Print  
Author Topic: .  (Read 13543 times)
MaxwellsDemon

Activity: 187
Merit: 109

Converting information into power since 1867

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 01:02:24 AM

Then you contradict yourself. You say that you like to read books. Your motivation to invest in bitcoins shows that you not only like to read books but you analyse what you read as well. Then you should know that the education is a very good investment.

Where do I start?

Nah, never mind.

I agree with what you didn't say... I've spent the last decade in academia, only to realize that PhDs aren't really worth the paper they're printed on  Wink

We're hunting for Leviathan, and Bitcoin is our harpoon.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
David M

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 01:03:55 AM

You have some serious balls for a 13 year old :-)

I sincerely hope this works well for you.  Good luck.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 01:04:51 AM

In the long run it may very well have been a good investment. I would recommend any (adult) friend to consider buying right now.

Since you are a minor, lectures are not optional:

[lecture]
You should have convinced your parents instead of doing it behind their backs. Would I have been your dad, I would have been mad and proud at the same time. These kinds of decisions are for adults. Period.
[/lecture]

+1

he's gotta start trying to be like an adult sometime Wink
might as well be with Bitcoin!

cheers to you, my friend. my humble slip of advice, think for yourself, think things through to an end, and develop this tendency as soon as you can.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 01:11:46 AM

i've learnt more from youtube, and reading than i have at school.

This is more important than you probably realize.  Remember this when you're about to drop the bucks to attend a fancy college.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 01:26:04 AM

You are 13 and have a few years so you need to plan for the possibility that bitcoin prices could crash.

I am uber bullish but you need to only invest would you can afford to lose. A college education is not something you should risk losing.

If you keep your money in bitcoins be sure to work hard in school and make sure that even if you have no money for college that you
can qualify for scholarships because of your good grades.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
bee7

Activity: 574
Merit: 523

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 01:45:10 AM

well i'm mature for my age  Grin.

i like to read books. plus i'm not interested in computer games, like my friends. i'm a bit of an oddball tbh.   Roll Eyes

Then you contradict yourself. You say that you like to read books. Your motivation to invest in bitcoins shows that you not only like to read books but you analyse what you read as well. Then you should know that the education is a very good investment.

hmmm i don't know. i just want to be successful. i like to read because its knowledge which is important to me.
i've learnt more from youtube, and reading than i have at school.

but what i want to do more than anything is travel the world. i want to see the world with my own eyes. i'm tired of sitting in classrooms.

i really hope bitcoin is successful.  Huh

Then keep in mind that you will never have so much free time to read books after you enter the 'adult' life as you have now. But keep reading.
RationalSpeculator

Activity: 294

This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 01:45:47 AM

You are 13 and have a few years so you need to plan for the possibility don't need to worry that bitcoin prices could crash.

I am uber bullish but you need to only invest would you can afford to lose invest enough so it makes a difference. A college education is not something you should risk losing. An opportunity like this is not something you should risk losing.

If you keep your money in bitcoins be sure to work hard in school you won't have to work hard in school and make sure that even if you have no money for college that you can qualify for scholarships because of your good grades. and will be able to travel the world thanks to being financially independent.  Cool

Unbelievable.

Just had to bluntly correct that.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 01:50:26 AM

The key here is that this is a college fund and the OP is 13 so we are looking at a hold of 5 years before the funds are spent. The choice the OP makes in going to college or not is irrelevant. What really matters here is the 5 year time to hold the BTC. Now let me make this clear I believe there is a very good chance that the BTC/USD rate will drop by 50% or more is the next days or weeks; however I also believe that there is an even greater chance that the BTC/USD rate would be over 10,000 and possibly over 100,000 by the time the OP reaches age 18.

So the downside is that an 18 year old is short 4200 USD. 4200 USD is a drop in the bucket towards a college education and most 18 year olds can easily earn that kind of money in a job over a few months. The upside on the other hand is that the 12 BTC would be worth 1.2 million USD. Not only is this more than enough to pay for a college education and medical or legal school but  the OP will have a fair amount of funds left over to help his parents should they get into financial trouble in an economic collapse.

From a financial point of view I consider this a sound decision but only if the OP keeps these funds in BTC until the OP's 18th birthday

Should the OP have asked permission from his parents? On the surface the answer may be yes; however this is a situation where asking for forgiveness after the fact makes more sense than seeking permission beforehand. I am 56 years old I must say this is a situation where I find myself trusting the judgement of a 13 year old, the OP, over that of someone in their 30s or 40s, the parents. Why because a 13 year old has nothing invested in the current economic system, while the parents are likely at the stage in their lives where they have the most invested in the current economic system. We most also remember that the parents made the choice of providing exclusive signing authority over the account to the OP. The key here is that both the OP and the parents must be prepared to take full responsibility for their actions regardless of the outcome and respect each other views on the matter even if they disagree.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 01:56:54 AM

You are 13 and have a few years so you need to plan for the possibility don't need to worry that bitcoin prices could crash.

I am uber bullish but you need to only invest would you can afford to lose invest enough so it makes a difference. A college education is not something you should risk losing. An opportunity like this is not something you should risk losing.

If you keep your money in bitcoins be sure to work hard in school you won't have to work hard in school and make sure that even if you have no money for college that you can qualify for scholarships because of your good grades. and will be able to travel the world thanks to being financially independent.  Cool

Unbelievable.

Heh

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
chrsjrcj

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:02:42 AM

Based on your writing and words you don't look 13 to me.

You'd be surprised.
the joint
Legendary

Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:03:45 AM

Have you discovered the joys of masturbation yet?

You should get perma-banned for this.
amadeo

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:11:07 AM

Maybe this kid will become more famous than the guy who bought a pizza for 10,000 BTC. But this time in a positive way!
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:11:25 AM

+1

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
johncarpe64

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:17:14 AM

so, i'm not that old, about 13, i don't have a job and i don't have a lot of savings to invest.......

after a huge amount of research, and in a moment of madness i withdraw from my college fund, which is technically mine although its my parents who pay into into it.

i've managed to buy 12 bitcoins. i'll be holding these indefinitely, even if the btc price drops 90%. no trading, although i may sell x amount to cover my expenses if things go well.

please reassure me i've done good?

and is 12 btc a good position?

and no lectures.

thanks

Now, secure your computer and your wallet before you lost it to trojans Smiley
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:20:41 AM

It seems you haven't discovered the joys of masturbation yet. Sad

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:25:20 AM

Sorry to break this but it seems we're gonna crash... upwards

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:30:04 AM

Unbelievable.

I don't think you are responsible to say these to a 13 years old young man. It's not funny. Money is not the only thing in one's life. It will be dangerous for a young man to think he can do anything without hard working after being rich, IMHO.
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:35:20 AM

Sorry to break this but it seems we're gonna crash... upwards

My CFD shorts just got stopped out. I have a funny feeling that our 13 year old OP may not only have made the right long term call but also the right short term call.

vokain
Legendary

Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 02:37:10 AM

Unbelievable.

I don't think you are responsible to say these to a 13 years old young man. It's not funny. Money is not the only thing in one's life.

Go to college, a relevant one and a fun one!!! trust me college is worth it a lot more when you don't have to worry about tuition etc and what you have to be in order to "get a job" in "the real world" Smiley

you'll meet the greatest people ever, people who'll be there for you the rest of your life if you let them. At the same time you will learn a lot about yourself and what you could be doing to be an Agent of the Singularity one day Wink
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:37:28 AM

so, i'm not that old, about 13, i don't have a job and i don't have a lot of savings to invest.......

after a huge amount of research, and in a moment of madness i withdraw from my college fund, which is technically mine although its my parents who pay into into it.

i've managed to buy 12 bitcoins. i'll be holding these indefinitely, even if the btc price drops 90%. no trading, although i may sell x amount to cover my expenses if things go well.

please reassure me i've done good?

and is 12 btc a good position?

and no lectures.

thanks

Honestly, I think it wasn't a smart thing to use your future college money for that without the consent of your parents. I am superbullish on bitcoin and I believe it holds a bright future, but many things can happen and there is always a real possibility your bitcoins will become worthless. What will you do if suddenly your college fund becomes worthless? There's a reason why many people advise others not to invest more than you can afford to lose. Can you afford to lose this? I'm not sure how rich your parents are, but I'm sure they won't be too pleased when they find out. Oh well either way it will be a good life lesson for you to learn, I have to admit that if I was 13 and learned about bitcoin I would probably try to scramble for money everywhere to buy some. Tongue I wouldn't have gone all in at the current price though, I would have bought my bitcoins slowly over the course of several months to make sure I didn't go all in at the top of this huge rally.

thanks

i don't want to go to college. if the shtf, i'll get a job at 16. and maybe travel.

i think this is a wise choice if done property however you are choosing the non conventional path as such it will be the harder path. consequently you do not have the option of waiting around for your future to come to you. If you chose this path you MUST become an adult now, today, not tomorrow, you have to start building real skills with real value granting yourself real human capital. If you aren't ready to crack down and start building real human capital today, if you just want to joke around and play yu-gi-oh with your friends and wait for the future to come to you, than you should probably not be trying to break the mold, you should probably just go to college. That is the cost, but the benefit is that when you are grown and your friends are all miserable cogs in the machine you will be ruling the world (in a metaphorical sense of course libertarians don't rule things other than themselves).

also another thing i think is important and i don't think you will ever hear it from another adult anywhere. if this is really the life you want than good grades offer you literally no utility. as such every single point above 70 is energy and effort wasted, energy and effort that could have been used to build real human capital. if this is the path you want, than all things being equal, you shouldn't be putting any effort into making good grades. however THIS ONLY APPLIES IF you are 100% dedicated to this path. if there is any hesitation, any laziness, any lack of discipline, any yu-gi-oh playing (other than maybe an hour a day or something, every human needs SOME brakes), than you better not ruin your future by flunking out of high school for no reason.

anyway this is an off topic rant i know, but i think its important because you Aren't going to find very many adults who support a decision like that, so since you happened to stumble across one i thought i should speak up.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: