Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:06:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: when all bitcoins are mined, then what  (Read 2419 times)
4u2

February 10, 2011, 07:11:54 PM

When all bitcoins are mined, why would people set their computer to do computational work required in the p2p network?  Are bitcoin owners required to pay transaction fees in the future to reward for this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 07:31:00 PM

When all bitcoins are mined, why would people set their computer to do computational work required in the p2p network?  Are bitcoin owners required to pay transaction fees in the future to reward for this?

It is presumed that transaction fees will be large enough that fees will provide the incentive to support the network and verify transactions, after the per-block BTC rewards reduce to zero.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 07:51:32 PM

When all bitcoins are mined, why would people set their computer to do computational work required in the p2p network?

When all bitcoins are mined, then the big miners will probably move out of the market (if the transaction fees won't be large enough).
If big GPU/clusters miners move out, then difficulty will drop so much, that you willl be able to generate blocks easily using a single multicore CPU.

Are bitcoin owners required to pay transaction fees in the future to reward for this?

Not necessarily. If they won't be paying, and big miners exit market, then it will be very easy to generate blocks.
I think the market will self-balance automatically, and determine the best transaction fee.

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 07:55:28 PM

When all bitcoins are mined...
This will happen around a hundred years from now, by the way.
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 09:36:02 PM

It is presumed that transaction fees will be large enough that fees will provide the incentive to support the network and verify transactions, after the per-block BTC rewards reduce to zero.

As for I understand, BTC market value should be proportional to the work involved in getting more bitcoins mined (per block difficulty).
So, per-block rewards will stay always balanced.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 11:23:27 PM

As for I understand, BTC market value should be proportional to the work involved in getting more bitcoins mined (per block difficulty).

Note use of "should be"  In reality, BTC market value is determined by BTC supply and demand.  If there is no demand, difficulty is irrelevant, and mining profitability plummets.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
db

Activity: 279
Merit: 261

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 11:40:17 PM

Note use of "should be"  In reality, BTC market value is determined by BTC supply and demand.  If there is no demand, difficulty is irrelevant, and mining profitability plummets.

And if there is high demand coin prices will rise and competition will drive up mining difficulty. The price of bitcoins determines the mining difficulty, not the other way round.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 12:05:35 AM

There is also the consideration that in the future, wealthy pools of bitcoins, who maybe be sitting on an equivalent value by then to thousands of tons of gold, have a vested in interest in protecting their bitcoin nominal wealth by contributing compute power to the network.

It seems self-referential but that is where the incentives commonly lie also in banking and finance ... it is in the nature of money.

barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 12:27:43 AM

I presume that transaction fees will be rewarded in greater amounts to people who contribute greater processing power?

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
jib

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 12:38:25 AM

I presume that transaction fees will be rewarded in greater amounts to people who contribute greater processing power?

The fee from a transaction is awarded to whoever generates the block that includes the transaction. People who contribute more power will generate more blocks and thus receive more fees.
ledskof

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 07:02:06 AM

but will it still be profitable all the way up to that mark?  Or will the miners drop out much sooner than that?
Local

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 07:41:45 AM

but will it still be profitable all the way up to that mark?  Or will the miners drop out much sooner than that?

It isn't all or nothing and there is a built in auto-adjuster. If it becomes unprofitable then the miners with the highest costs will drop out. This will decrease the difficulty and make mining more profitable for the rest.
ledskof

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 12:08:48 AM

Ah ok, I didn't realize that is how it works.  I thought the difficulty didn't drop.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 07:08:48 AM

Ah ok, I didn't realize that is how it works.  I thought the difficulty didn't drop.

Difficulty automatically adjusts to how many mining rigs is out there.
This is very well thought through.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: