Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:18:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you keep your mnemonic phrases?  (Read 1525 times)
napoleoni1

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 05:56:03 AM

I might be dumb, but i keep my mnemonic phrases in the notepad (physical one).
However i'm considering to use cloud for this.
Why not ?
As long as you keep your credentials and password safe, you completely ok with it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ghost424

Activity: 630
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 01:00:07 PM

Mnemonic phrases are a pain to be kept. Sometimes when they are needed, they must be input the same way that it was given to you. For me, I personally screen capture where the mnemonic phrase can be seen and copy paste it into a blank notepad. I also keep the file in folders where i can access because Mnemonic phrases can be used to access personal information and other wallets.
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2145

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 01:20:18 PM

Currently I just store them on pieces of paper, but I plan to encrypt them either with one-time pad or with some obfuscation algorithm. I also have memorized all my current seeds and repeat them a few times per day, so in case of some hazard (like when there was a fire near my house a few months ago) I would be able to restore my seeds from my memory. But this is only my second plan, since memory is so unreliable.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
shanyuan01

Activity: 4

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 04:45:46 AM

written in random order on paper wallet, keep order code backed up encrypted just incase my brain fails me one day
hgsteknoloji

Activity: 196
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 07:26:11 AM

Maybe use a Song with some numbers could help to remember It...

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
boulderchain

Activity: 59
Merit: 5

View Profile
June 11, 2018, 04:10:07 PM

Interesting ideas.

I think the best way would be to store them in an offline password safe and store the file on different offline devices, also on different places.

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅[Airdrop]✈✈✈ (https://privcy.io/)
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
June 12, 2018, 12:23:38 AM

I always put it to my email. I save it in my drafts and applying some secret code to the phrase just like adding some letters on it so that if ever my email was hack. They will not use it since it was wrong and it is very hard to determine what is the character that it makes wrong. Trust me, No one can use it but just remember what and where do you put the additional character.

People doing this are insane. You should consider all email providers as NSAware, the hosts themselves probably can ready any email they want. If I had to choose one I would at least use something decent like Protonmail which supposedly it's all encrypted and they can't access your mail. Also log in through a Linux live DVD to guarantee your OS host isn't compromised, and do not store the entire seed. I haven't done the math but I would at least try to remember the last 4 words, or two first and two last, and that is already a compromise.
SHIFX

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 12, 2018, 01:37:02 AM

i use to keep away from internet
shenhouzi

Activity: 18

View Profile
June 12, 2018, 02:55:09 AM

Using digital methods to backup is a good choice. Of course, you must have this digital technology.
f3tus

Activity: 317
Merit: 275

View Profile
June 12, 2018, 10:08:22 PM

Currently I just store them on pieces of paper, but I plan to encrypt them either with one-time pad or with some obfuscation algorithm.
https://github.com/mifunetoshiro/bip39_obfuscator
geldum
Copper Member

Activity: 67

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2018, 10:57:13 PM

remember it

put it divided in iron cards, give it to close ppl, one person alone knows order by color of cards and he owns no card
Hamzahaddane

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 12:34:24 AM

Since other posters already suggested good ideas, I'd like to share one sort of "unorthodox" way of storing your mnemonic phrases.

Memorize it. Yes, you heard that right. A 12-word recovery seed is a lot easier to memorize that most people thought(though memorizing 24-word seed is still possible, just significantly harder). But I understand that this is definitely not for anyone.
This is very wrong because you can easily forget it
yes, memorize is not a good way, maybe u memorize it now, but if u do not use it, maybe a month later u forget it.
I often split it in two parts, one parts save in difirrent USB drive storages and the other parts wirte in papers and save in discrets place only i and my family know.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
Forsyth Jones

Activity: 1162
Merit: 617

Press F for Leo

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2018, 05:29:22 PM

If you save mnemonic in keepass with your configured password and play in a container file of veracrypt I think it would be as safe as saving the wallet.dat file. Of course as long as u do it on a desktop that you know is safe. because leaving the mnemonic in a place that you think is safe written on a paper might find this mnemonic and steal your funds.

airbet 
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

▄████▄▄▄██████▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████▀▀▀▀████
██████████████
▀███▀███████▄██
██████████▄███
██████████████
███████████████
███████████████
██████████████
█████▐████████
██████▀███████▀
▄███████████████▄
████████████████
█░██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████░█░███████
████████████████
█████████████████
██████████████░█
████████████████
▀███████████████▀
██▄▄▄
████████▄▄
██████▀▀████▄
██████▄░░████▄
██████████████
████████░░▀███▌
░████████▄▄████
██████████████▌
███░░░█████████
█████████░░░██▀
░░░███████████▀
██████░░░██▀
░░▀▀███▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
 PLAY NOW 
asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
June 17, 2018, 05:46:32 PM

OK, this would sound noobish but I'm interested to know how other people keep the mnemonic phrase generated by the wallet. I do have the wallets secured with a pw and backed up (still not enough to warrant a hardware wallet) but I also have the passphrases handwritten in paper (someone said be wary of printers) and stashed somewhere but I'm wondering if there's a better way to keep them.

I don't know any cryptography but I'm thinking of shuffling the words rather than writing them down in order. Like a 12x12 grid where I'd spread them out in certain patterns and then finished with filler words. Since it's no longer as straight-forward should anyone get their hands on it, I think it would finally be safer to keep digital copies of it. Any suggestions?

i don't have my mnemonic phrases on my pc. I have only on paper, in 2 copies.
I have hided them in two different point of my house.

I don't know if it is safe enought..
Forsyth Jones

Activity: 1162
Merit: 617

Press F for Leo

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2018, 08:25:10 PM

i don't have my mnemonic phrases on my pc. I have only on paper, in 2 copies.
I have hided them in two different point of my house.

I don't know if it is safe enought..
only two copies? no, and encrypt this, try to know about bip39 encryption you do not even need to change your recovery phrase

GitHub: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0039.mediawiki
bitcoinwiki: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mnemonic_phrase#Two-Factor_Mnemonic_Phrases

airbet 
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

▄████▄▄▄██████▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████▀▀▀▀████
██████████████
▀███▀███████▄██
██████████▄███
██████████████
███████████████
███████████████
██████████████
█████▐████████
██████▀███████▀
▄███████████████▄
████████████████
█░██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████░█░███████
████████████████
█████████████████
██████████████░█
████████████████
▀███████████████▀
██▄▄▄
████████▄▄
██████▀▀████▄
██████▄░░████▄
██████████████
████████░░▀███▌
░████████▄▄████
██████████████▌
███░░░█████████
█████████░░░██▀
░░░███████████▀
██████░░░██▀
░░▀▀███▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
 PLAY NOW 
toppo

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 05:18:15 AM

OK, this would sound noobish but I'm interested to know how other people keep the mnemonic phrase generated by the wallet. I do have the wallets secured with a pw and backed up (still not enough to warrant a hardware wallet) but I also have the passphrases handwritten in paper (someone said be wary of printers) and stashed somewhere but I'm wondering if there's a better way to keep them.

I don't know any cryptography but I'm thinking of shuffling the words rather than writing them down in order. Like a 12x12 grid where I'd spread them out in certain patterns and then finished with filler words. Since it's no longer as straight-forward should anyone get their hands on it, I think it would finally be safer to keep digital copies of it. Any suggestions?

As per i Concern the best way to to keep your passphrases

1 - write in a paper and give it to your family member to keep safe

2-  keep it on pen drive with a pass and don't forget to tell password to your family

piterpie

Activity: 280
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 09:07:51 AM

To safely secured my personal data like mnemonic phrase, login username and password, 2fa secret code, I always created a google docs. And i compressed it through winrar with a strong password and saved to my usd flash drive. Thats how i safely secured my personal data. I hope it will help you Sir.
Your method is very safe. I applied your method to accounts on all exchanges that I frequently use. Sure the hacker will never be able to hack into my account
Driggers95

Activity: 279
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 09:09:25 AM

I regularly record all the things such as account name, password, security question and private key on google driver. It is also extremely safe and secure

QDAO USDQ     |     Platinum QDAO StableCoins: USDQ KRWQ CNYQ JPYQ
█▀   $1MLN BOUNTY POOL   / / / JOIN / / /   ▀█
WHITEPAPER           FACEBOOK           TWITTER           TELEGRAM           ANN THREAD
hubballi

Activity: 882
Merit: 297

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 09:25:06 AM

my theory is very simple, i kept my seed mnemonic phrases in a note where all my account details are their so that tommorrow if suddenly anything happen to me my family should be in easy to find my all saving details so that how much effort i have put should not go wasted. Even i have uploaded all my details in a email id which i only use it for this purpose and it is also protected with 2fa. This is my basic setup to secure my all secret details

pickledmuffin

Activity: 89

View Profile
June 21, 2018, 10:07:06 AM

Good old paper. 3 copies, handwritten and cross checked. 3 seperate locations off site.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: