Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:06:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sold 0.008 btc for over 11,000 USD at mtgox [Updated]  (Read 10817 times)
Andris

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 02:54:41 PM

I doubt it's only me have a negative balance. I curious about how the reputation of mtgox and dwolla will go after this issue.

mtGox? I don't know. Dwolla has called me personally and listened to my concerns and desire for features, I'm fairly confident about their future.

And yet everyone loves Dwolla but hates Paypal.

Oh yes, Paypal is so much better when it comes to chargebacks. /sarcasm

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
elggawf

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:00:45 PM

Oh yes, Paypal is so much better when it comes to chargebacks. /sarcasm

Paypal is what it is - everyone using it now should fully comprehend that until you get your money safely into a real banka ccount it it's not really your money... they should fully understand that Paypal is chargeback hell, particularly if you're selling "high risk" things/services.

Dwolla on the other hand claimed cash-like transactions, no chargeback concerns, etc... and it turned out to be bullshit. I'm almost willing to bet that the 25c transactions is bullshit too. I'm wondering if it's below-cost, that they're operating on venture capital and that they're just hoping to reach critical mass before the VC runs out and they have to up their charges.

Note that some parts of their site still say "no chargeback concerns" yet their support/PR people will happily tell you they've always had a process for filing disputes. Until they do something to demonstrate that their marketing hasn't been 100% bullshit, I'm not going to waste my time implementing their payment system into my billing system, though I do still use them for turning BTC into USD.

^_^
Andris

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:02:56 PM

Dwolla has stated up front from when I first heard about them that ACH chargebacks were possible.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:07:38 PM

huh, since when are bitcoins $137500?

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:11:51 PM

huh, since when are bitcoins $137500?

Either you're referring to the one  like 1 hour ago or you meant like 10 years later Grin
elggawf

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:15:54 PM

Dwolla has stated up front from when I first heard about them that ACH chargebacks were possible.

... and yet all their marketing stuff says the opposite. Landing them firmly in the bullshit, "as seen on TV" category.

I don't have a problem with chargebacks, or anything Dwolla has done. I actually like the service, and I still use it (sparingly). But you have to call bullshit when you see it.

^_^
bitbot

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:19:50 PM

why dont you setup a transfer from dwolla to your bank and hope it clears tomorrow

Anonymous BITCOIN Exchange: https://www.TRADEHILL.COM
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:26:38 PM

I have never got it, are you guys using Dwolla for the fear of disclosing your bank details to Mt.Gox? I am in UK and Gox would process my bank wire transfer(they have a domestic bank account) within 1-2 days.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
elggawf

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:31:00 PM

I have never got it, are you guys using Dwolla for the fear of disclosing your bank details to Mt.Gox? I am in UK and Gox would process my bank wire transfer(they have a domestic bank account) within 1-2 days.

I don't think there's a bank transfer option on MtGox, and SEPA transfers are 2% fees. Depending on what you transfer, 25c might be less than 2%.

^_^
joulesbeef

Activity: 476

moOo

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:32:09 PM

i believe that legally he should be able to keep the money

he sold bitcoins and got the money

you cant "legally" sell on a glitch.
Had an individual been a fool and accidently bought for that much.. he might have a case but not on a glitch, the money isnt his and he can be prosecuted.

mooo for rent
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:32:48 PM

As far as I can tell no one has anything to be concerned about with dwolla and mtgox unless they go do some silly shit like what OP is stating having done.  Lips sealed
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:47:03 PM

I don't think there's a bank transfer option on MtGox, and SEPA transfers are 2% fees. Depending on what you transfer, 25c might be less than 2%.

Hmmm.....GBP deposits are free in UK.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 04:41:25 PM

Wow!!! If only you had a whole bitcoin to sell at that moment instead of just 8 millies 0.0

Why did your balance go negative though?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
stsbrad

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Brad Willman, SSCP, LTCP, MCTS,SCE,BCE

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 04:44:16 PM

i believe that legally he should be able to keep the money

he sold bitcoins and got the money

you cant "legally" sell on a glitch.
Had an individual been a fool and accidently bought for that much.. he might have a case but not on a glitch, the money isnt his and he can be prosecuted.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 100% Correct. Glitches don't mean you can get rich legally. I work for a large financial institution and recently one of our ATM's had a 20 dollar bill cassette in the 5's slot and 5's in the 20. The customer hit the machine for an hour and took out THOUSANDS. Police were sent to his house, DA's office threatened prosecution and money was instantly returned. I think the same would apply here.
Xiong Zhuang (OP)

Activity: 102

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 05:02:24 PM

I will wait mtgox to post there announcement about the glitch.
MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 05:18:26 PM

I will wait mtgox to post there announcement about the glitch.

https://support.mtgox.com/entries/20323996-mt-gox-system-update-troubles
TiagoTiago

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 05:22:44 PM

So if someone pays for a BigMac with a 100 bill without the person nor the cashier noticing McDonald's must hold the extra change waiting to return it whenever the person presents themself?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Andris

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 05:33:51 PM

So if someone pays for a BigMac with a 100 bill without the person nor the cashier noticing McDonald's must hold the extra change waiting to return it whenever the person presents themself?

I know this is how it worked when I was in retail.
Mt.Fun

Activity: 75

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 05:34:11 PM

I'm sure McDonald's would give the person their change if the cashier made a mistake.

[  EOT  ]      FIRST DECENTRALIZED GAME NETWORK        [  EOT  ]
ICO: JULY 25
        │        READ OUR WHITEPAPER
████████││   REDDIT   ││   TELEGRAM   ││   TWITTER   ││   MEDIUM   ││   WEBSITE   ││████████
TiagoTiago

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 05:41:08 PM

What if they had an automated vending machine like cashier and the person didn't noticed a hundred bill fell into the slot folded in such a way that it skipped the bill reader?

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: