Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:18:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I recognise GPU0, GPU1...  (Read 183 times)
xberg (OP)

Activity: 159
Merit: 5

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 04:02:55 PM

Hi,
I'm debugging my miners. When I get an error "GPU0 openCL error" or "GPU 1: 0 H/s", how can I tell which card GPU0 or GPU1 is if all cards in a rig are identical?
I have the *feeling* GPU 0 is the big 16x PCIe slot closest to the CPU, GPU 1 is the other big 16x PCIe slot, but I'm not even sure of that.

I'm running Win 10.
thanks
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 04:16:30 PM

It depends on the Miner. Claymore's miners index the cards according to how they are listed in GPU-Z or Afterburner. Some older miners like sgminer or ccminer list them in different orders. The easiest way I've found to find out which card corresponds to each index is turn the fans up and down on each card to make note which index it's being listed under in the miner. Another way is to disable cards in the miner one by one and see which one's aren't heating up.
m.vina

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 04:16:56 PM

Assuming you are using claymore's miner, use -di 0. This limits your mining to GPU0 only. Then just see which card has fans spinning wildly compared to other. You ca also then use other hardware monitoring tools like overdriventool, afterburner, or gpu-z to see which GPU has higher temps, fan speed, etc.

M O Z O   //     $31M RAISED!     PRE-LISTED on Coinrail     $450k Bounty Tradable on 8/8/18
●            ●                       VERSACE & 38,000 Stores are accepting MOZO TOKENS                       ●            ●
●            ●            WHITEPAPER        MEDIUM        TELEGRAM        ANN THREAD            ●            ●
xberg (OP)

Activity: 159
Merit: 5

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 04:47:02 PM

It depends on the Miner. Claymore's miners index the cards according to how they are listed in GPU-Z or Afterburner. Some older miners like sgminer or ccminer list them in different orders. The easiest way I've found to find out which card corresponds to each index is turn the fans up and down on each card to make note which index it's being listed under in the miner. Another way is to disable cards in the miner one by one and see which one's aren't heating up.
Thanks Vann!
Great tips. I had tried the fan method but that did not give me 100% certainty, the cards being quite close together.
I will try the disabling and heat sensing method.
Thanks.
NiklasFalk

Activity: 94
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 05:32:02 PM

You can also do the homework of figuring ut the PCI bus numbering assigned to you slots on the mobo.
Pressing "s" in Claymore will give stats over the cards and list the GPU0 GPU1 etc in the same order as the PCI Bus number order.

At least in my case (GigabyteZ270PD3 and using SMOS) the PCI Bus number assignment have been stable (but it shifts if you add things as M2 adapters or splitter cards).
After knowing the order of Bus Assignments, you can then route the cables so the cards in the rig is i the same order as the GPU0, GPU1, ...
I was worth the time for me since I know can pull e.g. GPU4 when it kills the whole rig without performing an investigation.
edwardceng

Activity: 266
Merit: 50

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 06:47:09 PM

Thanks Vann!
Great tips. I had tried the fan method but that did not give me 100% certainty, the cards being quite close together.

I guessed you are using afterburner to increase your GPU fan speed, and you have the same series of GPU (at least 2 or 3) It must be, this option "Syncronize setting for similar graphics processors" checked. That's why your GPU that has the same series (similar graphics processors) affected by one of GPU setting.

smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 06:51:09 PM

Yeah, use MSI Afterburner and disable this "Synchronise GPUs" setting. Now start ramping up the fan speed 1 by 1 and make marks what card corresponds to what number Smiley

NetopyrMan

Activity: 144
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 15, 2018, 08:11:01 PM

gpu 0 is physicaly in primary pcie slot (x16)
gpu1 is just under cpu and it goes to the bottom of mainboard (so in common stances from cpu to bottom 1-0-2-3-4-5 .....)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: