Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:11:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcing BidBitcoins.com. NEW Auction Site like E-Bay - All Sales in Bitcoins  (Read 4243 times)
BidBitcoins (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 09:22:27 PM

Hello everyone,
   I would like to introduce a new website and pet project of mine.  http://bidbitcoins.com If it takes off and people like it, I’ll make it better and better as I can afford to. It’s basically a buyers and sellers marketplace like E-Bay but all sale are conducted in bitcoins only. I’m almost done with the site setup and I should be ready to take customers registrations starting tomorrow, Aug. 1    So what is Bid Bitcoins? I invite people to check out the site.
*I intend to make it a competing site to the largest online auction site in as many ways as possible. The benefits will be:
*No Chargebacks unless agreed to by both parties.
*Anonymity from banks in all transactions.
*No banking fees for money transfers to sellers from buyers.
*Every auction or item placed for sale and sold through Bid Bitcoins supports the whole bitcoin community and helps further bitcoins acceptance into the marketplace.
*Much less fraud potential for both parties. Credit cards lend themselves to fraud by their very nature, as card numbers can easily be stolen and used to make purchases, than mailed to themselves at unwitting victims addresses.
*Users/Members accounts with money cannot be frozen due to “suspected” fraud.
*No user credit card data is stored onsite. Anyone who hacks the site will not have  access to accounts of any kind and therefore cannot cause financial damage directly to any user by theft.

What kind of features does Bid Bitcoins have?  Here is the full list:
* Currency of all goods and services denominated in Bitcoin
* All Merchants will be required to accept Bitcoin, although other arrangements can be made offsite.
* All forms of auction including Dutch Buy it Outright, Reserve Price, Reverse Auctions, Wanted Ads.
* 1 Day, 3 Days, 7 Day Days, 14 Days, and 30 Day auction choices.
* Make  Offer  Options.
* First Bidder Auctions
* Select Starting Price
*  Define Offer Acceptance range
* Swap Offers Option
* Upload up to 3 Free images and 6 images total.
* Auto Relist
* Batch Uploads
* Personal Store Options. Basic Store 100% Free
* Block Users
* Postage Calculation Setup
* Reputation / Comments / Feedback
* Preferred Seller Features
* User Enabled Skin Changes
* Combined Purchase Invoices
* Ask Seller a Question / Member Messaging

Now, I’ve decided for this to be a personal hobby project for now. If it becomes widely used and accepted, I may change it into a business, file and all that. But for now, it’s a n experiment, and no more.

Since I wanted to site to be closest to the true spirit of bitcoin, I decided I did not want to accept money at all for the services, and it will all be done in bitcoin. This means there is no way for me to identify people who use the site without either taking credit card and drivers license info myself or having people email in their paperwork to prove who they are. Instead I opted for using a 3rd party service called Trufina located at http://www.trufina.com – They are completely unrelated to Bid Bitcoins.com. As a matter of fact, I only recently stumbled upon them, signed up and found I approve of their service enough to incorporate it into the site. They charge a flat one-time fee of $5.00 for their service to sign up. That’s the downside. The upside is, that we’ll give you $5.00 in bitcoin credit towards your fees on the site.

I intend to launch the site for FREE USE for 3 Months, starting on Aug. 1. This is to help everyone get acquainted with it without risk and for me to get important feedback from the members on how to make improvements and for me to fix all potential problems. I do appreciate the feedback and help.
The only services that will cost are enhanced auction services such as Home Page featured, highlighted, bold text, and extra categories. Those all cost just a small fee. The Starting Fees and Closing Fees are going to be waived for the first 3 months, and we will charge a reduced fee for Reserve Price Auctions and Buy Out Auctions.

As well, I’m offering up a series of FREE Prizes as soon as our member grows to 250 members, 500 members and 1000 thousand members. The way this will work is that once we achieve 250 member status an award will be given at random for $250 worth of bitcoins. Then this will repeat when we reach 500 members.  (Each member must have one 7 day auction closed and positive feedback for it to qualify.)

The site will open on Aug. 1. In the meantime, I welcome all comments and feedback and will do my best to answer any questions. Also suggestions and ideas are very much appreciated.

Currently, I am looking for someone trustworthy and experienced to help implement a quality shopping cart checkout/gateway system for the site which will run full time or at intervals, create bitcoin address connected invoices, generate new addresses upon invoice creation, enable invoice generation connected to bitcoin for the site itself, record paid invoices from bitcoin gateway (if possible).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BidBitcoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 09:32:34 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2011, 09:49:30 PM by BidBitcoins

I messed something up, and should have checked before I posted. It should be back up soon.
Sorry for the teaser.
BidBitcoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 09:50:02 PM

Bug Squashed.  Grin
bb

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 11:17:10 PM

First auction: design a bidbitcoins.com logo! Smiley
BidBitcoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 11:22:53 PM

First auction: design a bidbitcoins.com logo! Smiley

Good Idea!

I'll pay 1 Bitcoin for the best one submitted.
If it's truly spectacular, i'll throw in another.

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 11:30:53 PM

You can't imagine how hard I want to see that kind of sites succeed in the future

Btw, please, add a favicon Grin

Edit: your 'Registration PIN' can be OCR'd immediately, you should change it

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
BidBitcoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 11:45:43 PM

You can't imagine how hard I want to see that kind of sites succeed in the future

Btw, please, add a favicon Grin

Edit: your 'Registration PIN' can be OCR'd immediately, you should change it

Hi jackjack, Thanks!

I really want to see it succeed as well. I'll do my best to make it something the community can appreciate and enjoy. I'm going to work on the Favicon, but others are free to submit ideas and finished favicons. I'm not very artistic, but I can have a go at it.

The Registration Pin is only for bots, really, so it's not a security risk as far as I know. Is that what you are getting at?

Thanks for the input. It's very much appreciated.

NF6X

Activity: 98

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 11:46:00 PM

How about allowing connection via HTTPS?
BidBitcoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2011, 12:13:02 AM

How about allowing connection via HTTPS?

Should be done by tomorrow, hopefully. Good suggestion. Thanks NF6X
jayfitt

Activity: 14

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 12:55:31 AM

From what I've seen, the site looks good (my account isn't verified, can't login). My two concerns are https (already mentioned) and according to the privacy policy at trufina.com I may have to provide "other financial" information since I've changed addresses in the last year. Do you get a report from them and then activate accts?
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 01:06:41 AM

The Registration Pin is only for bots, really, so it's not a security risk as far as I know. Is that what you are getting at?
It's not a security risk but they are far too simple, bots can read them easily
Why not using recaptcha?

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
BitMofo

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 01:15:53 AM

Very nice design! I'll definitely be checking it out! Best of luck!

1HNffyHktcD2iB6WJhPxKbALJdg4dwerTG
BidBitcoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2011, 01:22:35 AM

From what I've seen, the site looks good (my account isn't verified, can't login). My two concerns are https (already mentioned) and according to the privacy policy at trufina.com I may have to provide "other financial" information since I've changed addresses in the last year. Do you get a report from them and then activate accts?

Hi jayfitt,
   I am working on getting the https in place at this time.
   Trufina is not one of those "credit check" type websites. I don't think you have to pay for anything additionally. It's up to them to confirm you. I'm pretty sure of this. Their process is not too difficult to get through. They use your credit card data to first confirm you, initially, then they ask you a series of questions that, based on their web search using their customized algorithm, they grab your data, and if you don't match the questions right, you get a new set of questions. Im pretty sure they have some database access, but the companies that have real good database access charge the host site a large fee to verify customers. Trufina also uses Phone confirmation
   The point is not for me to scrutinize everyone and make sure you have an A+ credit rating, it's to make sure that people do not sign up for the site, create some positive feedback, then scam people for something relatively expensive, only to sign up again and do the same thing. That's the main reason for this, is fraud prevention for the buyers. It does not have to be too complicated. Feedback is the first step, then ID verification comes in right behind it. If anyone has any better solutions that are less expensive and less intrusive, by all means, please share them, and i'll consider it. So far, Trufina seems workable.
   If you sign up, and cannot get verified for some reason, then I will make allowances, but you'll have to send scans of personal info like credit card and drivers license and a current bill that matches the address on both.
   I figured people would appreciate good security without too much infringement, so I opted for Trufina instead of this method, but either one can solve the problem. This way I can avoid holding everyone's personal info until or unless I become a full fledged registered business.

Hope that helps.
TheBitMan

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 01:22:42 AM

If you still want a logo made I made one below. I can make them a little better than that, just need to know how you want it.

TheBitMan

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 01:23:14 AM

I can make the coin look better and make it small obviously lol
DrKennethNoisewater

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 01:27:22 AM

Hello everyone,
   I would like to introduce a new website and pet project of mine.  http://bidbitcoins.com If it takes off and people like it, I’ll make it better and better as I can afford to. It’s basically a buyers and sellers marketplace like E-Bay but all sale are conducted in bitcoins only. I’m almost done with the site setup and I should be ready to take customers registrations starting tomorrow, Aug. 1    So what is Bid Bitcoins? I invite people to check out the site.
*I intend to make it a competing site to the largest online auction site in as many ways as possible. The benefits will be:
*No Chargebacks unless agreed to by both parties.
*Anonymity from banks in all transactions.
*No banking fees for money transfers to sellers from buyers.
*Every auction or item placed for sale and sold through Bid Bitcoins supports the whole bitcoin community and helps further bitcoins acceptance into the marketplace.
*Much less fraud potential for both parties. Credit cards lend themselves to fraud by their very nature, as card numbers can easily be stolen and used to make purchases, than mailed to themselves at unwitting victims addresses.
*Users/Members accounts with money cannot be frozen due to “suspected” fraud.
*No user credit card data is stored onsite. Anyone who hacks the site will not have  access to accounts of any kind and therefore cannot cause financial damage directly to any user by theft.

What kind of features does Bid Bitcoins have?  Here is the full list:
* Currency of all goods and services denominated in Bitcoin
* All Merchants will be required to accept Bitcoin, although other arrangements can be made offsite.
* All forms of auction including Dutch Buy it Outright, Reserve Price, Reverse Auctions, Wanted Ads.
* 1 Day, 3 Days, 7 Day Days, 14 Days, and 30 Day auction choices.
* Make  Offer  Options.
* First Bidder Auctions
* Select Starting Price
*  Define Offer Acceptance range
* Swap Offers Option
* Upload up to 3 Free images and 6 images total.
* Auto Relist
* Batch Uploads
* Personal Store Options. Basic Store 100% Free
* Block Users
* Postage Calculation Setup
* Reputation / Comments / Feedback
* Preferred Seller Features
* User Enabled Skin Changes
* Combined Purchase Invoices
* Ask Seller a Question / Member Messaging

Now, I’ve decided for this to be a personal hobby project for now. If it becomes widely used and accepted, I may change it into a business, file and all that. But for now, it’s a n experiment, and no more.

Since I wanted to site to be closest to the true spirit of bitcoin, I decided I did not want to accept money at all for the services, and it will all be done in bitcoin. This means there is no way for me to identify people who use the site without either taking credit card and drivers license info myself or having people email in their paperwork to prove who they are. Instead I opted for using a 3rd party service called Trufina located at http://www.trufina.com – They are completely unrelated to Bid Bitcoins.com. As a matter of fact, I only recently stumbled upon them, signed up and found I approve of their service enough to incorporate it into the site. They charge a flat one-time fee of $5.00 for their service to sign up. That’s the downside. The upside is, that we’ll give you $5.00 in bitcoin credit towards your fees on the site.

I intend to launch the site for FREE USE for 3 Months, starting on Aug. 1. This is to help everyone get acquainted with it without risk and for me to get important feedback from the members on how to make improvements and for me to fix all potential problems. I do appreciate the feedback and help.
The only services that will cost are enhanced auction services such as Home Page featured, highlighted, bold text, and extra categories. Those all cost just a small fee. The Starting Fees and Closing Fees are going to be waived for the first 3 months, and we will charge a reduced fee for Reserve Price Auctions and Buy Out Auctions.

As well, I’m offering up a series of FREE Prizes as soon as our member grows to 250 members, 500 members and 1000 thousand members. The way this will work is that once we achieve 250 member status an award will be given at random for $250 worth of bitcoins. Then this will repeat when we reach 500 members.  (Each member must have one 7 day auction closed and positive feedback for it to qualify.)

The site will open on Aug. 1. In the meantime, I welcome all comments and feedback and will do my best to answer any questions. Also suggestions and ideas are very much appreciated.

Currently, I am looking for someone trustworthy and experienced to help implement a quality shopping cart checkout/gateway system for the site which will run full time or at intervals, create bitcoin address connected invoices, generate new addresses upon invoice creation, enable invoice generation connected to bitcoin for the site itself, record paid invoices from bitcoin gateway (if possible).

Did you really have to mimic Ebays logo and stuff?

Now all you need are some people selling some shit...........
BidBitcoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2011, 01:30:30 AM

I Like, I like. Can you place an auction hammer and stand in the background that does not impose heavily on the central words and coin? Do you think it will improve the look at all? I'm trying to use the association of something familiar to link the mind to the brand. That's why I used the ebay like logo to begin with, which I admit needs changing. Can we see how that would look?
Great work so far, TheBitMan
TheBitMan

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 01:33:00 AM

I Like, I like. Can you place an auction hammer and stand in the background that does not impose heavily on the central words and coin? Do you think it will improve the look at all? I'm trying to use the association of something familiar to link the mind to the brand. That's why I used the ebay like logo to begin with, which I admit needs changing. Can we see how that would look?
Great work so far, TheBitMan
I will try  Grin
Anonymous

August 01, 2011, 01:33:31 AM

This is actually a brilliant idea. That said, that logo looks like hell and I'd advise against it. Find a designer willing to work with you on a consistent theme.
TheBitMan

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 01:40:50 AM

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: