT on those concepts?

-- Ripple has a distributed order book. But in OT, the "order book" exists on the client-side. It's the client in OT that combines various order sources into a single book. OT is client-centric.

-- In Ripple, the ledger chain stores all transactions. But OT processes transactions without storing any history.

-- You are correct that OT also does Chaumian blinding, but to characterize it as a "blinding API" would be woefully inadequate.

===> These are not value-judgments. I am simply pointing out that you are comparing Apples and Oranges. Ripple is cool stuff, but it is not an alternative to OT. It has different goals, a different design philosophy, different functionality, and different uses based on different solutions. These things are not "either/or."

===> BTW, you seem to believe the "holy grail" is vaporware. But if you check the bounty thread, you can see fast progress is being made. Expect to see more updates in the coming days and weeks.

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:31:42 AM

If anyone wants to implement my original 2-phase-commit/non-blockchain Ripple protocol design, it's here:

http://archive.ripple-project.org/Protocol/Protocol

It's only based on IOUs and routing through a mutual credit network -- no trustless cryptocurrency involved.  And you'd need to give it a different name, of course Smiley

I've not had the mental bandwidth to follow the Ripple-against-the-world discussions as of late. However, I find it somewhat puzzling that the above comment went utterly unresponded to.

Perhaps I am just being trolled.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
bitcoinBull
Legendary

rippleFanatic

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:46:24 PM

If anyone wants to implement my original 2-phase-commit/non-blockchain Ripple protocol design, it's here:

It's only based on IOUs and routing through a mutual credit network -- no trustless cryptocurrency involved.  And you'd need to give it a different name, of course Smiley

I've not had the mental bandwidth to follow the Ripple-against-the-world discussions as of late. However, I find it somewhat puzzling that the above comment went utterly unresponded to.

Yes, it is somewhat puzzling. I wish I had something to say, but I'd have to read the original design. Maybe call it FuggerCoin? or MutualTrustTokens?  Tongue

I just can't get excited by a design/spec without an implementation. I'll stick with XRP for now, which is pushing 80 XRP/USD at the moment, led by dumping of CNY (gateway cap surged from CNY 1 million to CNY 1.4 million overnight).

Okurkabinladin

Activity: 574
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 06:41:56 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2017, 05:53:35 AM by Okurkabinladin

It's only based on IOUs and routing through a mutual credit network -- no trustless cryptocurrency involved.  And you'd need to give it a different name, of course Smiley

Yes, it is somewhat puzzling. I wish I had something to say, but I'd have to read the original design. Maybe call it FuggerCoin? or MutualTrustTokens?  Tongue

I just can't get excited by a design/spec without an implementation. I'll stick with XRP for now, which is pushing 80 XRP/USD at the moment, led by dumping of CNY (gateway cap surged from CNY 1 million to CNY 1.4 million overnight).

66xrp/USD now in western gateways  Smiley in China it´s closer to 50xrp/USD.

EDIT: I know, I am coming late to the party in the year of 2017, but finally we can all agree the XRP is not the future of cryptocurrency for value holders. Paradoxically, because it is way too stable, making it not so attractive for speculators. Also, it is not really anonymous. Sad story, bro.
bitcoinBull
Legendary

rippleFanatic

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 02:29:06 AM

Wow XRP broke the all-time-high. CNY gateway cap over CNY 2,000,000 and USD gateway cap over $1,000,000. record-breaking day  Grin Grin

beaconpcguru

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

Hello

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:03:04 AM

What all time high is being referred to? Spent on XRP? Traded? Volume?
bitcoinBull
Legendary

rippleFanatic

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:30:35 AM

XRP price, it peaked at 30 to the dollar (or $0.0333 per XRP). The old high was 50 to the dollar ($0.02), which hasn't been seen since June. The wall is building up at 38 now though, so I guess we'll get some consolidation now...

BittBurger

Activity: 924

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:43:06 AM

XRP price, it peaked at 30 to the dollar (or $0.0333 per XRP). The old high was 50 to the dollar ($0.02), which hasn't been seen since June. The wall is building up at 38 now though, so I guess we'll get some consolidation now...
Could be China.
Could be the fact that all Crypto's are making money now.
I poured a whopping $119 into Devcoin several months ago and purchased 2.5 million of them.
As of today, on a coin I thought could never appreciate in value, I've made $352 now.
If even Devcoin (unlimited coins, zero scarcity, etc) is going up, maybe it makes sense that Ripple will start too.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
bitcoinBull
Legendary

rippleFanatic

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:35:04 AM

Update: some whale seems to be chopping down the wall. It was $100k (over 4 million XRP) at 38. Continuous buying has cut it down to $23k now (874k XRP). A fraction of its former size.

tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 1408

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:53:27 AM

this is crazy.  but as long as you can make money trading xrp, why not?  right?  bitcoin was nothing a few years ago...  ripple could be something big too.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Okurkabinladin

Activity: 574
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 10:13:17 AM

Others considered me borderline insane for thinking that ripple will break new ATH before Christmas. I still sold out at 42xrp/USD, tripling of price in a week was just uncomfortable for me  Smiley still, more power to ripple.
BldSwtTrs (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:54:26 PM

I want to buy some XBT with my XRP.

Something I don't understand with Ripple:

When I log in my Ripple wallet I have 44,000 XRP. But when I try to make a deposit with Ripple at Bitstamp or Justcoin my balance show only 1,000 XRP and I can only deposit this 1,000 XRP. Why ?

I'm not sure I understood your question but could it be the trust line?
It could very well be that because I have no idea what is the trust line. What it is ?

XRP doesn't require any trust lines.  That's one of the things that makes it special within the network.  Bitstamp doesn't allow XRP deposits and honestly why would you?  Storing your XRP in your Ripple wallet is how you store it, without counter-party risk.  If you want to sell or buy XRP, you simply need go to the trade section of the client and change your issuer to Bitstamp or whomever you choose, for the specific currency pairs you're interested in.  That will give you access to their orderbook.
Thanks but how do I change the issuer to Bitstamp?
When I try to write "Bitstamp" it's written "not a valid adress or contact"
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: