Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:12:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok, What is the safest, most sensible way for Americans to buy BTC these days???  (Read 1981 times)
HappyScamp (OP)

Activity: 314
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 01:30:12 AM

THat's the question... pretty busy so I don't have time to follow everything....

I appreciate your help and this excellent forum!

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jandur

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 03:08:16 AM

Depends on what your intent is. But Coinbase is easy and simple. The issue is that they will charge your bank account (which is reversible), so they wait 7 days before they deliver your coins. You will get your coins for the price you put in your order however. After 30 days you can get level 2 verified and buy coins instantly.

Also, first time buyers sometimes get flagged as "high risk" and their purchases get cancelled. It's annoying. But anyone, once the kinks are ironed out it's smooth sailing. Otherwise you're going to have to deal with Localbitcoins or maybe wiring money to Bitstamp.
Izerian

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 03:10:59 AM

Otherwise you're going to have to deal with Localbitcoins or maybe wiring money to Bitstamp.

I thought the same until I tried international wire transferring the funds to Bitstamp. Every single local bank charges 40+ USD just to do the transfer and that's after a 'verification' wait period.

Localbitcoins seems like the fastest if you don't mind a leap of faith.
ralree

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 04:45:10 AM

Locally, face to face, at a mall or some other public place.
Subject says "safest" as the first qualification.  Buying face-to-face is the least safe way to buy.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 06:23:24 AM

Subject says "safest" as the first qualification.  Buying face-to-face is the least safe way to buy.

Unless you do it at a private location, then good quality surveillance and home field advantage defensive techniques can be used by the occupant, and if the person coming to the location gets attacked by the occupant, they can have a friend waiting in the car on an open radio channel ready to back them up/call police. If the location seems sketch when you drive up, you drive away.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:28:59 AM

Depends on what your intent is. But Coinbase is easy and simple. The issue is that they will charge your bank account (which is reversible), so they wait 7 days before they deliver your coins. You will get your coins for the price you put in your order however. After 30 days you can get level 2 verified and buy coins instantly.

Also, first time buyers sometimes get flagged as "high risk" and their purchases get cancelled. It's annoying. But anyone, once the kinks are ironed out it's smooth sailing. Otherwise you're going to have to deal with Localbitcoins or maybe wiring money to Bitstamp.

i've been hearing about this.. what are the parameters for being a high risk? i would hate to buy coins low and then have a rally.. only to receive an e-mail of "sorry, you are a high risk."

for those of you who sell/trade on coinbase: do you actually plan to report your selling for IRS purposes?
sushi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

ASIC Myth Buster

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:31:34 AM

Safe way must be Bitstamp.net and Coinbase.com. 

As a first time coin buyer, Bitstamp will get you the coins faster than Coinbase.  Coinbase takes not just 7 days but about 10 days before they release the first coin purchase, IF THEY DON'T REVERSE IT during the wait period.

If you can't wait for a week to 10 days, then another option would be...

Localbitcoins.com can be scary but if you do the homework and the sellers give you all the contact info, at least if the seller scams you, you can call 911 on the spot or report him/her to the police.  (Problem is it's cash based, so if you get mugged while waiting for the seller, you are done  Sad

>>> PM me for New ASIC Miner's Info.  We will go check it out <<<
FEEL GENEROUS TODAY?  ==> 1AHNusc3BQA2QJCokySAQ1Qtymr1ZyAG6P
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2013, 08:42:32 AM

Subject says "safest" as the first qualification.  Buying face-to-face is the least safe way to buy.

Are you kidding me? What is unsafe about meeting someone in a busy coffee shop or mall food court?

If you study crime and such, you see that:
Surveillance cameras are usually shit, with low resolution showing little more than a humanoid blob
Witnesses are shit as they almost never have photographic memory and/or the artistic skills to give a "beyond a reasonable doubt" ID of criminals
Most anyone without a badge is unwilling to risk getting involved
and worst of all...
Effective self-defense is prohibited in most public venues around the world, even if a not insignificant number would want to help without being suicidal about it

If being in public were so safe, the vast majority of criminals wouldn't commit their crimes there with impunity.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:09:07 PM

Coinbase.com, very easy to use, links straight up to your checking account, it's a US based company and has 2 factor authentication option built in.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
Robert Lewandowski

Activity: 420

Bayern

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:52:04 PM

Coinbase.com, very easy to use, links straight up to your checking account, it's a US based company and has 2 factor authentication option built in.

But how safe is it to link up your bank account? Some people dont even like to link up their Paypal with it.
moderate

Activity: 98

nearly dead

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 07:31:44 PM

But how safe is it to link up your bank account? Some people dont even like to link up their Paypal with it.

That is a new record, I can't think of anything online more unsafe than that. Even intentionally installing a couple of viruses is safer than that, the cryptolocker guys need some lessons from coinbase.
Robert Lewandowski

Bayern

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:44:57 PM

That is a new record, I can't think of anything online more unsafe than that. Even intentionally installing a couple of viruses is safer than that, the cryptolocker guys need some lessons from coinbase.

So by reading what you said youre saying Coinbase is super secure but linking your bank account is not a good idea...
moderate

nearly dead

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:47:50 PM

So by reading what you said youre saying Coinbase is super secure but linking your bank account is not a good idea...

No idea how you concluded that I said coinbase is super secure, care to explain ?
Robert Lewandowski

Bayern

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:51:39 PM

No idea how you concluded that I said coinbase is super secure, care to explain ?

At first i concluded from the first part that you're telling me that linking my bank account to Coinbase or any other BTC site is unsafe. Then you say "cryptolocker guys need some lessons from coinbase" which i understand as Coinbase is secure enough to metaphorically teach the crypto guys how to do their job. Haha, no worries though
moderate

nearly dead

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:53:20 PM

At first i concluded from the first part that you're telling me that linking my bank account to Coinbase or any other BTC site is unsafe. Then you say "cryptolocker guys need some lessons from coinbase" which i understand as Coinbase is secure enough to metaphorically teach the crypto guys how to do their job. Haha, no worries though

In case you missed it, and you did, cryptolocker is a virus (look it up).
leogdesouza

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:17:25 PM

How does this face-to-face transactions are done? I mean, OK, I'll bring USD 500 and you'll give me the equivalent in BTC. But how? A mobile application?
Ruzka

Activity: 826

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:35:46 AM

I just use coinbase, that or local bitcoins probably.

Haidang1796

Activity: 84

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:26:55 PM

I believe it's by the middle person. It's not safe for face to face

chaosknight

Activity: 868

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:50:18 AM

How does this face-to-face transactions are done? I mean, OK, I'll bring USD 500 and you'll give me the equivalent in BTC. But how? A mobile application?

Yes but what can you do if the people do the double spend technique after that?
leogdesouza

Activity: 42

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 04:23:16 PM

double spend technique? What is that?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: